It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2004, 04:15 PM   #1
(female)

bodysong HB User
wisdom tooth coming through

I saw my dentist the other day and although she mentioned something about mine not growing upwards but lying on their sides she acted very optomistic about it saying I probably won't need them out. For the last 2 days it's felt really sore and looks like the gum has broken at the side, next to the other tooth rather than on top. I'm worried it will start growing into the other tooth or remains under the gum. If it's just normal pain from the tooth coming through, how long does it last?
The thought of having them surgically removed fills me with dread. I'm scared of pain and worst of all I have a massive fear of feeling sick (bad enough to cause me a breakdown a few years ago) which might be a side effect of general anasthetic.

Old 01-21-2004, 04:33 PM   #2

FaerieStars HB User
Re: wisdom tooth coming through

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodysong
I saw my dentist the other day and although she mentioned something about mine not growing upwards but lying on their sides she acted very optomistic about it saying I probably won't need them out. For the last 2 days it's felt really sore and looks like the gum has broken at the side, next to the other tooth rather than on top. I'm worried it will start growing into the other tooth or remains under the gum. If it's just normal pain from the tooth coming through, how long does it last?
The thought of having them surgically removed fills me with dread. I'm scared of pain and worst of all I have a massive fear of feeling sick (bad enough to cause me a breakdown a few years ago) which might be a side effect of general anasthetic.

If your dentist says you don't need them out, then don't worry too much about it. You shouldn't worry too much about the tooth pushing into another if your dentist thinks it won't. Wisdom teeth have this habit of moving then stopping then moving again. You might want to find some sort of orajel, or anything they use for teething babies in the meantime. You don't have to be put out for removal! I just had my lower two removed because they were impacted and I was awake. The pain really isn't SO bad. It is painful, but it's not the worst thing I ever felt. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2004, 04:32 PM   #3
(female)

bodysong HB User

thanks
It's felt a lot better today so I've been a bit more optimistic.

Someone told me that probably around 80% of people will need wisdom teeth out during their lifetime. Does that sound likely?

Old 01-22-2004, 07:23 PM   #4

Doppler4000 HB User

Those teeth don't really do many people much good... often it's quite the opposite. Keep up on top of things with your dentist, etc. and follow their progress, but don't let your fear of getting them out, if ever necessary, cause you to wait so long as to have extra complications or damage to your other molars- which are the teeth you really want to keep in the long run. The surgery to remove them really isn't bad enough to be worth all that extra trouble.

Closed Thread