It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2004, 11:08 AM   #1
(female)

Kimberly HB User
7 Fillings, Wisdom Teeth Extraction

Hello everyone,

I am new to the Dental section of Healthboards and hope someone may be kind enough to answer a few questions I have.

I'm 25 years old and a mother of a beautiful 18 month old girl. When I was 5 years old I had an accident where I banged my mouth into monkey-bars at the playground and made my teeth go all crooked. My mother and father took me to a dentist to have this repaired, but I had a very horrible experience. I remember being terrified, and the dentist was very cruel. On one particular visit he yanked on my mouth and told me to "Stop being such a whiney little baby". I told him I wanted my mother and his words were "Your mother isn't ALLOWED in here." My mom was outside the office door and heard me crying so she also heard what he said. Needless to say she marched right in there, took me out of the dentist's seat and proceeded to tell him where to go. After that day, my parents were NEVER able to get me to see a dentist again.

When I hit 15 I started feeling very self conscious about my teeth and really wanted to have them fixed yet I was terrified from my experience as a child. My parents didn't have dental insurance at the time so I knew it would be very expensive so I didn't ask to go.

I'm 25 years old now and still feel that my teeth hold me back. I rarely smile because I'm embarrassed about my appearance and constantly feel that people are judging me. On friday, January 23rd, I decided to go see a dentist again for the first time. He was older but very kind and sensitive. He told me I would need to have 7 fillings done, and that my wisdom teeth would need to come out. I have had friends who had their wisdom teeth out without trouble, but I've also had a friend experience a bad infection which terrified me.

I guess my questions are, do fillings hurt? I told the dentist that I would like to have "white" fillings done since I want my teeth to appear cosmetically nice. I need to go see a surgeon about having the wisdom teeth removed but I'm really scared about that since I know it's harder to get them out when you are older. I think my wisdom teeth are out, but I'm not 100% sure.

I asked about getting braces and the dentist said I would need to see an Orthodontist. I'm wondering if anyone else on the healthboards has been in a situation similar to mine? I was very embarrassed to go in and have my teeth "judged" and the thoughts of going to two other people has me terrified. I calm myself down by saying "At least I'm trying to help myself now" but I know I should have been taking care of my teeth all along.

If anyone has had a situation similar to mine I would love to hear about it. Did you get braces after 25? If so, was it so bad?

I would love to hear from someone.

Thank you for listening.

Kim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2004, 02:48 PM   #2

Doppler4000 HB User
Re: 7 Fillings, Wisdom Teeth Extraction

It's great that you took the first step and went to see the dentist. In your position you basically need two things- a little bit of courage to face those fears and a good dentist that makes you comfortable and can get you through what you need to have done. Sounds like you've got both. And just remember that it's great that you're doing it now before you end up needing root canals, crowns, or worse - which is what will happen if you don't get those cavities fixed. So you're still doing pretty good, and any dentist worth your time will not be judgemental.

I recently got some white / resin fillings and some old silver fillings replaced with resin. Fillings don't normally hurt. You'll have to endure getting your mouth numbed up and some drilling and then the actual placing of the filling material into the tooth (which is easy). Yeah, it's no fun, but if you just relax and your dentist is good you'll do just fine and after getting a couple of them done you won't worry at all about going for the rest. Everyone gets nervous about the wisdom teeth, but since you're going to an oral surgeon you'll be in good hands and you can choose to be asleep for it if you want and you won't have a clue about what's going on until it's all over. That's what I did to get all four of mine out. There's lots of posts on that topic around here.

Last edited by Doppler4000; 01-25-2004 at 02:52 PM.

Old 01-26-2004, 08:31 AM   #3
(female)

frosty87 HB User

The only person who should be embarrassed is your old dentist for being such a terrible example. You should not be embarrassed about not going before this you should be proud that you are going now. Filling don't hurt, they sound like they should, but if you calm yourself down and really pay attention you will find they don't I usually use novocain (sp) as I am kind of a chicken myself but have had them done both neither of which is bad. If you can plug your ears lol.. An oral surgeon will probably put you to sleep for your wisdom teeth so the procedure won't hurt but I won't kid you regardless of if they are impacted or erupted there will be some pain for a few days after but if you want to compare it with something else; childbirth will make wisdom teeth look like a walk in the park and just like the pain of child birth it will be forgotten soon and the gain is so worth it. As for braces sorry never had them so I can't comment personally but... My brother finally got them at 40 and says it was no problem and to see his new confidence is sooooooooo fantastic it was truly a life changing experience for him. Best of luck and talk to us if you need a confidence boost and once again…. Good for you!!! I give you a cyber pat on the back…

Last edited by frosty87; 01-26-2004 at 08:34 AM.

Old 01-26-2004, 09:30 AM   #4

caitlyn's mom HB User

I was in the same position as you kimberly. When i was young i had a horriable experience with a dentist he was very rude and he extracted a tooth without proper freezing that did it for me and dentists i was scared to death of them. I to am a new mom to a 12 month old and just recently decided to go and have my teeth looked after. I found a wonderful kind dentist who made me feel comfortable. I need 7 fillings as well and 1 wisdom tooth removed 2 other extractions. I have had the fillings done so far they were my first fillings ever so i like you was scared there is nothing to it no discomfort at all . You wont feel a thing just the freezing and that did not hurt and i hate needles. If i new it was going to be that easy i would have done this years ago. The best thing i ever did like you was make that first appointment. Just think of how beautiful our smiles are going to be. keep us posted

Old 01-27-2004, 09:34 PM   #5
(female)

Kimberly HB User

Thank you so much for your wonderful responses everyone. I feel so much better. I still feel a little uncomfortable about my teeth but I am remembering what I already told myself, and what you all have re-inforced, at least I am doing something NOW.

Caitlyn's Mom...my daughter Allison is 18 months old. I had a very rough time during delivery, tore very bad requiring stitches so I was thinking "Heck if I survived that, teeth can't be that bad" lol. But I am still nervous. Are you looking to have braces as well? I need to get 6 or 7 fillings as well and I'm going to book my appointment tomorrow morning. Did you find your mouth was really numb afterwards? I work 4-midnight so I'm wondering if I'll need time off work or the shift off?

The dentist said he will be doing the fillings two per visit. I'm hoping it will go fast and well.

I'll keep everyone posted. Thank you once again.

Old 01-28-2004, 06:25 AM   #6
(female)

Kimberly HB User

I made my appointment today to see the dentist this Friday to have my fillings done. The receptionist was SOOO nice. She remembered me from last week and even remembered that it was my birthday. I thought that was so sweet.

Anyhow, she said I could get nitrous oxide before he does the fillings to help calm me down a bit. Did anyone else ever have this done before? I remember taking nitrous oxide during hard labour pains for my daughter which helped A LOT. But I'm wondering do I really need it for fillings? She said there's no extra charge for it so I'm tempted.

Kim

Old 01-28-2004, 07:44 AM   #7

letsconnect HB User

Hi Kim,
The only reason I could see for not using it would be if you fear loss of control in the dental chair, in which case it might be better to go without the nitrous and have your dentist explain to you what he's doing as he's going along. From a pain management aspect, you won't need nitrous for fillings - if at any stage you should experience any pain, be sure to agree a stop signal beforehand and ask for more anaesthetic immediately.
But you're saying that you're tempted - if you liked the nitrous during your labour, AND it's free, why not go for the nitrous? Go with whatever feels right for you, whether or not it's "necessary" is beside the point.
Best of luck on Friday!

Old 01-28-2004, 08:00 AM   #8

caitlyn's mom HB User

Hi Kimberly, i know what you mean if you can survive labour you can do this. I was in labour 36 hours with my daughter and ended up having a c-section. this is a piece of cake i just came from the dentist i had 2 more fillings and a extraction. Nothing to it! my mouth is numb that usually lasts 4 or 5 hours. To answer your question i will not be needing braces. When all the work is completley done i will be getting a partial plate.

Old 01-30-2004, 09:06 AM   #9
(female)

Kimberly HB User

Hi guys

Thank you SOOO much for the encouragement. I didn't ask for the Nitrous Oxide and just went for the freezing. Nothing to it at all! My mouth is still feeling a little numb and it took roughly an hour to do 2 fillings. I feel so great that I booked my next appointment for next Friday. The hardest part was having the mouth kept open like that for so long

Thanks again

Kim

Old 01-30-2004, 03:12 PM   #10

caitlyn's mom HB User
Talking Re: 7 Fillings, Wisdom Teeth Extraction

Hi Kimberly,so glad everything went great.Each time you go it gets less nerve racking.You should be so proud of yourself.I know i am proud of myself for keeping all my appointments and let me tell you nobody is anymore scared of dentists than i am. But i keep thinking of that beautiful white smile lol! it's all worth it.

Old 02-02-2004, 05:54 AM   #11
(female)

frosty87 HB User

WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO WTG overcoming your fears..... But then again we knew you could. Keep going on those pearly whites.

Old 02-02-2004, 06:45 AM   #12
(female)

Kimberly HB User

Thanks so much you guys

I have my next dentist appointment on Friday and can barely wait LOL. What a complete turn around that is huh? It used to hurt a lot to chew on the right hand side of my mouth, with my new fillings, it is soooo much better. My bottom teeth are still sensitive so I'm going to ask if we can do those next! After that, I think we're looking at wisdom teeth removal, which still has me scared.

I asked the dentist if my wisdom teeth had erupted yet and he said they were partially through. He showed me my X-ray and said "See how the roots are curved a bit?" I did some research online that said when the roots are curved, it typically means that they will remove the tooth in pieces, but that it is a quicker healing time? I sure hope so. I'm nervous that my insurance only covers upwards to $1500 a year, so I'm not sure how my hopes to have braces by this year will work. I'm keeping my hopes high though, maybe I'll be able to get a plan where I can pay so much a month until I have them paid off.

I hope everyone is doing well

Old 02-16-2004, 08:09 AM   #13
(female)

frosty87 HB User

Hey Kimberly... just thinking about you .. how are things going??? Your all done with the filllings right??

Closed Thread