It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2004, 02:05 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User
Red face Thrush?

Has anybody ever had thrush before? I wrote a post about a week ago, asking if my Advair inhalor (for asthma) could possibly be causing bad breath, and somebody brought to my attention the possibility of Thrush. Now, I had NEVER heard of this in my life, but I did a search on the internet, looked at some pictures (which weren't all too pleasant), and to my surprise, some of the pictures look like my own mouth ! I also chew the insides of my cheeks pretty badly (a horrible habbit I've had for 11 years), so I'm not really sure what *normal* cheeks look like on the inside anymore, but anyways, I was just wondering if anybody has any input on this??? If anybody has ANY information at all, I would be so greatful. I was at the dentist in December, and she didn't say anything about thrush. She didn't even comment on my chewing (which she usually does). Would I go to a doctor to ask about this, or back to a dentist? Also, on the websites, nowhere did it say that a side affect of thrush is bad breath, and that is what my main problem is here--it started about a year and a half ago, when I started using my Advair inhalor (inhaled steroid, which is one of the causes for thrush). Anyways, I'd love to hear from you guys, thanks so much!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2004, 06:14 AM   #2
(female)

frosty87 HB User
Re: Thrush?

My son gets it sometimes from his Advair inhalor his allergest told him it is very common. One of the girls I work with gets it too from Advair inhalor. Some people say if you dry your tongue before you use it it helps. I have not heard of it causing bad breath but I know it hurts and it does look different then the coated tongue I get when my PND gets bad (that can cause bad breath) I would go to the Dr. for a DX not the dentist then if it is thrush they can give you a prescription to clear it up and if it is not maybe you have some post nasel drip and can treat it that way.

hope this helps

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2004, 10:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User

Thrush is very common with Advair, but babies also get this from formula so don't freak. The following might help you figure out if that's what you have:

Symptoms of thrush include:
White curd-like patches on the palate, throat, tongue, or on the lips at the corner of the mouth. These may or may not be painful.
Red, bleeding skin when white patches are scraped off
Low-grade fever
General sick feeling
Loss of appetite
Burning of the mouth or throat
In the mouth, thrush looks like creamy white patches or small red spots on the tongue, cheeks, roof of the mouth, gums or throat. Thrush can make it difficult or painful to swallow. It can cause nausea and make your food taste different.
If the only symptom is a uniformly white tongue, it isn't thrush. The plaques of thrush are often described as curd-like.

Look at the inside of your mouth in a good light. If you have thrush, you should be able to tell - you will see whitish 'spots' in your mouth which can be rubbed off with a q-tip. Check the roof of your mouth as this is where you will most likely see them.

I don't believe thrush causes bad breath, but you do want to make sure you don't have it, so if you're truly not sure, go see your doctor and let him have a quick look. You really don't want to let it go as it can travel down your throat and then you got some problems.

btw - I don't want to scare you, and I even hesitated telling you this when you first mentioned your cheek biting habit, but you mentioned it again in this post so I feel I should pass this on - in my search for something else I was trying to find, I came across an oral cancer site, and they had a list of risk factors for causing this type of cancer, and cheek biting was on it. I wasn't going to tell you but I didn't feel right knowing this and not telling you. You may want to ask your doctor how you can possibly break the habit.

Old 01-30-2004, 02:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

Thanks for the replies, guys. And Kellie, thank you so much for telling about the oral cancer thing. I have no idea about any of the symptoms or signs for that, but I will definitely look into it. I can understand why you hesitated in telling me, but thanks so much for doing so, I really appreciate your genuine honesty.
Well, like I said before--I'm not really sure if the insides of my mouth look like they do, because I bite my cheeks, or because I have thrush. I guess I should just go get it checked out... My problem here is, I've recently lost a lot of trust for my family doctor (whom I've been seeing since I was a baby), so I don't really have a doctor at all right now, that I know is good. I've been to doctors quite a few times (for things completely unrelated), in the past year or so, and I haven't found any that I like yet... So hopefully I'll find one I can trust, and that I like, so that I can get this dilema solved.
I will take a look at the inside of my mouth again, and be careful to closely examine the roof of my mouth, as well as, as far down my throat as I can see (I'll use a flashlight). I do get a curd-like white substance on the insides of my lips, and also on my cheeks, but I bite them so much that I don't know if it's just that the skin is that way from being bitten (sorry to be gross...), or what. I can usually scrape off the white substance on the insides of my lips (this mostly occurs in the morning--which I thought was normal for most people-- but also happens at any given time of the day), just with a kleenex or something, and it does come off easily. I have no pain inside my mouth (although a couple of months ago, I got a REALLY bad sore, and if I even went near it with my tongue, it was very painful) generally, and the only bleeding I get is sometimes after I wake up in the morning, my upper lip has cracked during the night (I'm assuming from it being dry). So yeah.. Like I said before, the bad breath is definitely the thing that's most bothersome to me (since there's no pain or anything in my mouth), because I've lost a lot of self-confidence, over the past year and a half. I hope I can get this problem solved. I'll look it up again on the net and see if I can find out any other info. If anybody has any other input, I'd so much appreciate it--I'm kind of in the dark on this topic. Thanks!

Old 01-30-2004, 05:32 AM   #5

batesS HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellie2
Thrush is very common with Advair, but babies also get this from formula so don't freak. The following might help you figure out if that's what you have:

Symptoms of thrush include:
White curd-like patches on the palate, throat, tongue, or on the lips at the corner of the mouth. These may or may not be painful.
Red, bleeding skin when white patches are scraped off
Low-grade fever
General sick feeling
Loss of appetite
Burning of the mouth or throat
In the mouth, thrush looks like creamy white patches or small red spots on the tongue, cheeks, roof of the mouth, gums or throat. Thrush can make it difficult or painful to swallow. It can cause nausea and make your food taste different.
If the only symptom is a uniformly white tongue, it isn't thrush. The plaques of thrush are often described as curd-like.

Look at the inside of your mouth in a good light. If you have thrush, you should be able to tell - you will see whitish 'spots' in your mouth which can be rubbed off with a q-tip. Check the roof of your mouth as this is where you will most likely see them.

I don't believe thrush causes bad breath, but you do want to make sure you don't have it, so if you're truly not sure, go see your doctor and let him have a quick look. You really don't want to let it go as it can travel down your throat and then you got some problems.

btw - I don't want to scare you, and I even hesitated telling you this when you first mentioned your cheek biting habit, but you mentioned it again in this post so I feel I should pass this on - in my search for something else I was trying to find, I came across an oral cancer site, and they had a list of risk factors for causing this type of cancer, and cheek biting was on it. I wasn't going to tell you but I didn't feel right knowing this and not telling you. You may want to ask your doctor how you can possibly break the habit.
I have a question. I have this white stuff on the back of my tongue where those taste buds are. I have to mention that I have terrible PND and I red PND can cause a white tongue too. Is oral thrush suppose to smell bad? Because if I scrape some of the white stuff off it stinks. Is this oral thrush or rather a white coating due to PND?
I also have some very small colorless dots on my soft palate. You can hardly see them and can't feel them with a finger but I can def. feel them with my thing. Would these be thrush related?

Old 01-30-2004, 09:10 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User

I'm going to say it's not thrush if it's only on your tongue. It sounds to me like post nasal drip, especially if it smells terrible. Your breath probably does at times, too. You may want to try brushing your tongue when you brush your teeth as this helps more than anything.

Closed Thread