It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2004, 07:06 PM   #1

Jim48 HB User
Unhappy Impacted Wisdom Tooth Removal - This Saturday

Hey all,

This is my first post here...

A couple of months ago, I began to have severe toothache, and after going to the dentist, he told me that I had an lower right impacted wisdom tooth that would have to be removed. I was referred to a recommended hospital by the dentist and I'm booked in to have the tooth removed this Saturday (Jan 24th).

I'm just slightly worried about the whole thing. I'll be under general anasthetic, and the surgeon told me that it will take around 90 mins to complete. He said that the main concern is that the tooth that has to be removed is extremely close to, and right on top of a nerve. I've been reading up on the procedure and I did read that if the nerve is damaged it can lead to permanent numbness in the mouth...

He told me that because some of the bone will have to be cut away to get to the tooth, that they will fill it in again afterwards, so that a hole is not left. Any info on this? Does it cause any major discomfort or anything like that?

The surgeon says that the stitches will dissolve over time, which is pretty good I guess.

I was wondering if anyone else has went through the same thing, and if so, how was your procedure? What was it like after the surgery, what should I do afterwards in terms of food wise, the do's and dont's, and how long did it take to recover etc. Any info on the whole thing is greatly appreciated.

Thanks *Very Nervous*

Last edited by Jim48; 01-20-2004 at 07:29 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2004, 10:34 PM   #2
(female)

joobulee HB User
Re: Impacted Wisdom Tooth Removal - This Saturday

hey Jim! first of all, don't worry too much. i bet you'll find that you hyped it up in your head way more than it's gonna actually be. i was really nervous too- it was like a black cloud over my head. i got 2 pulled 10 days ago... top and bottom. first they took my blood pressure, then the surgeon put in the iv and about a minute later i was OUT. it was too fast to even have time to think about it! the next thing i know, the assistant is waking me up (it felt like a blink!) and i was really drowsy but totally fine..my brother told me it took 45 mins... you're still numb. after a few mins of waking up, i went home... drank an Ensure (liquid meal) & ate yogurt after the bleeding stopped a bit, took a painkiller... and just chilled sitting up in bed watching funny movies (which i do suggest, it lightens things up). as the novocaine wore off-still no pain. took another vicodin before bed, and slept with my head elevated on 2 pillows. i basically did the same the next day, except i didn't need any painkillers cuz i was fine. Oh! btw, make sure you ice your cheek consistently the first day (i did 20 minutes on, 10 off the entire day!) to keep swelling down. i did that, and i looked pretty much normal. i don't wanna bored u with all the details, so i won't keep going! anway-main thing is, RELAX the first day of surgery. stay in bed... drink highly nutritious (helps u to heal faster) liquid meals and lots of water once the bleeding stops. the surgeon will give u the details about straws and smoking and spitting... don't hang out with someone who may get on ur nerves , b/c that counts as unnecessary excitement. take ur painkillers BEFORE u feel pain. eat what u can, soft stuff: oatmeal, yogurt, milkshakes (no straw), warm soup, scrambled eggs, soft pasta (i ate a lot of mac 'n cheese)... stay hydrated! i started to ache around the 2nd day after- but advil took care of it. i'm actually still a little achy, but not so bad..more of an annoyance. anyway, i never heard about putting the bone back in. they usually just leave an empty socket. both my bottoms were impacted... and the nerve thing- i wouldn't worry too much. it's very rare i think to lose total feeling.. maybe you'll lose it for a bit-maybe not at all. probably not at all! make sure u have a good surgeon, and have a consultation with him. i've read that your length of recovery and amount of pain is directly related to the expertise of your surgeon. i know this personally- my 1st surgeon was a fairly young guy who had a "complication w/ my 1st 2 teeth.. my 2nd surgeon was older and more experienced, and the surgery was a snap. and if you're only having 1 tooth removed.. holy cow, u should be relieved! that's nothing. u will be fine! i hope this helped... feel free to ask me anything more. God bless! "[God] comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble" 2 Corinthians 1:4

Last edited by joobulee; 01-20-2004 at 10:34 PM.

Old 01-21-2004, 06:00 AM   #3

Jim48 HB User

Hey joobulee,

Thank you for the reply, it has put my mind at rest about a lot of stuff. I do feel a bit better now going into it.

The only other thing I had to ask - afterwards, I'm off University for a week, and after the week is when the new term starts, so I really cannot afford to miss it. Do you think everything will be okay by then for me to go back?

The bone thing...yeah I thought it was strange too, but the surgeon said that rather than leaving a hole, they will fill it in with this stuff (I cant remember the name). I guess it might be better than having a hole, cause knowing me I'll be trying to stick my tongue in the hole and then I'll complain when it hurts lol

Will I be given the pain killers and stuff before I leave the hospital?

Also, about watching movies to take your mind off it - I'm way ahead of ya lol...the other day, I went out and bought 15 new DVD's for next week after the whole thing is done

Again, thanks for the reply! That helped a lot.

Old 01-21-2004, 11:11 AM   #4
(female)

frosty87 HB User

Yep I agree with everything joob said. Sounds just like my son's experience 2 weeks ago yesterday. Yes they will send you home with some pretty strong pain killers and probably and antibiotic. Make sure you have someone with you pretty much 24/7 for the first 2 days you won't want to do much and the meds for pain really won't let you and you do not want to sleep past the time you are due to take a pain pill and have the pain wake you up only to find they take about an hour to be effective! Be careful with the pain meds most that are prescribed are highly addictive if taken inproperly. He had all 4 removed at once. The 2 bottom ones were deeply impacted 1 was close to the nerves it was numb for 2 days but is better now. He was off work for 5 days and off school (semester break) for a week. He had his first pizza last night Yeah!! real food . Take it slow and easy stock up on protin drinks like boost and such they are a life saver those first few sore days. Let us know how you are doing. Good luck and relax.. Enjoy those DVD's

Old 01-21-2004, 05:48 PM   #5

FaerieStars HB User

You really need to relax. It helps with healing! I just had my bottom two wisdom teeth out last Friday. Milk products aren't usually too good if you're on Vicodin (hydrocodone/acetaminahpin). Some people can't take that painkiller. If you've taken something before and it works for you you might want to tell him that. It's pretty strong to get rid of the pain, but it made me sick (I have a sensitive stomach). My boyfriend took it for his and he had no problem. You should rest a lot. The day it was done for some reason I was really hyper and kept talking and bouncing around and such. That night it all kicked in probably worse from all the activity. The first few days I ate broth, tomato soup, jello, pudding, scrambled eggs, soft bread. I'm still in a little pain, but I've been eating the things I normally do, just not chewing the same, and nothing too crunchy. Enjoy eating things like ice cream and pudding! Ibuprofen (advil) is good for the pain after the pain medication runs out. Just relax and enjoy those movies! Keep ice on your face, and if you look like a chipmunk, just laugh about it! If you're a guy don't shave for a while. The pressure will hurt and it hides the swelling and bruising a bit Just RELAX! Oh, and don't worry about the nerve thing. Mine were near the nerve and they told me if I didn't take them out in a year I'd go numb. You might feel a transient numbness for a week or two, but NOTHING PERMANENT!

Old 01-21-2004, 08:31 PM   #6
(female)

joobulee HB User

You'll probably only need a week to recover, depending more on your swollen-ness. i got them out on Sat (1/10) and was at work the following Fri. (1/16), after he took the stitches out...and I went back to school this Tuesday. The 1st time was longer to get back to my normal schedule b/c my face was soo swollen, I looked weird. But yes- they'll either give u the painkillers directly when you leave (either before or after, usually in a little bag with gauze and post-op directions for care), or they'll give you a prescription which u can fill yourself afterwards at a pharmacy (or better yet-the person who's designated to care for you!). They may or may not prescribe Vicodin... I got percocets the first time, neither of which made me nauseous. The way I see it, the more u think you'll be hurting, or the more you think the painkillers will make u sick- the more likely u will be. Either way, make sure u take them with food. So, let me know how it goes!

Old 01-22-2004, 05:39 AM   #7

Jim48 HB User

Thanks for all the replies guys. I feel better about going in there on Saturday now. I'll try and get on here on Sunday and let you know how it goes. I'll probably end up sleeping most of Saturday when I get home.

Thanks again.

Old 01-23-2004, 11:23 AM   #8

frankie82 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim48
Hey joobulee,

The bone thing...yeah I thought it was strange too, but the surgeon said that rather than leaving a hole, they will fill it in with this stuff (I cant remember the name).
Dry socket protective packing? That's what I got; I had mine removed yesterday.

Old 01-23-2004, 01:03 PM   #9

Jim48 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie82
Dry socket protective packing? That's what I got; I had mine removed yesterday.
and how do you feel today? What was it like afterwards?

Old 01-25-2004, 01:12 AM   #10

Jim48 HB User

Well I had it done yesterday. It went fairly well, and I got home late last night. The only thing thats been worrying me was - its still oozing blood slightly. The nurse told me that can happen for a while afterwards, but its now Sunday morning and its still going on....should I call them back, or will it eventually stop?

They gave me painkillers and stuff home with me, but the painkillers have made me sick, so I guess I'll need to call them back anyway...

Old 01-25-2004, 08:42 AM   #11

OboeDiva HB User

Quote:
Hey all,

This is my first post here...

A couple of months ago, I began to have severe toothache, and after going to the dentist, he told me that I had an lower right impacted wisdom tooth that would have to be removed. I was referred to a recommended hospital by the dentist and I'm booked in to have the tooth removed this Saturday (Jan 24th).

I'm just slightly worried about the whole thing. I'll be under general anasthetic, and the surgeon told me that it will take around 90 mins to complete. He said that the main concern is that the tooth that has to be removed is extremely close to, and right on top of a nerve. I've been reading up on the procedure and I did read that if the nerve is damaged it can lead to permanent numbness in the mouth...

He told me that because some of the bone will have to be cut away to get to the tooth, that they will fill it in again afterwards, so that a hole is not left. Any info on this? Does it cause any major discomfort or anything like that?

The surgeon says that the stitches will dissolve over time, which is pretty good I guess.

I was wondering if anyone else has went through the same thing, and if so, how was your procedure? What was it like after the surgery, what should I do afterwards in terms of food wise, the do's and dont's, and how long did it take to recover etc. Any info on the whole thing is greatly appreciated.

Thanks *Very Nervous*
I just thought I'd tell you, I'm going to keep reading all the posts here, because I have to get all 4 of my impacted wisdom teeth removed in April during Easter break. I just had an oral surgery done on Friday (I posted the whole story about it too......salivary stone!) and at the moment, I have several stitches under my tongue and I really don't want to think about dealing with mouth pain again anytime in the near future. I think it's funny that I've gone my entire life (18 years!) without even having to get a cavity filled, and all of a sudden I'm getting my mouth completely rearranged. Oh yeah, I'm getting Invisalign braces after all this is done, LOL! Anyway, good luck with your wisdom teeth!

Old 01-25-2004, 08:55 AM   #12

Jim48 HB User

Quick update - the bleeding has finally stopped, which is good. Also, I think what was making me sick was that I was taking the pain killers with an empty stomach, plus the anasthetic was probably still in me, and I think that made me sick. I took the pain killers again and everything was fine. Just having to keep the ice packs on my face, as its swollen up quite a bit. Apart from that, everything seems okay

Old 01-25-2004, 09:39 AM   #13

frankie82 HB User

Quote:
and how do you feel today? What was it like afterwards?
Oh, I meant I had the packing removed, not my teeth. I had my teeth out a week ago Thursday. One was impacted, the rest were erupted. I luckily didn't bleed much, so I didn't have to do the "change gauze every 20 minutes" thing. I haven't had much pain; just discomfort; just take the pain pills they give as instructed and you'll be fine! I had my teeth out 10 days ago and still haven't gotten the nerve to eat solid foods and am still taking the pain pills to use them up. My jaw is still a tad sore.

Old 01-25-2004, 10:00 AM   #14

Jim48 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie82
Oh, I meant I had the packing removed, not my teeth. I had my teeth out a week ago Thursday. One was impacted, the rest were erupted. I luckily didn't bleed much, so I didn't have to do the "change gauze every 20 minutes" thing. I haven't had much pain; just discomfort; just take the pain pills they give as instructed and you'll be fine! I had my teeth out 10 days ago and still haven't gotten the nerve to eat solid foods and am still taking the pain pills to use them up. My jaw is still a tad sore.
Yeah, I had to do the 'change gauze' thing. I thought the bleeding was never gonna stop lol. I haven't had much to eat since I got home, just one of those protein drinks, and some soup. Hopefully the swelling will go down soon, I'm keeping the ice packs on my face all day.

Old 01-25-2004, 12:02 PM   #15
(female)

joobulee HB User

hey! so i'm glad to hear that it isn't too bad...that's great. my bleeding on the first day slowed down til about 11pm, when i did SOMETHING that opened the wound again & started the bleeding once more (no oozing). thankfully, the next day it was back to ooze (ew), and just to maybe ease your mind a bit, i oozed for like 3 more days. i'm sure they told you, but a tiny bit of blood mixed with saliva looks like a lot of blood, so don't panic if u r still oozing. only if it is really bleeding should you contact your surgeon (well, not ONLY that...if u have other problems then by all means call). also, just a side note: make sure u are eating! or drinking your food, whichever. it is really important to maintain good nutrition during the first few days, because that definately speeds your healing. so good drinks (oj, milk, lotsa water) and good foods. I passed the 2 wk mark yesterday, and i am basically normal now (thank God ). I've been eating regular food for like, 5 days now (just no popcorn and stuff, and i still chew on the other side). keep us posted on your progress, God bless!

Closed Thread