It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2004, 08:45 PM   #1

dentalnitemare HB User
Unhappy In need of encouragement! nervous due to last extraction

some of you may remember me from a previous post about the dentist from you know where.I had a very bad extraction where the dentist busted my mouth and bruised my face it took over 4 hours to pull this tooth then I had dry socket.I went back to this dentist so many times with jaw problems after this he told me not to come back.Well now I have more teeth problems I found a wonderful dentist one I feel very comfortable with but I do have to have 2 teeth pulled next Thursday and he assured me the only pain I'd feel is from the shot, that's no problem.He even said if I hurt the least bit he'd stop and we'd do something else I'd never feel a thing.Sounds great don't it?I can't help but to still be scared after what I was put through.Honestly I am terrified.I normally don't worry about going to the dentist but after my last trip I know I'm going to be a basket case.I even thought about taking a nerve pill before going.Can anyone help me as far as if they have been through this and what they done to overcome their fear.It's awlful that I never had a fear of dentist until I let that quack work on me.Even though this new dentist is wonderful I'm still scared to death.Thanks for any information or input.

Old 01-30-2004, 05:04 AM   #2

GimmieABreak HB User
Re: In need of encouragement! nervous due to last extraction

hi. ive just had another extraction today. after having 3 two weeks ago.

to be honest i thought i was a phobic.. i managed to avoid dentists/doctors since i was bout 13...im now 25. but after realising that i hate myself and having no confidence mainly because of my teeth i decided to just say `sod it' and go to dentist.. i had butterflys in stomach for a whole week b4 i was due to go...i had booked the day off work and told no-one what i was doing. I made sure the appointment was first thing in the morning.. just so i didnt have the whole day to worry more. sitting in the chair off waiting room is proberbly worse than the chair of the dentist...you work things up in your mind and the longer you wait the worse you get...im a worrier....and i have soooo much bad luck that postive thinking is almost unheard of with me. anyways. the worst part is dependant on your state of mind or pain threshold. the injections hurt the most...but its only maybe 5-10 seconds of a sharp pain. the actuall pulling of the tooth doesnt hurt...well maybe u feel a bit but nothing to worry about. but u do feel the pulling a lot and think....jesus this is gonna hurt a lot any minute...but it doesnt. i try to have a joke before / during and after wiv the dentist....my way of thinking is...if he likes me....he wont hurt me

you say you have 2 to be extracted....well i had 3 and they were pretty much broken stumps at the back...so hard to get a hold off... and although i had discomfort for a few days... im sooo happy i did it. on one occasion he was prodding around the area and i felt a little something so i let him know and he put another shot in....just let him know coz u dont want the area to not be fully numb.

as for nerve pill...i didnt coz i dont really like takin pills or drugs of any kind...but a friend of mind did take some kinda herbal stress thingy...cant remember what it was called but she said it helped her calm down.

im actully just sat here taking my mind off my own mouth problems hoping for a reply to my post. but typing and browsing pages is taking my mind off things and its workin a treat. PAINKILLERS, REST, AND BROWSE THE INTERNET...--- my cure. gud luk

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2004, 05:21 AM   #3
(female)

frosty87 HB User

My daughter had a bad experience with a dentist when she was young like you we then found a great dentist but again like you she needed one pulled she was soooooo very afraid I went in with her for moral support. Anyway she did ok with the shots teared up alittle (her reaction to fear) he then told her he was just going to wiggle it a little to check it, moments later when he stopped "wiggling" she said "please tell me before you pull it" with that he held up her tooth and apologized as it was already pulled. You should have seen her smile... Trust your instincts your new dentist is not your old dentist ~ he is hopefully out of business. Don't be afraid to say if something hurts and call the office and see if you can take that nerve pill if for nothing more the the prejitters that are inevitable.

Last edited by frosty87; 01-30-2004 at 05:22 AM.

Old 01-30-2004, 10:10 PM   #4

dentalnitemare HB User

Thanks for the replies,as I said before it wouldn't even be an issue to me if I hadn't went through so much with the previous dentist.It was a total nightmare.I told him I'd had rather had a child as to of went through that and it wasn't the first tooth I'd had pulled so I knew what to expect.He says oh you just think you'd rather have a child as this,like I didn't know what I was talking about,I've had a child with 17 1/2 hours of labor and yes I'd rather went through the childbirth!

Closed Thread