It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2004, 05:27 PM   #1

Hops HB User
Thumbs down STILL being treated for dry socket

I posted a message on the 16th about my LONG dry socket problems. I was on my 4th or 5th packing then. On Friday, I had my 9th dry socket "clove oil packing" treatment! The oral surgeon said I broke the record for the most packings at his office. (he's considered one of the best in town).

Anyway........I am finally down to just Bextra twice a day for pain. However, if I eat ANYTHING other than VERY soft foods........it starts throbbing. I attempted a medium-rare, gooey cheeseburger for supper tonight and am paying for it now. Throbbing on left side where socket is. I even rinsed with warm water and rinses with the Perio-Guard mouthwash they gave me. (

I'm soooooo frustrated. But, my family doc and others tell me that a 2nd opinion is not good since this guy is "the best!" ??? They took x-rays and they were negative for any bone fragments, there is no redness or swelling so no infection so the ONLY explaination he had was "You must just be extra-sensative."

*frown* Do you think it might be this "Osteomyelitis" I've read about?

Thanks for the support.
Brenda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2004, 09:35 PM   #2

letsconnect HB User
Re: STILL being treated for dry socket

Unlike dry socket, osteomyelitis causes a deep pain in the jaw, fever, general weakness and lethargy.
Are you experiencing these symptoms?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2004, 12:09 AM   #3

tryingtofeelgood HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops
I posted a message on the 16th about my LONG dry socket problems. I was on my 4th or 5th packing then. On Friday, I had my 9th dry socket "clove oil packing" treatment! The oral surgeon said I broke the record for the most packings at his office. (he's considered one of the best in town).

Anyway........I am finally down to just Bextra twice a day for pain. However, if I eat ANYTHING other than VERY soft foods........it starts throbbing. I attempted a medium-rare, gooey cheeseburger for supper tonight and am paying for it now. Throbbing on left side where socket is. I even rinsed with warm water and rinses with the Perio-Guard mouthwash they gave me. (

I'm soooooo frustrated. But, my family doc and others tell me that a 2nd opinion is not good since this guy is "the best!" ??? They took x-rays and they were negative for any bone fragments, there is no redness or swelling so no infection so the ONLY explaination he had was "You must just be extra-sensative."

*frown* Do you think it might be this "Osteomyelitis" I've read about?

Thanks for the support.
Brenda
Hi Brenda, I think it's time for you to head to another oral surgeon - preferably a maxilofacial surgeon who is a dentist AND a medical doctor. I think you should have some tests done. What tests have you had? Blood work? Get them as soon as you can - this wil show if there is an infection, hopefully - hopefully you do not have one and are a very slow healer. A dry socket is a catch all phrase dentists use when they aren;t sure. Don't eat on this side. let is rest, rinse also with salt and water and keep your mouth as clean as you can. Do you have any foul odor or taste? True Osteomyelitis is rare - well, not as rare as we would like to think , I am one that had it.

I hope I've helped. Please do some testing - how about a panarex xray? How long ago was this procedure? is your surgeon aware of this and what does he say?

In health,
Randi

Old 01-28-2004, 06:25 AM   #4

Hops HB User

To "letsconnect" - thank heaven I do NOT have any of those symptosm you mentiones except the deep/dull socket pain (jaw pain that travels under the jawline to the chin). But nothing else.

To "Randi" - thank you for your insight. When I returned on Monday, the nurse who usually does the clove oil strips for me said "Well.......do you think you are ready to take them out this time?" (meaning........take them out and try it alone without the strips). I looked at her like "I don't know!! I" not the professional." And said "Uh......I don't know; do you think they are actually hindering the healing?" She said that yes, they COULD BE. I hate when nurses/doctors leave a decision up to you. How should I know what is best? Grrrrr! Anyway......I opted to go ahead and TRY it w/out getting packed. I have to admit that I am not doing better but not worse either. The jaw hurts and every 10-15 minutes......I will have more of a sharp/nervey-type pain right where the socket hole is. I am only eating very, very soft things (shakes, jell-o and clear soup with NO noodles). Afterwards, I rinse with warm water and then the Perioguard. I am currently taking Ultram for the pain but it really doesn't seem to be doing much. (I got 15-20 of them from a friend of mind - not the doc).

I think tomorrow, I might try to eat some more "regular food" and then if I ache badly.....will be marching back in for the LAST TIME to my oral surgeon's to demand that he look at me. (not just his nurses).

Thanks everybody! I appreciate SO MUCH you writing and helping me out.

Hop

Closed Thread