It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2004, 05:46 PM   #1

Shereen24 HB User
Im 24 and Getting Braces :)(

Hi, I am new to this board and so happy that I found it. I went to the dentist on Thursday and an ortho on Friday. Well, here's some advice, never wait long to see a dentist. I havent seen a dentist in over 2.5 years and now I have so many issues.

1. I found out, which I new I had, cavities. I do not know how many, but I have some that need filling.

2. I found out that I was starting to have a gum disease

3. I found out that part of my gum disease is under the bridge I have, so I have to remove the bridge, and then replace it with another one.

4. I wanted to get invisilign. Well, thats not an option, I have to get traditional braces. At first, I was skeptical becuase I am 24, and my profession requires me to interview other people on a dialy basis. Now, I am excited just to start working on my teeth.

Well, I start Monday. First with my general dentist, who is also a cosmetic dentist. He will start by doing a gum scalling on my uper and lower one side at a time. After the gum problem is curred, Im sure that he will fill all my cavities.

Fortunatly, my general dentist works closely with my otho with a lot of other patients.

I have heard that they are the best in the city of philadelphia. I am excited and scarred about going through this process. I feel like there is so much that has to be done. It was my fault for not taking beter care of my teeth.

Is anyone going through the same things! I need support through these processes

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2004, 06:08 AM   #2
(female)

missny HB User
Re: Im 24 and Getting Braces :)(

Hi,
I do not have expirence with the cavities or gum problems, but I just got braces in december (I am 18). If you want more support about braces and cleaning your teeth before the braces check out the [removed]. Also check out [removed] Michele

Last edited by moderator2; 02-03-2004 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Not allowed to post other boards. Please carefully read, know and follow the Healthboards.com Policies and Guidelines. Thank you.

Old 02-02-2004, 06:49 AM   #3
(female)

Kimberly HB User

Hi Shereen

I'm 25 and just started seeing a dentist in January 2004. Right now we're working on having fillings done. I still have 4 more to go, then I need to see an oral surgeon about having my wisdom teeth removed. After that I plan on seeing an Orthodontist about having braces put in to fix my crooked teeth. I live in Canada so I'm worried about how much it will cost, but at this point I'm willing to pay a lot to have a beautiful smile. I've spent too long NOT smiling because of my teeth.

Good luck.

Old 02-02-2004, 07:25 AM   #4

Shereen24 HB User

Kimberly,

It is so good to see your are going down the same journey that I am now. I have my first appointment with my general dentist, who is also a cosmetic dentist, thank god! today at 3pm. I will be getting my gums scalled, I believe it is called deep cleaning. I am having one side, upper and lower, done. I then have to get the other side, then I have to get my cavities filled, and then a gingavectomy, then I can get my braces on. Hopefully by March or April.

I am excited, but also scared to get going on this. I waited too long. I am also willing to pay what I have to to get my smile beautiful. I have a really good insurance through my employer, do you? Without insurance, Im sure that everything would be so expensive. Keep me posted on your progress. Do not be affraid to call your dentist and ask them how much it would cost you out of pocket for your fillings. A good dental office will tell you and work with you!

Old 02-02-2004, 05:20 PM   #5
(female)

Kimberly HB User

Hi Shereen

My dental insurance is actually pretty good, but as far as braces go I'm not so sure..

The cost to get two fillings done last Friday was $52 (cosmetic white). I'm scheduled to get 2 more done this Friday, which will probably be another $52 (Canadian).

The insurance booklet we received can be a little cryptic so I'm not sure exactly what it's going to cost me. You're lucky that the person you're seeing can do it all. Right now I'll need to see 3

Current dentist for fillings, cleanings, etc.
Oral Surgeons for the wisdom teeth removal
Orthodontist to have teeth straightened etc.

My insurance coverage is only $1500 a year so I'm worried all this work will use most of it up. I know the white fillings are typically $150 for two so that's already a good chunk of it when you times it by 3. My cousin's wife had braces years ago (about 10) and she told me it cost her $5000 then. I sure hope they have a payment plan available because I really want to get this done. I have a bit saved but it's not that much.

How many fillings do you need to get done? I look forward to keeping in touch.

Old 02-03-2004, 08:36 AM   #6

Shereen24 HB User

Hi Kim,

I am right here with you. I went to see my general/cosmetic dentist yesterday to start my dental treatment. Yesterday my dentist did a scalling and root planning on my left uper and lower quadrants. I also recieved a large filling on my upper left tooth last one in the back. It was not that painful. I paid $86 (US) for everything, but that included the scalling and my annual deductable of $50.00. The filling was a last minute decision, because I was already num. THey didnt charge me for it yesterday, but I think it is $42.

I have another appointment today at 1:30 to get the other, right side upper and lower quads scalled and mabe some fillings.

I found out yesterday that I have 10 cavities. I did one filling yesterday, now I am down to 9. I have a sweet tooth, and it is all my falt!

I also found out that when I am done getting all of my fillings, I have to get a gingavectomy (removal of some gum tissue). Apparently i have 3mm of tooth that is not showing, and for my braces to do what they are suppose to, I have to have the access tissue removed.

After the gigavectomy, I will be able to get my braces on.

I have serveral dentist too:
1. my general/cosmetic dentist
2. my perodontist (for the gengivectomy)
3. my endodontics (for a root canal that I need later down the road)
4. my ortho (for my braces)

I just found out that my insurance doesnt cover cosmetic white fillings on the side and back teeth, how crazy. So i am paying out of pocket too.

I hope to have everything done by March, so that I can get my braces on!

Keep me informed of your progress, we can support each other since we are in similar boats!

Old 02-03-2004, 12:28 PM   #7
Inactive

joseph martin HB User

hi , congrats on getting started with your orthodontic treatment i'm 46 full set of metal braces an yea headgear to , but there realy not bad you get use to them pretty quick, how long will you be in braces , joe martin

Old 02-03-2004, 12:28 PM   #8
(female)

db2kp HB User
Talking Re: Im 24 and Getting Braces :)(

How refreshing to hear that you are ALL taking care of your teeth and that you're excited about it!
That's so wonderful!
It seems that every time I read a post someone was contemplating full mouth extractions!

Shareen, just from your posts, I can tell that you're seeing a good dentist! Very thorough and sensible!

Good luck! I'm excited for you!

Take care,
db

Old 02-03-2004, 02:00 PM   #9

Shereen24 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph martin
hi , congrats on getting started with your orthodontic treatment i'm 46 full set of metal braces an yea headgear to , but there realy not bad you get use to them pretty quick, how long will you be in braces , joe martin

Hi, Wow, I am so happy to see that at your age, braces are still worth getting. Many people become skeptical about getting braces the older they get. My little sister, who is 21, turning 22 in March is getting braces too.

I should have by braces on by end April. I went to see my general dentist today and I still have 6 more fillings, a root canal, and a gingevectomy to have completed.

Hey, stick in there and keep informing us about your status. How long have you had your braces on so far. Also, a head gear. I hope I do not have to wear one of those!

Old 02-03-2004, 02:11 PM   #10

Shereen24 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2kp
How refreshing to hear that you are ALL taking care of your teeth and that you're excited about it!
That's so wonderful!
It seems that every time I read a post someone was contemplating full mouth extractions!

Shareen, just from your posts, I can tell that you're seeing a good dentist! Very thorough and sensible!

Good luck! I'm excited for you!

Take care,
db
Hi, and thank you. It is crazy...but I am so excited. I cannot wait until the next appointment everytime. I guess its just a feeling of getting closer to beautiful and healthly teeth.

I agree with you that my dentist is the best!!! I never had a dentist who is such a perfectionist and very into healthly teeth and gums before cosmetic changes. I have to go through so much befor I can even get my braces on.

My dentist typed up a treatment plan for me to get my teeth the heathliest and straighted.

1. Gum scalling and root planning in all 4 quads (finished that today)
2. Fill all 9 cavities (filled 3 so far, will have other 6 done by 2/20)
3. Root canal by endodontics (planning for 1st week in March)
4. Gingavectomy by peradontics (planning for second week in March)
5. Orth, braces on, (planning for during end of April, or early May)
6. I am getting an implant and crown to replace tooth 4 after ortho is complete
7. I am getting a new bridge to replace the old one

Sounds like a lot of money, well, Good thing for insurance. I am so willing to spend what I need to get what i need, Healthly and beautiful smile/teeth, finally after forever!!!

Old 02-04-2004, 06:01 AM   #11

Melancholy HB User

What is the difference between an Orthodontist and an Oral Surgen?
I have unalinged teeth, who should I see?
ALso my teeth aren't visible when i smile or laugh because they are small and also the upper teeth/gums are too high up so the lips totally cover them.
Who should I go to fix this?
Anyone know of really famous/excellent Dentists/Orthodontists/Oral-Surgens in the Wisconsin,Illinois,Minnesota area

Old 02-04-2004, 06:07 AM   #12

Melancholy HB User

Sheereen24, who is your Dentist? Is he/she in the Mid-West region?

Old 02-04-2004, 06:13 AM   #13
(female)

Kimberly HB User

Hi Shereen

Wow it sounds like you do have a great team put together to get your teeth fixed. Will the gum surgery hurt much? My dentist didn't mention anything about gum disease to me so I'm hoping everything is okay in that department. My teeth are really crooked though so I'm looking forward to seeing an Orthodontist. I just hope I can do a payment plan of some sort to get this done. I'll be so disappointed if I go this far and find out nothing can be done.

My next two fillings are getting done this Friday and I can barely wait. I got two down last Saturday on my top right hand side teeth. I'm hoping he'll do the two teeth directly below those now since they feel really sensitive.

I've noticed a strange thing since I got my fillings done last week though. It appears that I either bit the side of my mouth, or something is kinda sharp around the fililng area because I have a sore on the side of my mouth. I'm going to have the dentist take a look at that to make sure everything is okay.

I will definitely keep you posted on my progress. It helps knowing someone else is going through the same thing as me. Are your teeth really crooked? I smashed my mouth on monkey bars when I was 5 so my top teeth are pretty bad.

Kim

Old 02-04-2004, 06:29 AM   #14

Shereen24 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melancholy
What is the difference between an Orthodontist and an Oral Surgen?
I have unalinged teeth, who should I see?
ALso my teeth aren't visible when i smile or laugh because they are small and also the upper teeth/gums are too high up so the lips totally cover them.
Who should I go to fix this?
Anyone know of really famous/excellent Dentists/Orthodontists/Oral-Surgens in the Wisconsin,Illinois,Minnesota area
These are really great questions. I believe that I can help you.
1. The difference between an orthodontist and an oral surgen is that orthodontist only strighten teeth, this is where you go for braces. Oral surgens do just that, oral surgery. I had to see an oral surgen in college to get a root canal, but they probably do more than just that.

2. To fix yur unaligned teeth, see an ortho.

3. I have a problem that my teeth are too short, and my ortho said that I have 3mm of tooth under the gums that are not exposed. I have to see an perodontist (a gum dentist) to have surgery on my gums, to remove the access gum tissue (called a gingovetomy (spelling wrong)).

4. Cant help you with the dentist referrals in your area, check with your plan.

Old 02-04-2004, 06:32 AM   #15

Shereen24 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melancholy
Sheereen24, who is your Dentist? Is he/she in the Mid-West region?
No, My dentists are in the philadelphia area, eastern side

Closed Thread