It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2004, 07:02 PM   #1

akahoneypotqt HB User
Unhappy painful filling???

I had 3 fillings last week. ONe on the upper right and 2 on the lower left. The upper right is doing fine. The 2 lower left are painful and sensitive to hot/cold. Is this normal. They are only painful when I bite down. Wondering if the cavity wasn't so deep now I need a root canal or something. I know the one was pretty deep, but the one right next to it was only supposed to be a smaller one. They both hurt, and have since I got them. Any suggestions?

Old 01-25-2004, 08:28 PM   #2

letsconnect HB User
Re: painful filling???

All fillings can be sore after treatment especially to cold, this does not mean that anything is wrong.... the nerve at the center of the tooth doesn't like inflammation and swelling which is a normal body response to trauma...... sometimes it just takes a couple of days or weeks to settle down.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2004, 08:30 PM   #3

akahoneypotqt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsconnect
All fillings can be sore after treatment especially to cold, this does not mean that anything is wrong.... the nerve at the center of the tooth doesn't like inflammation and swelling which is a normal body response to trauma...... sometimes it just takes a couple of days or weeks to settle down.
This just isn't hot/cold, this is alot of pain when I bite down.. And a over all feeling of "my teeth hurt!". don't know if that changes your view, but i wanted to make sure you knew exactly how it feels.. thanks

Old 01-25-2004, 08:43 PM   #4

letsconnect HB User

I'm not sure, I'm not a dentist, though I got the info above from a dentist... best thing to do might be to give your dentist a ring and ask... s/he might tell you to give it a little more time and see if it settles down... sorry I can't be of more help

Old 01-27-2004, 03:10 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

junglemonkey HB User

How long has this been going on for? Was it amalgam or white filling?

In my own experience, when the dentist was placing amalgam fillings he had to be a lot rougher in order to pack it in tightly, obviously this would make it a stronger filling. So your mouth SHOULD be in a lot of pain after a filling, (I usually take a painkiller) depending on how long it goes on for. Chances are, you won't need a root canal. But if this pain persists for over .. say 3 days I would go back and get an X-Ray taken to see if you do in fact need a root canal (sensitivity to hot and cold is associated with root canal, but these could be normal symptoms after a filling too)

Old 01-27-2004, 06:10 PM   #6
(female)

db2kp HB User

Since it hurts when you bite down, it could be that your bite is off.
Call your dentist, of course.

When he smooths things down a bit, it may feel alot better.

Good luck,
db

Old 02-03-2004, 04:36 PM   #7

akahoneypotqt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglemonkey
How long has this been going on for? Was it amalgam or white filling?

In my own experience, when the dentist was placing amalgam fillings he had to be a lot rougher in order to pack it in tightly, obviously this would make it a stronger filling. So your mouth SHOULD be in a lot of pain after a filling, (I usually take a painkiller) depending on how long it goes on for. Chances are, you won't need a root canal. But if this pain persists for over .. say 3 days I would go back and get an X-Ray taken to see if you do in fact need a root canal (sensitivity to hot and cold is associated with root canal, but these could be normal symptoms after a filling too)

I appreciate all the replies! It's been 2 weeks and it still is hot/cold sensitive. and i don't really eat on that side if it involves too much chewing. The tooth aches if i chew on that side. it feels inflamed and irritated. Then after a few hours it goes down again. I don't know. Going to call the dentist and go in for a re-check. It wasn't the white filling, but it's a much lighter silvery looking type that I don't know about. My old ones are all darker silver. This is a pale type looking silvery filling. New to me! thanks.....

Old 02-14-2004, 10:24 AM   #8
(female)

Sucha HB User

Hi!
How is your filling? Better I hope. I had a filling done a year ago, first one I've had in a while. I had never had pain before, but after this one I did. it was quite sore for a couple weeks afterwards, and quite sensitive to cold. While the pain is not constant at all anymore, it is still sensitive to cold and sore everyonce in a while. I mentioned it to my dentist at my first 6 mos check up after the filling was put in. He said that one was a tough one and it may just be a little closer to the nerve than usual. however he wasn't really concerned about it. I guess I wasn't either because its not always painful. Although when I get a cold, and my teeth hurt beacuse of my sinuses, that one is always more noticeable.
Anyways, let me know how you are doing. If it continues to be pretty painful though, don't hesitate to call your dentist.

Closed Thread