It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2004, 08:49 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Laura B HB User
Take care of lower partial?

Six weeks ago I got my lower partial. I'm happy to say I have no problems with it. I do take it out for the night, brush it with toothpaste and soak it with a tablet of Efferdent. The instruction on the box is "remove after 15 minutes" further it says "may be soaked overnight." I called my dentist and ask what the best way is, soak or not soak all night. His answer was "what ever you feel comfortable with it." ????

I would like to know from people with dentures what they do. What the better way is for the dentures. I was wondering that if I leave them in water all night that something may "melt." I was also wondering if you actually use regular toothpase on a denture. This is my first partial, so I'm new at that.
thank you.

Old 01-19-2004, 06:49 PM   #2
(female)

db2kp HB User
Re: Take care of lower partial?

I'm no authority on this but having worked in a dental office for 17yrs, old tell you my experiences.
Every patient with a partial or a denture was told that if it's not in your mouth it should be kept damp.
Also, the dentist that I worked for that taught at Pitt Dental told his patients to take their dentures/partials out at night. He'd say; they're like your shoes, you don't go to bed with them on. Let your gums breathe. The other dentist that I worked for didn't care what his patient's did. That's what makes it difficult, since they each have a different opinion.
My mom and dad left their partials in an efferdent solution all night every night and they never had any problems.

Good luck,
db

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2004, 04:33 PM   #3

Yos HB User

Hi Laura,

Don't use regular toothpaste because it's too abraisive and will scratch the denture which in turn will give bacteria a good home to grow in . You don't want that As for soaking overnight in a cleaning solution or plain water, the partial won't melt or otherwise self destruct. As a matter of fact, when dentures are made they are heat cured so hot foods or even baking them into a pie won't melt them One of the better cleaners for dentures is probably in your bathroom already; hand soap . I soak my denture overnight in cleaning solution and brush them with soap each day. They're as clean and stain free as when I got them 14 months ago.

Yos

Old 01-25-2004, 01:00 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Laura B HB User

Hello db2kp and Yos
Thank you so much for your replies. I'm taking your advise and leave my partial in the water container all night. I was kind of surprised about using soap, Yos, so I'm also using soap now when I brush my partial, it's actual easier than using toothpaste.
I never would think of leaving my partial in all night like some people do. I can't understand, I have no problems with mine but I look forward every evening when they come out and are brushed and soaking in the container. I still have all me front teeth therefore I don't mind when I'm toothless during the night in the back on both sides.
Laure B

Closed Thread