It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2004, 06:58 AM   #1

kimmers37 HB User
Looking for "CHARMS"

Hello:
I was told Charms may be of some help to me. I basically need some coping techniques for being with out teeth for awhile. The emotional part really sucks! Any advice will glady be welcomed. Thanks! Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2004, 02:45 PM   #2

Yos HB User
Re: Looking for "CHARMS"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmers37
Hello:
I was told Charms may be of some help to me. I basically need some coping techniques for being with out teeth for awhile. The emotional part really sucks! Any advice will glady be welcomed. Thanks! Kim

Hi Kim

Charms (Charmaine Resandt) is a woman who took the traditional route in getting her dentures which meant going toothless for a number of months. If you use the search function for the name Charmaine you will find a number of posts where she describes her experiences.

Yos

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2004, 04:33 AM   #3

kimmers37 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yos
Hi Kim

Charms (Charmaine Resandt) is a woman who took the traditional route in getting her dentures which meant going toothless for a number of months. If you use the search function for the name Charmaine you will find a number of posts where she describes her experiences.

Yos
Thank you so much!

Old 02-04-2004, 05:48 AM   #4

Toothless Wonder HB User

Hi Kim

Sorry that I've taken this long to respond to your posting. I've recently been promoted and have subsequently taken on a lot more responsibility that I previously had. So to cut a long story short, my life has not been my own for a while, hence the tardiness.

As Yos advised, I had decided on going the 'traditional route' of waiting for my gums to heal post extractions. Looking back it was rather difficult and quite an adjustment, but no more than some of the other medical experiences I've had to endure. I had cancer of the lungs some years ago and the subsequent chemo led to my teeth weakening considerably until I was left with very little choice but to have them pulled. Not an easy one, but in the greater scheme of things not altogether insurmountable. I was 35 when I had all my teeth extracted and due to financial constraints and the limited resources of my medical aid, elected to wait for my permanents rather than go the routes of immediate dentures. Also, my dentist advised me that I would ultimately have a better fit as most of the initial resorbtion would have taken place. I was told it would take about 4 months for this to happen.

Still, nothing prepared me for the shock of my drastically altered appearance once the teeth were yanked. I cried like a baby. However with the support of my wonderful husband and my circle of friends and colleagues, I was left with very little time to feel sorry for myself and soon learnt to accept my situation. The best part was that I finally could look forward to life without any pain - NO MORE TOOTHACHE!. My husband offered me constant reassurances and told me that I had lost so much more in the past, these were just teeth and certainly didn't alter his regard for me as a woman. He even went as far as saying he thought I looked really beautiful and may face had taken on a softer look. My colleagues went out of their way to protect me and took on quite a bit of my work load, especially the parts that involved dealing with the public. One client in particular did happen to see me in my toothless state and told me how glad he was that I had finally done something about my "bad teeth".

As we were always a very social couple, and with my husband's insistence, our lives continued as normal. Dancing and dining out in the beginning proved a bit of an ordeal as people can be really cruel. The s******s and people staring was so annoying. I soon developed a skin thicker than a Rhino's and just let it roll off.

Time has a way of passing really quickly and I can't believe that its been more than seven months since having had my teeth pulled and some four months of wearing a complete set of dentures. I must admit adjusting to not having teeth proved to be that much more easier than adjusting to dentures. I still find myself wanting to ditch them at the first opportunity. Bit like work weary feet wanting to kick off their shoes at the end of a busy day. My teeth fit real well though. Waiting for the gums to heal proved to be the best decision for me. Would I do it all again if I had the choice. ABSOLUTELY! To be free of pain, to have a new found confidence, to be able to smile without worrying what people thought of my disgusting teeth, to have a husband that loves me that much more for having been brave enough to take the situation in hand, the list is endless.

So take heart and remember this is just a moment of time in your life, and as always it will pass. Do write and let me know more about your particular experience. If I can be of any further help, please let me know. I may not respond immediately, but will as soon as time allows.

Cheers and all the very best
Charms

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmers37
Hello:

Old 03-13-2004, 03:51 AM   #5

kimmers37 HB User
Wink Re: Looking for "CHARMS"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmaine Resandt
Hi Kim

Sorry that I've taken this long to respond to your posting. I've recently been promoted and have subsequently taken on a lot more responsibility that I previously had. So to cut a long story short, my life has not been my own for a while, hence the tardiness.

As Yos advised, I had decided on going the 'traditional route' of waiting for my gums to heal post extractions. Looking back it was rather difficult and quite an adjustment, but no more than some of the other medical experiences I've had to endure. I had cancer of the lungs some years ago and the subsequent chemo led to my teeth weakening considerably until I was left with very little choice but to have them pulled. Not an easy one, but in the greater scheme of things not altogether insurmountable. I was 35 when I had all my teeth extracted and due to financial constraints and the limited resources of my medical aid, elected to wait for my permanents rather than go the routes of immediate dentures. Also, my dentist advised me that I would ultimately have a better fit as most of the initial resorbtion would have taken place. I was told it would take about 4 months for this to happen.

Still, nothing prepared me for the shock of my drastically altered appearance once the teeth were yanked. I cried like a baby. However with the support of my wonderful husband and my circle of friends and colleagues, I was left with very little time to feel sorry for myself and soon learnt to accept my situation. The best part was that I finally could look forward to life without any pain - NO MORE TOOTHACHE!. My husband offered me constant reassurances and told me that I had lost so much more in the past, these were just teeth and certainly didn't alter his regard for me as a woman. He even went as far as saying he thought I looked really beautiful and may face had taken on a softer look. My colleagues went out of their way to protect me and took on quite a bit of my work load, especially the parts that involved dealing with the public. One client in particular did happen to see me in my toothless state and told me how glad he was that I had finally done something about my "bad teeth".

As we were always a very social couple, and with my husband's insistence, our lives continued as normal. Dancing and dining out in the beginning proved a bit of an ordeal as people can be really cruel. The s******s and people staring was so annoying. I soon developed a skin thicker than a Rhino's and just let it roll off.

Time has a way of passing really quickly and I can't believe that its been more than seven months since having had my teeth pulled and some four months of wearing a complete set of dentures. I must admit adjusting to not having teeth proved to be that much more easier than adjusting to dentures. I still find myself wanting to ditch them at the first opportunity. Bit like work weary feet wanting to kick off their shoes at the end of a busy day. My teeth fit real well though. Waiting for the gums to heal proved to be the best decision for me. Would I do it all again if I had the choice. ABSOLUTELY! To be free of pain, to have a new found confidence, to be able to smile without worrying what people thought of my disgusting teeth, to have a husband that loves me that much more for having been brave enough to take the situation in hand, the list is endless.

So take heart and remember this is just a moment of time in your life, and as always it will pass. Do write and let me know more about your particular experience. If I can be of any further help, please let me know. I may not respond immediately, but will as soon as time allows.

Cheers and all the very best
Charms
Hi Charmaine:
Thank you so much for your response.Everything you have said is so very true.It has been a very long 4 months for me...on a brighter note ....I am getting my dentures next week Friday.I cant wait!!!!! It has been pretty rough on me as I am a waitress and have to work in the public. I have lost alot of weight and kinda had a makeover( new hairstyle etc...) I look and feel like a whole new person and am loving the positive attention I am getting. I know the battle is not yet over...getting used to the dentures will be a whole new ballgame.Thank you so much again.Kim

Old 03-14-2004, 11:57 PM   #6

Toothless Wonder HB User

Good for you, Kim! Glad to hear you coping. I'm sure you can't wait to have your gumshoes?!? By the way, how old are you and what was the reason for having had your teeth pulled and having to be fitted for dentures? Sorry, just curious. Do keep us posted on your progress with your new teeth. Betcha it's going to go real well.

All the very best
Charms

Old 03-18-2004, 04:40 AM   #7

kimmers37 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmaine Resandt
Good for you, Kim! Glad to hear you coping. I'm sure you can't wait to have your gumshoes?!? By the way, how old are you and what was the reason for having had your teeth pulled and having to be fitted for dentures? Sorry, just curious. Do keep us posted on your progress with your new teeth. Betcha it's going to go real well.

All the very best
Charms
Hi Charms:
I am very nervous about getting my dentures tomorrow...when I tried them on this week it was so weird!!!!!! I felt like I was wearing wax teeth and it was really hard talking....I sounded so stupid. I guess it will take alot of practice huh? The bottoms also kept popping up...any suggestions? I am 37 years old and had advanced gum disease which I let go due to having no insurance and plain out stupidity.About a year ago my teeth started literally falling out one by one...I was really scared when I lost my front teeth...I cried for a week...and decided the only way to be happy again would be to get dentures...and thats where I am at right now. Kim

Closed Thread