It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2004, 10:19 AM   #1
(female)

savanannastar HB User
Question how long for dentures

Hi guys,I am definitly going for the full extractions and dentures,however me and my hubby wanted to start trying for a baby this year .I dont know if i should wait till pregnency is over or get it all done before.I really need the work done i have alot of bad teeth.Well if i do have the work done before trying to concieve how long will it take (extractions,fittings,dentures,follow-up)??Any advice,also will i have problems eating how long after can i start eating normal and how long does the pain last.Questions i think i should ask cause i dont wanna be on pain pills for long time and i want to be able to eat good if i am going to start trying.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2004, 12:29 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User
Re: how long for dentures

Get it done first! I got dentures after having the baby and I can tell you the emotional turmoil and post partum depression were magnified. Body image and self esteem can be at an all time low with a new baby and then adding removal of your teeth to it- forget it.
Start to finish you might be looking at maybe 4-6 weeks depending on the condition of your mouth and how many teeth have to be pulled. You should be off pain meds within a week. After that it is mostly over the counter stuff. You will also be finished with any antibiotic they put you on. There will be an period of adjustment to wearing dentures and as long as you can remain focused on your goals- the distraction of trying to have a baby is a good plan. That in itself should do wonders for your self esteem. Good luck- keep us posted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2004, 01:48 PM   #3
(female)

savanannastar HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandybeech
Get it done first! I got dentures after having the baby and I can tell you the emotional turmoil and post partum depression were magnified. Body image and self esteem can be at an all time low with a new baby and then adding removal of your teeth to it- forget it.
Start to finish you might be looking at maybe 4-6 weeks depending on the condition of your mouth and how many teeth have to be pulled. You should be off pain meds within a week. After that it is mostly over the counter stuff. You will also be finished with any antibiotic they put you on. There will be an period of adjustment to wearing dentures and as long as you can remain focused on your goals- the distraction of trying to have a baby is a good plan. That in itself should do wonders for your self esteem. Good luck- keep us posted.

Thanks sandy,I think i will get it done first i never thought of the emotional thing. I just hope i can find a good dentist now.What about the eating did you have trouble with that long?

Old 01-15-2004, 01:59 PM   #4
(female)

db2kp HB User

savanannastar,

I'm just curious...

Aren't there any salvagable teeth?

You sound like you're so young to have to have full dentures. There's nothing like having your natural teeth, or at least some of them.

It's completely up to you, but, I just was wondering.

Let me know,
db

Old 01-15-2004, 04:46 PM   #5
(female)

savanannastar HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2kp
savanannastar,

I'm just curious...

Aren't there any salvagable teeth?

You sound like you're so young to have to have full dentures. There's nothing like having your natural teeth, or at least some of them.

It's completely up to you, but, I just was wondering.

Let me know,
db

db,I wish they were salvagable i got alot of back teeth pulled and when i went to a dentist for a consultaion he said i need 10 more pulled that would leave me with about 5 so i went to another dentist he said also said 10 but that he would do bridge work and put pins and screws and all this other stuff to me and he also said it would be thousands of dollars more 5700.00 to be exact.anyway i have always brushed my teeth but it did not matter i always had problems with them ,my dad lost his to at a young age,i also lost a couple when i was preg with my son,maybe its a calcium thing who knows.I wish i did not have to do this either but i think it might be my only option.

Old 01-15-2004, 04:54 PM   #6

mysticvenus HB User

If they can salvage any on the bottom so that you can have an overdenture done, you may be happier. The lower denture in must cases, mine included don't fit very well. Good luck.

Old 01-15-2004, 09:16 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User

As with anything new- there is a learning curve- you have to expect it. You will need to re-learn everything your mouth is responsible for. Eating is something that you must make a concerted effort to work on. First of all, don't have unrealestic expectations. These are not real teeth, they are not attached to your jaws so don't expect them to perform like teeth. Do you know any other people with dentures? Preferably near your age- talk to them and find out first hand what it is all about.

Old 01-16-2004, 01:18 PM   #8

SnJmom HB User

HI , I was just reading your post and we sound so much alike, I just went to dentist monday and got the news that I should get all my teethe pulled and full dentures on top, and he is doing a partial on bottom he is leaving two teethe to anchor the partial too so it doesnt move around so much. I had the same problems as you when i got pregnant with my first son , I lost 2 teethe and the last 12 yr i have lost pretty much all the back ones even after trying to save them with rootcanals. BUt they didnt last either. I am just to the point i am so tired of haveing tootheaches. I tried to save my teethe but just didint do good and because of finacial problems this is what i am doing , Dentist did say though as much as he like to save teethe he beleives i am makeing the right desicion. I wish you lots of luck. I know how hard of a desicion this is.

Old 01-17-2004, 06:58 PM   #9
(female)

savanannastar HB User

Thanks guys,as for do i know anybody with full dentures no thats why ive been asking here i guess,cause i just dont know what to expect and i dont want to make the wrong decission,Snj i feel the same way i am tired of the toothaches and everything else sorry to hear your in the same situation,let me know how everything works out for you.Savanna

Closed Thread