It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2004, 07:57 AM   #1
Inactive

The_Cheese_Man HB User
Red face Is it dangerous for a 40 year old to have a wisdom tooth extracted?

Hi

I have a wisdom tooth that will need to be extracted sooner or later and I heard that the older you are, the more risk there is associated with the procedure - especially if the wisdom tooth is impacted. I'm male and 40. I don't smoke, chew or drink so I guess the healing would be quicker(?).

Should I be making out a will here or do most of these extractions go pretty smoothly?. Do they usually give you a general?. A sedative?. No anesthesia at all?. What are the risks?. What kind of swelling/pain should I expect?.

Could someone please explain what all is involved to a frightened newbie here?.

Old 01-27-2004, 09:28 AM   #2
(female)

frosty87 HB User
Re: Is it dangerous for a 40 year old to have a wisdom tooth extracted?

Hi Cheese man I am no expert but can give you my 2cents worth. More then likely the oral surgeon will give you a general anastetic so you get to sleep thru it all. I think the reason they say it is riskier the older you are is because your teeth/roots have had longer to develop and there may be more nerve/bone involvement but that really depends on which direction they are growing if they are impacted etc. I would not worry too much about the generalities flying around my husband had 1 of his pulled at 30 and we flew to hawaii the next day never had any trouble. I had all 4 pulled at 19 and was off work for a week. My son is 19 and had all 4 of his out 3 weeks ago today and was off work for 5 days and it is all but forgotten now. There is usually some swelling the first few days keep an ice pac on 10min on 10 min off for the first 48 hrs and this should not be too bad. They send you home usually with some pretty strong pain meds but only a few days worth. As long as you are careful and don't get a dry socket most people are back to their regular self within a week. Good Luck.. Ask your oral surgeon some specifics about your tooth he may be able to put your mind at rest.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2004, 03:37 AM   #3

dd50 HB User
Re: Is it dangerous for a 40 year old to have a wisdom tooth extracted?

Hi there!

I'm a 51 year old woman, and I have Lupus ... Fibromyalgia ... Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and MORE! Gosh... I'm falling apart! LOL!!

Anyway ... I just had a wisdom tooth extracted yesterday. The tooth had been infected a few weeks ago, and I'd been on antibiotics for 10 days, then it went away and came back .. so when he pulled it, is was infected ... so he gave me a few stitches to prevent more infection and put me on anitbiotics for 5 more days, just to be safe.

I had local anathesia, because I have mitral valve prolapse and high blood pressure, and if it wasn't going to hurt too much .. I'd rather be awake and alert.
My husband did drive me in case they decided on general.

He had to give me another type of shot ... I can't take Novacaine either, because it contains something that makes my heart race. What he gave me did numb me pretty good .. but he was working on another patient meanwhile, and it started to wear off! I told him so ... and he gave me more local ... before he began to pull it. He was funny .... cause he told me he was just going to 'loosen' it a bit .. not pull it yet ... and if it hurt too much, to tell him. Well, I felt sharp pain (the nerve) for about 2 seconds ... and he had it out and a stich in .. before I knew it. Stinker! He used reverse psychology on me. ;-)

He was good ... I give him that!

He did explain that my tooth was 'cone' shaped and the root also ... so it came out easily. It was also loose a bit .. so that helped. It wasn't impacted though, so I'm sure that was also why it came out fast.

I did get a little sick to my stomach afterward ... but the nurse gave me some Gatorade ... and I felt better. When I got home I was fine but tired.

Last night and this morning .. I feel very achey all over and flu-like. I'm very tired, and wasn't able to sleep too well, but I think that I went into a 'flare' from the Lupus, cfs and fibro ... not to do with the extraction .. but then .. I don't know for sure.

I'm being very careful not to loosen the clot ... don't want dry socket! Yesterday I ate applesauce, pudding, milk and mashed potatoes.

Just thought I'd share. :-)

I'm fine ... just really sore all over.

Hugs,
Dee

Closed Thread