It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2004, 06:05 PM   #1

caitlyn's mom HB User
Has anybody had a flipper

Hi i am new to this board. I was wondering if anybody has had a flipper and if so what is your experience with them.

Old 01-13-2004, 11:36 PM   #2

tryingtofeelgood HB User
Re: Has anybody had a flipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlyn's mom
Hi i am new to this board. I was wondering if anybody has had a flipper and if so what is your experience with them.
Hi _ I have had a flipper, it just slips in and looks like a natural tooth (if the cosmetic dentist is a good one). It has a palate and attached is a tooth. You cannot eat with them in, because the tooth can break easily. It's mostly for aesthetics.

hope this helps

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2004, 05:00 AM   #3

SnJmom HB User

Hi , I have a flipper , I have had it for about 3 yrs now, I havent had any problems with it, I have 4 teethe on it. At first it feels weird takes some getting use too , But i didnt think it was to bad. I wish ya lots of luck , take care.

Old 01-14-2004, 06:09 AM   #4

caitlyn's mom HB User

Thank you very much for your info it has helped a great deal.A couple of months ago my daughter was crawling on the living room floor she was reaching for something she should not have been i went to get her and tripped on the corner of my throw rug and landed face first into the coffee table knocking my front tooth out. I have been to the dentist. I am afraid of dentists. I decided while i was there to have all the work i need done. fillings extractions etc. He said i could use a flipper for my front tooth. I would really like to have a partial plate because he has to pull a couple on the top side but plates are so expensive i have a dental plan but it does not cover the plate or flipper.

Old 01-14-2004, 08:12 AM   #5
(female)

db2kp HB User

Caitlyn's mom,
It sounds like you have other missing teeth on the top arch, correct?
A flipper is great to replace a front tooth, and if you have other upper teeth missing, I would say use the flipper as a temporary fix.
If you DO have other missing upper teeth, there is going to be alot of shifting going on and your bite will change over a period of time, unless those teeth are replaced.
I've seen quite a few patients that had flippers and I would have never known. Like the other poster said, make sure you have a dentist that is good with esthetics.

Good luck!

Old 01-14-2004, 08:19 AM   #6

caitlyn's mom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2kp
Caitlyn's mom,
It sounds like you have other missing teeth on the top arch, correct?
A flipper is great to replace a front tooth, and if you have other upper teeth missing, I would say use the flipper as a temporary fix.
If you DO have other missing upper teeth, there is going to be alot of shifting going on and your bite will change over a period of time, unless those teeth are replaced.
I've seen quite a few patients that had flippers and I would have never known. Like the other poster said, make sure you have a dentist that is good with esthetics.

Good luck!
Thanks for the info db2kb. I have a couple missing in the back and 2 on the left side upper.I have a wonderful dentist.I do plan on using the flipper only temp until i can afford a upper partial.

Old 01-14-2004, 08:23 AM   #7

caitlyn's mom HB User

I also have another question. The tooth that i knocked out is beside my front right tooth the root is still there and the dentist has to pull it does this root hurt to come out where it is in the front?

Old 01-14-2004, 12:11 PM   #8
(female)

db2kp HB User

Are you asking if it will hurt to have it out? or will it hurt the tooth next to it?
Getting numb in such a tender area is not "fun". As soon as you're numb it will be a breeze. Ask for some topical anesthetic before you have your injection, it helps, since it numbs the area.
The tooth next to it will be fine, and you'll have your flipper and a beautiful smile again!

When's your appt? Good luck!

db

Old 01-14-2004, 12:27 PM   #9

caitlyn's mom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2kp
Are you asking if it will hurt to have it out? or will it hurt the tooth next to it?
Getting numb in such a tender area is not "fun". As soon as you're numb it will be a breeze. Ask for some topical anesthetic before you have your injection, it helps, since it numbs the area.
The tooth next to it will be fine, and you'll have your flipper and a beautiful smile again!

When's your appt? Good luck!

db
believe it or not i am not afraid of the injection. i just had a filling in the same tooth other side last week it wasen't so bad . What i am afraid of is the extraction. Right now i am in the process of having the work done to get ready for the flipper fillings extractions etc.. once this is done they will put the flipper in. I still can't believe i am doing all this with little fear as i have been phobic of the dentist in the past the only thing that would get me in the chair was an abcess tooth and we all know what that feels like. i have been blessed with a great dentist whom i am very comfortable with. My next app is on jan 28 for 3 fillings then after that they will probably start the extraction process. i was just a little nervous of that perticular tooth being pulled.

Old 01-14-2004, 12:55 PM   #10

tomas1979 HB User

i had a flipper and it was great for appearance but it wasnt too convienient. you have to take it out when you eat which is a pain cause when i went to roy rogers at madison sq garden i left mine on the tray and threw it out, went back an hour later and dug it out of the trash.
then in disney world i lost it when i was drunk
i have a bridge now but my gum where they took the tooth from is all caved in looking
if i had to do it again i would have gotten implants

Old 01-14-2004, 03:02 PM   #11

caitlyn's mom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomas1979
i had a flipper and it was great for appearance but it wasnt too convienient. you have to take it out when you eat which is a pain cause when i went to roy rogers at madison sq garden i left mine on the tray and threw it out, went back an hour later and dug it out of the trash.
then in disney world i lost it when i was drunk
i have a bridge now but my gum where they took the tooth from is all caved in looking
if i had to do it again i would have gotten implants
i here implants are very expensive and painful. lol i hope i never have to dig mine out of the trash. i will eat take out lol

Closed Thread