It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2004, 07:08 AM   #1

taralynn_hughes HB User
peridex mouth rinse

I recently had all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed. Two were impacted and the other two just had no room. I thought everything was fine but when i went to see my dentist he said that he could smell bacteria. He couldn't see anything, but perscribed me Peridex anyway, a chlorhexidine mouth rinse. On the side of the bottle it says that I should expect staining of my teeth, some of which could be permanent, or removed by my dentist, and also tarter build up. I am using it, but the product is a light blue color, and I wondering what color it will turn my teeth. I am really paranoid because I drink alot of coffee. I don't need something else to stain my teeth. I have been brushing at least 4 times a day since my surgery.
Also should he prescribe something based on smell? and not visably seeing a reason for it?

Old 01-23-2004, 08:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User
Re: peridex mouth rinse

I just went in and read the side of my bottle, and it says it can cause permanent discoloration on front-tooth fillings. This would be any filling that is white instead of the standard silver, which would be used on any front or side teeth visible when you smile where you wouldn't want to see silver. These white fillings would of course absorb the rinse and darken because of the material used for these.

I was diagnosed with lichen planus last week (mouth irritation) and started using Peridex a couple of days ago. It has definitely diminished the discomfort and has helped in healing so I will continue to use it as long as I need to. I was told it could stain my teeth and that my hygeniest could polish them when I see her to remove it. As far as what color they will stain, I assume discolor simply means darken, not make them blue as you fear. And I don't know this for sure, but I would think the degree of staining would depend on the length of time you use it. I've looked at my teeth every day since I started using it, and I honestly don't see anything different but then, it may be a subtle difference that wouldn't be noticed right away. Smoking stains your teeth, and so does coffee and tea, so I don't think this is going to do much worse. But like I said, I was told my hygeniest can polish them to help remove it, and with the whitening agents that are now available for teeth, I really wouldn't worry about it too much. Your main concern right now is to get rid of the bacteria in your mouth as that can cause you some problems, and because you probably will use the Peridex just this once to help heal your gums, I don't think your teeth will be affected much. Maybe keep doing what you're doing - brushing alot - and then just have your dentist check your teeth once everything is healed and you're no longer using it.

As far as prescribing this when he doesn't yet see anything, I personally would tak his word for it as he sees a whole lot more of this than we do, and I would guess that he knows bacteria when he smells it. Many times that's the very first clue than something is wrong with our teeth or gums is bad breath. There's a whole lot of people out there who have gingivitus and don't have any symptoms other than bad breath. Next comes the bleeding gums, which then tells them that there's a problem. So yes, if he can 'smell' it, take his word for it and don't wait until he can actually see it, or you can feel it, because by then it will be harder to treat and take longer to heal.

(I do want to tell you too, don't brush right after using the Peridex as you'll only be brushing away what you need to kill the bacteria. This is why they say to do it right after breakfast and before bed so it can 'sit' on your gums without the fear of being washed or eaten away. I don't know if your dentist told you how long to wait after using it before eating again - mine didn't say and neither does the bottle - but I usually do it right after I've eaten breakfast and brushed my teeth so it stays in my gums for awhile before I eat again).

Last edited by kellie2; 01-23-2004 at 08:58 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2004, 02:32 AM   #3

rrrich7 HB User
Smile Re: peridex mouth rinse

Hi Taralynn, I too have been prescribed Peridex in the past. I'm not sure, but think they prescribe it for various reasons, one is to prevent bacteria buildup. It's a preventive measure, and I think it's a good idea, if your dentist thinks so.

They have told me that it will cause some staining, but think that it is more important that the bacteria be controlled. Of course it is always your choice to follow the doctor's orders or not, as you see fit. I like to do research on the Internet, and try to find reliable sources, and take in the various viewpoints on a given medicine or therapy, and then make my own choice.

Good luck!

Old 01-25-2004, 07:36 PM   #4

FlowerFairy HB User

Hi Taralynn,
My Periodontist has me using the Peridex because I have gum disease. I apply it around the gum line with a special brush and then dip my floss in it before I floss between my teeth. He told me that it will stain my teeth brown,but they can remove that when I come in.

I'm to rinse my mouth 4 times with water after brushing with toothpaste then apply the peridex and not supposed to eat or drink at least 1&1/2 hrs after applying it.

You may need to be evaluated by a periodontist. Believe me...do it now before your problems get any worse and it will save your teeth and a lot of money as well!

Good Luck!

Old 11-29-2004, 02:52 AM   #5
(female)

tigeress_181 HB User

good old listerine is just as good and kills the bacteria and leaves your mouth smelling fresh too.

Closed Thread