It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2004, 11:01 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Abbey32 HB User
Question Teeth whitener question

I have used a few different teeth whiteners such as Dr. Georges, Crest whitestrips, Colgate paint on, and the Auro ear drops. When I rinse it off, they are whiter...then a few minutes goes by and they turn right back to the original color!! What's going on?? I have only been doing my top teeth...and never done the bottom...so I know they are just as yellow. HELP!

Old 01-20-2004, 06:12 AM   #2
(female)

db2kp HB User
Re: Teeth whitener question

Abbey32,
Do you, by any chance, have internal stains, such as tetracycline stains?
The reason that I ask; if you have teeth that have always been "yellow", regular whitening will not do the trick.
Have you thought of having the professional, in office, whitening done?
Or, have you had trays made and purchased the solutions from the dentist?
Just wondering....

db

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2004, 10:28 AM   #3

sha79 HB User

If you do have tetracycline stains, they cant be whitened unless you use a whitener continuously for several months. That is what my dentist told me. I had the in-office whitening done and 3 days later my teeth went back to the same color. I'm gonna try the Professional Crest White Strips next and see if that will work. Tetracycline stains are the hardest to whiten. Hope you have better luck than I have.

Last edited by sha79; 01-20-2004 at 10:29 AM.

Old 01-21-2004, 06:52 AM   #4
(female)

db2kp HB User

Abbey,
I've not heard that about tetracycline stained teeth.?
The reason that they don't whiten is because that is internal stain. My husband had to have veneers done since he couldn't have his teeth whitened.
What kind of in office whitening did you have done? Just curious...
Did you let the dentist know that your teeth went back to the same shade? I would. You spent alot of $$ for that!

I consulted in an office and saw a dentist making up her own "bleaching solution" . The solution was sooo diluted, that there was no way it was going to whiten anyones teeth. It was a take home whitening kit. It was such a scam, that I refused to consult there any longer.

db

Old 01-21-2004, 06:59 AM   #5

sha79 HB User

I told the dentist about my teeth turning back to the same color and he offered to do it again free of charge. So he did it and the same thing happened. Cost me $600.00. But there was nothing I could do because he told me before he did it the first time that there was a chance it wouldn't work. So I spoke to another dentist who told me the only way to whiten tetracycline stained teeth is to use professional take home whiteners for a few months. Even then they wont be extremely white.

Old 01-21-2004, 02:54 PM   #6
(female)

db2kp HB User

The in office whitening treatments are stronger than anything that you take home or buy over the counter. They do the treatment with a light, that you may have seen on Extreme Makeover. One of the really good treatments at the offices is called ZOOM. I've seen that treatment work really well on patients.
I don't think that Crest White strips are going to do the trick unless you use them constantly. Watch for sensitivity too.

I'm going to get more info on this....I'll be back!
db

Old 01-21-2004, 03:18 PM   #7

sha79 HB User

Zoom whitening is what I paid $600.00 for and it didn't work. The Professional Crest Whitestrips are stronger than the ones sold in stores. My dentist told me to use them for at least a month straight and maybe by then I would see some improvement. My only alternative is to have veneers put on, and there is no way I can afford those!

Old 01-21-2004, 03:36 PM   #8
(female)

db2kp HB User

sha79,

I went to a forum that I belong to and looked up some info on whitening tetracycline stained teeth and I found a few things. You might want to check with your dentist on these things. ( I thought that maybe ZOOM would've done the trick...wow!)
These are quotes from a dentist that discovered a technique for whitening tet. stained teeth:
The entire technique will be published as a 2-part article in DentalTown Magazine in March and April. It will be the longest article DT has run and the first 2-part article /And yes, I do use the laser/We continue to have 100% success with the technique in my office/the technique does involve very short phosphoric acid etching as well as bonding materials in the technique. /the tray fabrication technique may be the most important step /We only etch for three seconds/we've checked to see if there's any difference when the patients do their 'maintenance' by wearing the bleaching tray for a night a few months after the whitening. And yes, we do see a noticeable color jump /even after 6 months, the color is still GREAT -- but when the patient wears the tray for one night, it bumps them up to where they started six months previously. /

He also stated that the patient was seeing him for 3 wks.

Hang tight, something is in the works for you!
I have no idea of cost though...anything that works will probably be pricey. It will have to be more than Zoom.

See what happens,
db

Old 01-21-2004, 05:32 PM   #9

sha79 HB User

Thanks db, I will definitely look into that!

Closed Thread