It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2004, 08:06 PM   #1

keena HB User
Unhappy problems after wisdom tooth removed

Last january my left side of my face went numb. So i went to the dentist and he sent me to a oral surgeon to remove my lower left wisdom tooth. Ater it was removed i got a really bad infection and then 3 days later i got a dry socket. It's been a year now and still get deep pains and it feels really tight alot. The pain even travels to the ear and down the neck. After the surgery it took 2 months to get feeling back in my face. I been back to the doctor 3 times and they take xrays and say it looks like its heeling fine. If anyone has any suggestions.

Old 01-19-2004, 11:49 PM   #2

tryingtofeelgood HB User
Re: problems after wisdom tooth removed

Quote:
Originally Posted by keena
Last january my left side of my face went numb. So i went to the dentist and he sent me to a oral surgeon to remove my lower left wisdom tooth. Ater it was removed i got a really bad infection and then 3 days later i got a dry socket. It's been a year now and still get deep pains and it feels really tight alot. The pain even travels to the ear and down the neck. After the surgery it took 2 months to get feeling back in my face. I been back to the doctor 3 times and they take xrays and say it looks like its heeling fine. If anyone has any suggestions.
It sounds to me as if you have a bone infection. Also called Osteomyelitis. Have you had any blood work done to test your red/white blood count, creactive protein level, a 3 phase bone scan, a CAT or MRI with gallolium will all show what the xrays do not. Also, you may get a panoramic xray. Where you ever treated for the infection? A dry socket is a general term for not healing correctly or atypically - they are not sure what it is. Do your teeth hurt? Does your jaw hurt? Have you any abcess? You may need to see another doctor. Please keep us updated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2004, 06:51 AM   #3

keena HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtofeelgood
It sounds to me as if you have a bone infection. Also called Osteomyelitis. Have you had any blood work done to test your red/white blood count, creactive protein level, a 3 phase bone scan, a CAT or MRI with gallolium will all show what the xrays do not. Also, you may get a panoramic xray. Where you ever treated for the infection? A dry socket is a general term for not healing correctly or atypically - they are not sure what it is. Do your teeth hurt? Does your jaw hurt? Have you any abcess? You may need to see another doctor. Please keep us updated!
My blood work came out good. The bun was low and the neutrophils was high. I've also had a urine and the creatinine mg came out high. But my regular doctor said that everything was normal. Since the problem my regular dentist has done 4 root canals. The upper 2 back teeth and the lower bottom teeth. Just because the pain can get so bad. Since those teeth were killed i only get the pain back in that socket. I've had a panoramic xray done 3 times. None of the teeth he killed were abcess. And my jaw hurts all the time. They just say well you did have some nerve damage. Thanks for writing me back with some ideas.

Old 01-20-2004, 02:12 PM   #4

tryingtofeelgood HB User
Arrow Re: problems after wisdom tooth removed

Quote:
Originally Posted by keena
My blood work came out good. The bun was low and the neutrophils was high. I've also had a urine and the creatinine mg came out high. But my regular doctor said that everything was normal. Since the problem my regular dentist has done 4 root canals. The upper 2 back teeth and the lower bottom teeth. Just because the pain can get so bad. Since those teeth were killed i only get the pain back in that socket. I've had a panoramic xray done 3 times. None of the teeth he killed were abcess. And my jaw hurts all the time. They just say well you did have some nerve damage. Thanks for writing me back with some ideas.
Please keep me updated. It really does sound like a bone infection. BUT, I am not a doctor. Just someone who has had one. If you search these boards here for OSTEOMYELITIS, you will see some p osts. Also, check the archives here and do the same search. You may see the symptoms, etc. Normal results are part of this disease process. I recommend no more root canal treatments because that means an infected tooth and that means more bacteria for the jaw. Also do a search on *********** for OSTEOMYELITIS to check your symptoms. Root canals are certainly not the answer here. I see you are in Wisconsin. Perhaps there is a teaching hospital there that works with jawbone osteomyelitis? I will search for you as well, and post what I find if it meets with moderators approval,

Are you in pain now? what are they doing to treat the pain? Have you been on antibiotics?

Can you explain the pain? do the teeth hurt? does the jaw hurt? do you have a fever at all or higher than normal temperature?

Last edited by tryingtofeelgood; 01-20-2004 at 02:15 PM.

Old 01-21-2004, 08:39 AM   #5

keena HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtofeelgood
Please keep me updated. It really does sound like a bone infection. BUT, I am not a doctor. Just someone who has had one. If you search these boards here for OSTEOMYELITIS, you will see some p osts. Also, check the archives here and do the same search. You may see the symptoms, etc. Normal results are part of this disease process. I recommend no more root canal treatments because that means an infected tooth and that means more bacteria for the jaw. Also do a search on *********** for OSTEOMYELITIS to check your symptoms. Root canals are certainly not the answer here. I see you are in Wisconsin. Perhaps there is a teaching hospital there that works with jawbone osteomyelitis? I will search for you as well, and post what I find if it meets with moderators approval,

Are you in pain now? what are they doing to treat the pain? Have you been on antibiotics?

Can you explain the pain? do the teeth hurt? does the jaw hurt? do you have a fever at all or higher than normal temperature?
My teeth don't hurt now that we did the root canals. The pain comes and goes. When i do get the pain its sharp and stabbing in the socket where the wisdom tooth was removed. I have a lot of tightness in the jaw area . Ive also notice my back gums turn white alot. They are doing nothing for the pain because they don't now whats causing this and after a year you just deal with it. I've tried to get a second opinon and the other dentist didn't want to do anything because he didn't do the surgery. My tempature is the same. Months ago i was on antibiotics and it did help. But after a week symptoms came back.

Closed Thread