It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2004, 11:45 AM   #1

labgirl HB User
are you there rhody? amalgam removal

I have read a lot of what Rhody has posted on these boards, and I have a few questions. However, I would like to hear from anyone who has had their mercury fillings removed.....the more input the better.

After suffering symptoms of what I believe to be mercury poisoning, I visited a naturopath who works hand in hand with a biological dentist. I had an alternative type of testing done (electrodermal screening) to determine to what extent the mercury was causing my problems. I realize there is no definitive test to quantitate mercury in the body (my blood test came back "negative" for mercury). To make a long story short, it was determined that mercury was most likely causing my body significant problems, as well as excessive yeast in the body, referred to as yeast syndrome. From my research, I know that mercury toxicity and yeast overgrowth are related. The naturopath recommended starting me on supplements that will kill and eliminate the yeast, which will in turn prepare my body to release the mercury. After being on the first group of supplements, it's recommended that we introduce some detox agents (I don't know what these are yet), but not chelators at this point. I have an appointment for a consult with the biological dentist in a few weeks, to determine what the process will be for amalgam removal. I am almost 100% sure I should get the fillings out (9 of them), but what I would like to know is....Is there anyone who has gotten their fillings removed, and if so, did you suffer more afterward? Or do you feel better than ever? I have read so much about the pros and cons. I believe that if it is done correctly and by a biological dentist, there should be no adverse effects. Am I wrong? I don't want to look back and wish I never got them removed, or end up feeling worse.
than I do now.

By the way, my symptoms of fatigue started a few months ago, and then in December of 2003, I began with headaches, brain fog, tingling/partial numbness of my foot/leg/hand, hair loss, extreme dizziness, and feeling that something is just not right with my focusing/vision in one eye. I also have been getting anxiety attacks, have loss of appetite, and just feel very drained and lethargic all the time, no matter how much sleep I get.

For the record, I am one of the people who believe that amalgam fillings should be banned. I truly believe that they can and do cause major problems, no matter what any dentist tells you. I had all of my fillings put in either as a child, or as an adult before I knew of the dangers. I'm 32 now. I think my last filling was put in about 3-5 years ago. I never suffered any effects immediately after having them put in. It's only recently that I'm noticing problems, which is in turn causing me to research this issue to no end.

Some of these symptoms I have are symptoms of multiple sclerosis, and I have an appt with a neurologist in a few weeks. But I still believe that I should get the fillings out no matter what. I have had an eye exam by an ophthalmologist, who ordered an MRI of my brain/and around my eyes. Everything was normal. All of my blood work from a routine physical was also normal.

Any thoughts and experiences with amalgam removal would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2004, 06:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User
Re: are you there rhody? amalgam removal

Hi labgirl (and everyone),

I'm glad to hear you have good treatment by physicians, who may specialize in that type of care. I only had one naturopath treat me for a short time; the rest of the time I just had to make my decisions based from my experiments.

Did you get gradually worse? That's what happened to me. Then I fought this condition with herbs, dietary changes, and limited exercise. It wasn't until my tooth broke that I linked my problems to the mercury-silver dental amalgams. And after the removal of these amalgams, I slowly got better. I now have cilantro almost every day. I feel so good now, that I sometimes forget how bad I used to feel. I heard that the mind forces you to forget in a way (of painful conditions), but I force myself to not forget. The pain and suffering was so unbearable...plus doctors I saw years ago could not help me...I had to help myself...with my experiments and reading...I learned so much.

I agree that the mercury-silver dental amalgams should be banned as dental restoration materials. First, they are composed of one of the most toxic substances on the earth, and the mercury in them does leak throughout the body. These are facts, not just stories. Secondly, this mercury accumulates in the body. Third, scientists do not clearly understand what is the safe level for mercury for each of us, as we all are individuals. They suspect that we all react a little differently.

It's interesting that some associations claim they are safe, without any definitive proof. Are they just protecting their economic interests? What if it was proven that these dental amalgams were causing pain and suffering to thousands of people? The jury is not out on this issue...they are learning more all the time.

To begin with, it sure would be nice if they stopped calling them "silver fillings". To me, I think that's clear misrepresentation of the what's really contained in this amalgam, especially since they are ignoring a really toxic metal. Mercury is the metal of highest compositon. Let's start calling them what they are; that is "mercury fillings" or "mercury-silver dental amalgams". There's other metals too in these amalgams, but mercury and silver typically are about 80 percent of the mixture.

We need to know this, so that we can make informed decisions about what materials are put in our bodies. Maybe some of us, just don't want this mercury in there, no matter what anyone says. How many times in the past have doctors and dentists said something was safe and then they found out that it wasn't? At one time, didn't the ADA say that the dental amalgam was a hard substance that did not leak this mercury (or some words to that effect)? Now what do they have to say about this mercury that continually leaks into our bodies, spreading to our brain, liver, and kidneys etc.?

Yes, I would also like to hear of more information about people who had their dental amalgams removed, and how they feel and have felt. I know or have heard some people have had trouble with their "white fillings" too. Fortunately, my "white fillings" have worked out great for me...now about 10 years with absolutely no problems. They haven't fallen out or cracked, like some people might want to scare you in thinking that way.... I had a great cosmetic dentist take care of me and I've heard that these cosmetic fillings are getting better all the time.

Wouldn't you all rather have all nice white teeth, rather than teeth spotted with gray-black metal? Wouldn't it be nice if more dentists helped us look and feel better? The more training that there is for these dentists to do a good job with this "white" restoration and the better that these materials are for us, the better I think dentistry will become in the future. Why would the ADA say it's unethical for some dentists to allow us better choices? That has never made any sense to me. Let's move on...as we advance in the 21st century....

I think that we have to spend more time learning about the toxicity of dental restoration materials and cementing agents. It's an important issue that we can discuss. Also, root canals with the use of a latex type of material, and other issues that revolve around other dental toxicity are interesting. Mercury is a hot topic for me, but I respect that there are other problems that other people have had, that equally have caused them great difficulty.

Old 01-15-2004, 12:43 PM   #3

labgirl HB User

hello everyone,

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree with what you are saying, Rhody. And I do believe that everyone reacts differently(or not at all) to mercury in their bodies. I am just one of those people who it is affecting greatly. I do feel I have been getting progressively worse, although my symptoms started only a few months back. I don't want to wait to see how much worse they can get! I feel lucky to be armed with some solid information on how to change things before it gets really bad.....

Some questions for Rhody (or anyone who might know)

Is it all right to start cilantro when my fillings are still in? Or should I wait until they are removed? Did your body react in any negative way when you started it? Do you eat it raw or cooked, and how much each day?

Are you taking, or have you taken any other herbs or supplements that are supposed to help the body release mercury? I have heard selenium and alpha lipoic acid are good, but I don't want to be putting too much in my body either.

In what way did you change your diet? I would be interested to know what works and what doesn't, although I know it varies from person to person. The naturopath I went to told me that the clay baths work well to release mercury. Anyone heard of that, or had any experience? I'm new to these natural remedies, and I don't want to be gullible and get sucked into something if it's a scam.

Please share your experiences!

Old 01-15-2004, 02:25 PM   #4

labgirl HB User

One more thing....

Is there anyone out there who can tell me if it was painful having the amalgams removed? Do they freeze the area, put you out completely? Am I able to go right to work after, or is there a lot of pain to deal with?

I'm planning on asking my dentist these same questions, but it's nice to hear from people who have actually been "in the chair".

Old 01-15-2004, 08:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi labgirl,

When I had my dental amalgams removed, I did not have great pain...rather I might say it was just discomfort (for some period of time while waiting for them to finish). I thought of how well I would be...how fast I would run...how I would no longer have pain. That's what helped me get through it all. One time the novocaine did not work very well. I theorize it might have been because the night-before I had a lot of Vitamin C rich fruit that I mixed up in my Vitamix. I used to eat copious amounts of fruit and vegetables for health reasons (and still do). I heard that a very large amount of Vitamin C can neutralize these local anesthetics somewhat. But, I'm not sure if that's why it did it to me. I'm only guessing about that. While this dentist drilled and I could still feel it, with my right hand I kept motioning for more novocaine. The dentist seemed a little frustrated that I still had some feelings around the area that he was working, but he finally got it so that I didn't have pain.

This procedure for me, did not impact whether I returned the next day to work at all. There were no problems with that. I was just so happy to get rid of those ugly gray-black poisonous metals.

I read that it's not good to eat cilantro while the mercury fillings are in the teeth. The reason is that cilantro apparently can penetrate the blood brain barrier and will move the mercury around (that's why it's so good to take cilantro after the source of mercury is removed). I waited until I had all my dental amalgams removed before I did any experiments with anti-mercury components. One time, one of my anti-mercury experiment failed, right after I had the amalgams replaced. I took selenium and two other ingredients. I don't want to mention what they were, because in combination they are powerful in pulling mercury out of the body. I got so sick from my experiment, that I honestly thought I was going to die. I've detailed this experience before.

I eat raw cilantro about four or five times a week, mixed with food. The amount is probably about a small handful. I've found that slow-detox for me, has been best. I just wanted to get better. Getting better was so positive, even if I wasn't a hundred percent better right away. Constant improvement was my goal. With the cilantro, I noticed no bad side effects (but I didn't take this cilantro until about seven or eight years after the amalgams were removed and I was already feeling better. I think with cilantro, eating Vitamin C rich foods, like fresh spinach, brocolli, and fruits might be a good idea.

I changed my diet many years ago, by eating mostly non-processed foods. I eat a lot of raw foods too (it's important to include a lot of raw uncooked foods). For snacks, I'll eat a combination of peanuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkins seeds, and raisins. I also consume natural whole grain cereals that I prepare with my Vitamix. These whole grains are like flax seed, wheat berries, brown rice, and millet.

I took herbs in large amounts before I had my amalgams removed. I was fighting for survival (and they helped). Since doctors were making me worse with their drugs or doing nothing for me, I took action. I followed alternative medicine. I read many books on the subject. One of the best for beginners, is the "Way of Herbs". I make my own herbal teas out of bulk herbs. I try to use whole leaves or roots, and not the powdered forms. I thought of taking clay at one time, but since I've been doing so well, I just as well not do any more experiments. I still take some herbs, occasionally. They still help when I overdo the exercise, and some mild muscle pains occur. The herbs are still "magic" for me, when I find the pain going away. I got lots of stories about herbs.

If you would like more information, please let me know. I didn't want to write too much, as it sometimes get then hard to read. My cure from "uncureable" fibromyalgia symptoms took me decades, therefore my stories could take decades to explain too.

Old 01-15-2004, 09:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi labgirl,

Just another thing or two. No, I didn't have to get knocked out. I just sat there, with a wide-open mouth, with a dental dam, while they drilled and drilled. Yes, sometimes being subjected to all of that can be hard (It's kind of boring and you can't wait for them to get done). But, I was so glad to do it and my dentist worked at keeping me pain-free.

At that time, I didn't know the future...that I would definitely get better...but I knew I was getting rid of toxic materials that were in my mouth. The procedure for me took about three months before I completely had white teeth. Maybe my dentist, while supporting the ADA, knew that removing eight amalgams over a longer period of time was best. I heard that we are exposed to mercury as they remove these substances, so removing them all at once might have been too hard of a burden for the body. My dentist, did each quadrant, two amalgams at a time, for the total of eight fillings. He made a mold and another lab made the replacement white filling...then the white filling was cemented in on the following visit. I believe it was porcelain, but I'm not one hundred percent certain....

Old 01-15-2004, 09:52 PM   #7

af1234 HB User

hey rhody, you mentioned something on cilantro in your previous entry i was just wondering are you talking about consuming it overrall or eating it raw? and you also read that consuming cilantro with mercury fillings in teeth is bad.. does mean as long as the filling stays in its bad to consume it or just for a certain period of time after the mercury filling was put in?

this is a interesting thread wierd part is i just had 3 fillings today and it was the silver ones ahh thanks for all the info
btw are there only 2 types of fillings? white and silver (known as mercury) colored

Old 01-17-2004, 06:48 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi,

I consume the cilantro raw. I mix it with other food, just like you would do with parsley. I read that the cilantro has a way of moving the mercury. They suggested waiting until after the removal of the source of mercury before consuming regular amounts of cilantro. It's not a matter of being bad or good, but trying to do the best thing.

Also from what I've read, for most people they don't have to panic when they have mercury fillings put in (and then suddenly realize that mercury was placed in their mouth near the brain). Just be aware that this mercury will slowly leak out of these fillings and accumulate in the body over years of time. A person should have plenty of time to decide whether they would like to continue with these gray-black fillings or other less toxic ones. (Of course, isolated cases could mean that the toxic fillings should be removed right away.)

There are at least three general types of dental fillings...gold, white, and mercury-silver dental amalgams. There are many different types of white fillings too. There may be other types, but that's the only ones that I've heard about.

When you had the "silver" mercury fillings put in your teeth, did your dentist mention to you that approximately half of this filling is mercury? Did your dentist tell you that this mercury leaks continually, exposing you to one of the most toxic elements to the human body? Wouldn't it be nice, if they just told us?

Old 01-18-2004, 12:04 PM   #9

af1234 HB User

lol.. yea that wouldve definately been nice.. i dont know what to say. its funny how i got fillings and the same night i read your post on cilantro and mercury leakage and got worried about the fillings i just put in. i have about 6, 4 little ones that just cover a tip or the edge and 2 that fills in the tooth on a corner

about the cilantro.. its just as long you dont consume it regularly it should be fine right i eat cilantro once in a while and its mostly cooked into foods for the taste..
thanks for the info rhody!

Old 01-21-2004, 01:53 PM   #10

sandyjoe827 HB User
Effects of mercury amalgams

Hi!

I was just browsing this board, trying to read up on mercury amalgams since I'm thinking perhaps all of my "silver fillings" i received as a kid are now causing me problems. About 1 1/2 years ago 2 of my silver fillings were cracked and had to be removed. I've still got a mouthful. I was wondering if anyone else experienced strange sensations in their cheeks and/or jawbones. It almost feels like an infected tooth feels when you're on pain medication; no pain, but sort of a cold flow filtering through every so often. Hard to explain, but it's what got me thinking that perhaps my recent problems are related to dental work. I've been suffering (just very recently) from headaches, very low body temperature (95-95.5), general malaise, dizziness, feeling like my head is in a vise, and various other things. Any description of symptoms you've experienced or any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated! I'm visiting my doctor tomorrow, but I'm sure he'll just think I'm crazy when I mention it!

Old 01-21-2004, 09:50 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Re: Effects of mercury amalgams

Hi,

As I've written before, the main problems I experienced with my teeth and mouth when I had the mercury fillings were loose teeth and gum disease. I developed severe headaches when my tooth broke and exposed one mercury-silver dental amalgam a little over 10 years ago. That established the link....

I know the predicament that you are in now. A lot of doctors who do not understand this issue thoroughly, in my experience, seem to want to dismiss it. It's really an issue a lot of them do not understand. Too many of the doctors I saw, gave me those "dumb" looks, with wide opened eyes and dropped jaws when I told them what happened to me.

But do not let them say disparaging remarks. For this we do know about mercury fillings. They are a major source of mercury for some people who have a mouth full of them, and this mercury does leak and accumulate through out the body. If you read up more about it, and be loaded with facts, then you have a better chance of discussing this with your doctor. I hope you have one of those doctors that will listen...and not just ignore what a lot of us already know.

I think you'll have to expect to do lots of research about this. I know, for me, that it was years of researching before I realized that these poisons were causing me all my problems. I also waited about five years after I had these dental amalgams removed, before saying much about this to other people. Once the source of the mercury is removed, then there's a lot of work, in detoxifying the body. It may be years before you feel completely better.

But I know a few things of encouragement. When I had those mercury fillings removed, my headaches stopped rather fast, my teeth tightened up and the gum disease went away. It was the fibromyalgia symptoms that were the slowest to go away, slowly dissappearing over the years. I still have very minor muscle pains, when I overdo the exercise. The healing is so very very slow. Mercury is an extremely damaging toxin...one of the worst elements in the world for the human body...even in very small amounts.

I hope that helps.

Old 02-01-2004, 11:11 AM   #12
(female)

SouthernTemptress HB User

Hi. I want to know what kind of supplements is good to take to prepare yourself for mercury filling removal?? And for how long before the removal should you start taking them?

Also, how do I find a good dentist in my area that is familiar with safe protocol when removing these fillings. I found one in my area in Las Vegas but the office pretty much tried to milk you for all you are worth with dental hygienists etc etc before doing that actual removal.

Thanks

Old 02-01-2004, 11:16 AM   #13
(female)

SouthernTemptress HB User

I really think that my fillings have been causing me problems of all sorts. And I need so many vitamins a day just to not be tired (fatigue just being one of the many many problems I've been having). I just need to find a good dentist who knows what he's doing and is not going to try to get rich off of me. I have called several places a year ago and they didn't know anything about mercury fillings so I just decided not to deal with them. I will travel to Arizona or California also if I have to. If anyone has any dentist they can refer, that would be nice.

Thanks

Old 02-01-2004, 08:56 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

I would think that any good cosmetic dentist should be able to help you. You would need a dental dam and make sure that the ventilation is good. Afterall, a lot of these dentists know that if they don't ventilate the office and patient well, that they are exposed to mercury vapors as well. They have a special protocol to protect them from mercury exposure. Ask them about it. I would question this cosmetic dentist to see what type of "white" fillings they would place into the teeth...to see their level of competence etc. Also try and talk to other people that had white fillings put in and see who they recommend. Please also read up a lot about this, so that you are smarter than the dental professionals that you see for treatment (about this mercury issue and white fillings).

When I had my fillings changed, from the ugly gray-black ones to white, I didn't have to mention much about my illness. I just told them I wanted them for cosmetic purposes. It's as simple as that. The minimum is that you'll have all-white teeth. If your health improves later on (like it did for me), that's a great bonus to let us all know about.

I went to a naturopath to see which white fillings were best for me, because I didn't want to get some other dental restoration materials that still made me sick. I think I got porcelain, which is very durable. I've had mine for about 10 years with no problems. You might want to see if you could find a doctor, naturopath, or biological dentist that understand this.

I experimented with anti-mercury supplements and got extremely sick for about a week, and thought I was going to die, just after I had the amalgams removed. So, I would be careful there, if you feel that mercury has been connected to your ill-health. I found for me, that if I stuck to my non-processed foods and mild herbs, that was best. Fresh raw salads and lots of fruits are good too. Vitamin C from these fruits help eliminate mercury.

To make it easy to eat these fruits, consider using a mixer or food processor and making up fresh juices, including the pulp and fiber. I hope that helps.

Closed Thread