It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2004, 10:52 PM   #1

ashwin HB User
Arrow Cavities pain

I am in real need of help. Please do help me out in pertinent to my query. I am pursuing MS in Mechanical engg and I have been diagnosed for having 9 cavities after seeing the x-rays. I am an international student and I do not have a dental insurance.

The student dentist here at my school advised me to get the cavities filled as soon as possible. I have pain normally. And when I eat something very cold or hot my pain aggravates. Sometimes the pain is so much that it makes me difficult to sleep and concentrate on anything I am doing. Also, my gum bleeds while I brush. I understand that it is hard to tell like that but I need to know as to how bad is my cavities and till how many months can I prolong this pain and is it advisable to get it done soon.

Also, I would be very very grateful if you tell me the approximate cost of getting these cavities filled up.

Old 02-01-2004, 11:40 AM   #2

ClearD HB User
Re: Cavities pain

Hello. I have somewhat the same problem as you. I have a partially broken tooth on my lower jaw, towards the back, and it has been giving me nothing but pain for the past 5 or 6 days. It never goes away, I just have to keep taking medicine. I can't get to the dentist because my parents are out of town at the time. It hurts to eat, I actually can't eat anything, and it not hurt. It always hurts. Now there is a swelling below my jaw, right near the tooth that's giving me problems, it's just swollen right there. If you could help me also, I would like to know what the swelling is from. I can't open my mouth that far without it hurting. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2004, 03:00 PM   #3

caitlyn's mom HB User

Hi Ashwin. In answer to your questions. If i were you i would book an appointment have the dentist look at your cavaties. Some might need to be filled right away.If you wait the bigger cavities could get infected. Have the dentist fill the worst ones first then you could wait to have the other ones done. If you are having pain you need to have it looked at. I dont know where you live but where i live 9 fillings would run.between$500-$600i would guess.

Old 02-01-2004, 03:05 PM   #4

caitlyn's mom HB User

Hi clearD It sounds like you have an abcess starting the swelling is from the abcess. You need to go get it looked at . The dentist will probably put you on antibiotics to clear up the infection. The pain is only going to get worse if you leave it. For now try taking 3 ibuprophen every 4 hours i have found this to work very well for pain.

Old 02-01-2004, 05:03 PM   #5

ClearD HB User

Thank you very much. I thought that it might have been an abcessed tooth. As of now, I am taking about 2 500 mg tylenol extra strength tablets every 4 hours. It works pretty well, although I can still feel some pain. I can only eat soup, stuff I don't have to chew. Thanks again.

Closed Thread