It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2004, 09:23 AM   #1

Hops HB User
Problems w/ Dry Socket

I hope someone can give me some insight and suggestions on my current problem. I had my two lower wisdom teeth removed about 10 days ago. Five days after that, I went back due to increased pain and found out I had dry socket on BOTH SIDES. He said the dry socket was fairly bad. (even though I dont' smoke and I never sucked through straws, etc,etc.).

Anyway........started the routine with the Clove Oil Treatments where they soak the strips in a medicine and pack them down into the sockets. By day 3, I THOUGHT I was getting better but on day 4 (the day I skipped a re-packing) the pain kinda came back. (sore and achey through the jaw and once in awhile.......throbbing on one side). Ended up calling the doc who was "on call" and got some advice to drop 2 drops of clove oil (purchased at drug store) onto each socket; allow it to go down into the socket to help with pain. Also, called in some Vicodin for me. The Vicodin helped take the extra pain/pressure down a bit and stopped the headaches from the jaw hurting so much. But, the clove oil bascially just BURNED LIKE HEC!

Well, to sum up.......I went BACK today and got my 6th packing. THe oral surgeon actually LOOKED AT the sockets today for the first time since I first was told i had the dry sockets. He said the sockets are LARGE but not swollen and not red. Well........so why am I still having trouble eating regular food and having moderate pain????? I was told - on average - most people are only packed for 2-4 BUT that they HAVE packed people for 7-8 days. THe bad thing is that today........he had no suggestions really. "Just deal with it and we'll see how you are on Monday."

Meanwhile, I have no Vicodin left and am taking 4 Motrin every 4 hours round the clock with a couple of Aleve in the morning and a couple at night. Ugh! This is just awful.

Should I be getting a second opinion? Or........wait till Monday?
And.........is it wrong/over-reacting for me to ask for prescription pain medicine?

THanks
Brenda
Illinois

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2004, 12:24 PM   #2

SnJmom HB User
Re: Problems w/ Dry Socket

I really dont know what to say but wanted to offer you support , I have had a dry socket before too , and i was in alot of pain , I think i was on pain meds over 2 weeks , It took forever to close up , If it were me i would call and try to get more meds,Worse they can say is no. I am so sorry you are going through this, I wish you tons of luck .

Old 01-17-2004, 08:48 AM   #3
(female)

db2kp HB User

My 2 cents...

Get a second opinion. Or, go to the emergency room over the weekend. the ER will have an Oral Surgeon on call that will take a look at you.
I have never heard of so many packings!? How awful!
Most people have one packing, get some pain meds and are on their way to recovery, but, for you that's not working.
Were they having YOU pack yourself w/the clove oil strips? Wow, I've never heard of that. They should be treating you.

I'd try a second opinion. You need relief.

Good luck,
db

Old 01-17-2004, 09:22 AM   #4

Hops HB User

Thanks to both of you for replying. To SnJMom, I ended up calling and he called me an anti-inflammatory drug that also helps with pain called Bextra. ?? I think it is primarily used for arthritis. I have to admit that after 2 pills......I AM having some relief finally. SOME relief. And to db2kp, no - they were putting the strips in - not me. I was just doing tiny drops of clove oil in between that to help with pain and of course, it didn't work. I am being patient until Mon afternoon when I go back and if by then.......there is still moderate if not slight pain.....I am going to demand some answers. Otherwise.....I'm off to a 2nd opinion immediately. So far, I have heard from EVERYONE that 10 with dry socket is unheard of. Thanks! And I will keep you posted - I promise. Right now........I'm back to soup and jell-o. Since I have some pain relief now, I don't want to blow it by eating real food. (

Brenda

Old 01-18-2004, 11:30 AM   #5
(female)

joobulee HB User

abcdefghijklmnop qrstuvwxyz

Last edited by joobulee; 10-08-2008 at 05:05 PM.

Closed Thread