It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2004, 12:45 PM   #1

SnJmom HB User
Smile Need Advise please

HI , i am new to board and was just wondering if anyone can tell me what i am in for, I went today and got impressions for my dentures and i am going back the 22nd to have teethe pulled and they will place my immediate denture, (I beleive thats what it is called) Can yall tell me what i am in for, What i need to exspect, I would like to hear good and bad. I am so nervous about this, I know i am doing the right thing, But I have so many mixed emotions about it, I will be so happy to be able to smile again, and have pretty teethe, I think it will help my over all appearence. Thanks so much for your time in advance , I will be waitting for replys, Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2004, 12:53 PM   #2
(female)

db2kp HB User
Re: Need Advise please

SnJmom,

Are you getting an upper and lower denture?

I've seen many people have upper teeth extracted and have an immediate denture placed. You cannot remove the immediate denture until you go back to see the dentist, because you won't be able to get it back in due to some swelling. It is like a bandage over your stitches.

As for removing lower teeth...if you're having them all removed, I highly advise that you don't. Lower dentures "float". They don't have anything to hold onto, and there's not much suction. Some people do well with them, but it takes some getting used to.

Let me know...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2004, 01:08 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User

Sn- The long and the short of it are you are in for one of the longest roller coaster rides you can imagine. Fear, anxiety, pain, discomfort, shock, embarrassment, pride and knowing you can never go back are just some of the things you will encounter in the first 24 hours. Wearing dentures for the first time feels like someone put snow shovels in your mouth. On top of the awkwardness of the dentures there are a whole bunch of things that just don't feel right. You will produce saliva like an ocean, every time you open your mouth to speak you will think the dentures are going to jump out. When you try to drink you won't quite know where your lips really are. This will all pass.
What kind of support system do you have? For me letting my family and friends in on what was going to be happening helped trememdously. Not everyone wants to tell their friends they are getting dentures but there is strength in numbers. Another thing that helps is finding someone who is a denture wearer and talking to them. Ask them questions, take notes. Also, write your questions down that you want to ask the dentist- having a note pad handy will help your memory when he is poking around in your mouth and making demands of you.
The good things will come along too. They take time. Eating will be a chore, speaking and smiling will come quicker. Take your time. Be demanding of the dentist- go back when you feel you need to, adjustments are the name of the game for a while. Follow the dentists directions and when something does not make sense- ASK. Since you have never worn dentures before everything will be new to you.
There will come a time when you get up and put your teeth in and barely think about it. You will be able to eat and have a wonderful smile. The next couple of weeks will be hard- ask any questions here that you want. Talk to your spouse and children- make them part of the process- they will be in a better position to support you if they understand your anxiety.
About the lowers- if there is any way at all to salvage a few teeth for the lower denture to clip onto- do it. As the other post said, lowers just sit there and until your mouth is trained they will flop about whenever your tongue moves.

Take care-

Old 01-13-2004, 03:25 PM   #4

SnJmom HB User

Db and sandy ,
Thanks so much for replying so quick to my questions, Db i am haveing all but 2 teethe pulled on bottom and there putting in a partial , The dentist said that would make it more stable so it wont wobble and move so much, I think he said he was going to keep the eye teeth, So all the rest will come out. I am so nervous , Ughhhhh . BUt thanks for replying . I will see if i get anymore feed back.
Have a great day all.

Old 01-14-2004, 01:00 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User

Sn- I chat with a woman on another board that has what is called an overdenture for her lower teeth. They kept the two lower canines and did root canals on them, ground them down to the gum line and put some sort of special attachments on them- her denture snaps onto the attachments and is very secure. Her upper denture is a conventional denture. She is in her late 30's and has worn dentures for about 8 years. I sort of wish I had met her before I got mine. I am not sure I would have been a candidate but it would have been nice to be somewhat knowledgeable about what is available. It sounds like your dentist is being very thorough in his planning for your future.

Old 01-14-2004, 07:51 PM   #6

mysticvenus HB User

Hi Sn,

I had 26 of my teeth removed 4 weeks ago and had immediate dentures put in. Like you, I really didn't have any other choice. I will share my experience with you. I don't know that mine is typical but it may help you. Like you I had the impressions done while I still had teeth in my mouth. Because of that, my dentist told me that my immediate dentures may not fit exactly right. An oral surgeon performed my extractions under IV sedation. I remember only the ***** of the needle when he inserted the IV. The next thing I remember was waking up in my own bed. The day of the surgery, I pretty much slept though until about 8:00 in the evening. I experienced quite a bit of bleeding but didn't have too much swelling, I think mainly because I really used the ice packs. Word of advise, bags of frozen peas make excellent ice packs!!!!! By 8:00 in the evening I was sitting up and trying to talk. The dentures do feel like a couple of bricks in your mouth at first and talking is a bit fustrating. I had my extractions done on a Monday and I took the whole week off of work. I could have probably gone back to work on Thursday but elected to just take it easy and allow myself some time. I stayed on the pain pills for three days, but I'm a real chicken when it comes to pain. Eating took on a whole new meaning that first week. I survived on baby food, pudding, yogurt and Boost. Since my mouth hurt anyway I really wasn't that hungry. By the start of the second week, I was able to start eating soft foods, eggs, pasta, etc. Chewing wasn't really easy and I mostly mashed the food up, put it in my mouth and just used my tongue. I had my first soft reline done on Tuesday. I've experienced quite a bit of shrinkage on my upper and it was starting to feel loose. With the reline it is quite snug. My lowers are loose even with the reline but it is mainly because I don't have a good bone ridge so there in nothing down there on hang on to. AFter 4 weeks I'm still eating semi-soft foods, no steak yet but I can chew now without too much discomfort. The biggest hurdle you will probably have to overcome as I am sure some of us newbies have found out is the emotional stress. The loss of your teeth can be really hard. I had two weeks from the time of my impressions to my extractions to go though all the mourning process but it was still a big shock especially the first time you see yourself without teeth. I confided in friends that I was having it done and they have been very supportive. I also have a very loving and caring husband who has been a great source of comfort. I wish I had other options at the time but I didn't and so I have resigned myself to the fact that I have to wear dentures. I love my new smile (and the ten or so pounds I have lost). Just keep in mind as you are going through the tough times that it does get better. Eating gets easier, talking gets easier, the pain goes away and you are left with a perfect smile that cavities can't touch.

Oh yeah, and by the way, it's a breeze going into the dentist now to have my teeth worked on. I just pop them out, hand them to him and sit there while he works. No novacane, no root canal, no fillings or drills. Yeah, life is good!!!!

Old 01-19-2004, 12:31 PM   #7

bunny53 HB User
Smile Re: Need Advise please

Hello to All--I am so glad I found this thread. I have an appointment on Wednesday to see about dentures. My preference is the immediate dentures as I don't want to be without teeth since '"m in a very public environment (higher education). To say that I'm nervous is the understatement of the new millennium since I will be having all my teeth extracted. My biggest concern is how quickly one adapts to new patterns of speech. I understand that this is an individual adaptation, but what has been your experience? My plan is to take off the entire week, as you did, in order to get accustomed to the new dentures in relative privacy, but eventually I will have to return to work. Will it be obvious after a week that something is radically different with my speech? The eating part is not so critical as I can compensate for that easily. It's the speech part that has me concerned.

A very nervous Bunny53.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticvenus
Hi Sn,

I had 26 of my teeth removed 4 weeks ago and had immediate dentures put in. Like you, I really didn't have any other choice. I will share my experience with you. I don't know that mine is typical but it may help you. Like you I had the impressions done while I still had teeth in my mouth. Because of that, my dentist told me that my immediate dentures may not fit exactly right. An oral surgeon performed my extractions under IV sedation. I remember only the ***** of the needle when he inserted the IV. The next thing I remember was waking up in my own bed. The day of the surgery, I pretty much slept though until about 8:00 in the evening. I experienced quite a bit of bleeding but didn't have too much swelling, I think mainly because I really used the ice packs. Word of advise, bags of frozen peas make excellent ice packs!!!!! By 8:00 in the evening I was sitting up and trying to talk. The dentures do feel like a couple of bricks in your mouth at first and talking is a bit fustrating. I had my extractions done on a Monday and I took the whole week off of work. I could have probably gone back to work on Thursday but elected to just take it easy and allow myself some time. I stayed on the pain pills for three days, but I'm a real chicken when it comes to pain. Eating took on a whole new meaning that first week. I survived on baby food, pudding, yogurt and Boost. Since my mouth hurt anyway I really wasn't that hungry. By the start of the second week, I was able to start eating soft foods, eggs, pasta, etc. Chewing wasn't really easy and I mostly mashed the food up, put it in my mouth and just used my tongue. I had my first soft reline done on Tuesday. I've experienced quite a bit of shrinkage on my upper and it was starting to feel loose. With the reline it is quite snug. My lowers are loose even with the reline but it is mainly because I don't have a good bone ridge so there in nothing down there on hang on to. AFter 4 weeks I'm still eating semi-soft foods, no steak yet but I can chew now without too much discomfort. The biggest hurdle you will probably have to overcome as I am sure some of us newbies have found out is the emotional stress. The loss of your teeth can be really hard. I had two weeks from the time of my impressions to my extractions to go though all the mourning process but it was still a big shock especially the first time you see yourself without teeth. I confided in friends that I was having it done and they have been very supportive. I also have a very loving and caring husband who has been a great source of comfort. I wish I had other options at the time but I didn't and so I have resigned myself to the fact that I have to wear dentures. I love my new smile (and the ten or so pounds I have lost). Just keep in mind as you are going through the tough times that it does get better. Eating gets easier, talking gets easier, the pain goes away and you are left with a perfect smile that cavities can't touch.

Oh yeah, and by the way, it's a breeze going into the dentist now to have my teeth worked on. I just pop them out, hand them to him and sit there while he works. No novacane, no root canal, no fillings or drills. Yeah, life is good!!!!

Old 01-19-2004, 12:54 PM   #8

SnJmom HB User

HI , i am sorry i havent got back to boards over weekend, But i wanted to thankyou for getting back to me,It is so nice to know I am not alone. It helps knowing other women are going through the same thing as i am. I Hope you all are both doing ok , Please keep me posted as how yall are, I will be thinking about you , I hope everything works out for yall. Thanks again for you time.

Closed Thread