It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2004, 10:56 AM   #1

ussentinel HB User
Twilight Sedation?/Wisdom Teeth/Do's and Don'ts

Hello, everyone! I'm getting 2 wisdom teeth out this Thursday (upper left and lower right). I'm a male in my 30s and am a bit nervous because I've never really had any sedation before. I do suffer from panic attacks and take medication for that as well. I was told to wear short sleeves for the IV (and the room will be very cold) and that I would be under "twilight sedation."

I asked the nurse at my consultation what twilight sedation was, was like; but she could only compare it to hospital general anesthesia, which didn't do me any good because I've never experienced that either. Most I've talked have told me that once the IV line was put in, they were asked to count backwards and don't get past 7 or 8 before blacking out. I was told the IV would go in my arm, an oxygen mask would be put over my face, but it would be 10-15 minutes before the drugs took effect. (I kinda was hoping for something more instant, but was told they do that for younger patients.) I was told I wouldn't remember anything about the surgery which should take 20-30 minutes and I'd be there for a hour to hour and a half taking into account prep and recovery time.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me ...
--If you've had twilight sedation, what was it like? How fast did you go out? Did you go out? Remember anything?
--What would you recommend as my "last real meal"? My last meal is supposed to be something easily digestable. I can't eat after the previous midnight.
--Any "do's" or "dont's" that possibly haven't been mentioned on this board recently? I did get a brochure from the oral surgeon, but it's pretty general.

Yes, I have looked up old threads on this board. I do want to commend everyone who's posted on this topic before. Thanks to you all, you've really calmed some previous fears I've had. If anyone is interested, I do plan to post my experience afterward. THANK YOU in advance!

Last edited by ussentinel; 02-02-2004 at 10:58 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2004, 03:43 PM   #2

Doppler4000 HB User
Re: Twilight Sedation?/Wisdom Teeth/Do's and Don'ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussentinel
I was wondering if anyone could tell me ...
--If you've had twilight sedation, what was it like? How fast did you go out? Did you go out? Remember anything?
--What would you recommend as my "last real meal"? My last meal is supposed to be something easily digestable. I can't eat after the previous midnight.
--Any "do's" or "dont's" that possibly haven't been mentioned on this board recently? I did get a brochure from the oral surgeon, but it's pretty general.
I had it. The doc started the IV, hit me with the drugs right away, and the assistant girl I was talking to at the time told me I'd start to get real tired. Instantly I did feel tired and that's the last thing I remembered until I woke up in another room. Once I woke up fully I had normal energy and no significant after-effects other than a numb face. I was back in the hallway heading for the elevator with my driver not more than an hour after I'd arrived (and that was for 4 teeth). I was nearly 31 at the time, just for your reference.

As for the night before, just eat something you're familiar with that you know agrees with you, etc. and don't overdo it the night before. That's it. I also drank a whole bunch of water before I went to bed to try to be as non-dehydrated as possible when I woke up to go.

Do's and don'ts.... just don't sweat it too much- you should be fine.

Old 02-02-2004, 03:48 PM   #3

cuttie15 HB User
Cool Re: Twilight Sedation?/Wisdom Teeth/Do's and Don'ts

hi i had all four out in sept. and i choose to have what you call twilight sedation and i was out before i knew it. i said somthing and don't rember if he ever awanserd me back.i was only scared of the nedles, i infact will pass out when i see them.. i liked that better then when i general this past summer for my ankle. i rember waking up during the surgery it's self but fell asleep with in seconds of opeing my eyes.

as far as do's and don'ts,
-don't eat past midnight(i didn't eat the entire day before i got real sick to my stomic from the general, but i did drink alot of water and juice)
-try and relax the day before and take it easy for a cupple of days after.-
i am a collage student so i had class the day before so it kept my mind off the surgery and then i went to my brothers football game.
-i forget what was on the sheet they gave my mom.
-have fun on the ride home, i live about 20-25 min away from where i got mine done and the ride was weird at the least. i had people looking at me funny so i gave them the bird... i don't remeber doing that but my mom said i did that so i belive her.

just relax.... i belive the more relaxed you are before hand the faster you'll go to sleep.mine was at 7:30 in the moring so i was already sleepy from not sleeping good the night before

Old 02-02-2004, 04:33 PM   #4

diane synder HB User

ok i had 5 teeth out done with iv sedation what happens is they put the iv in your arm and before you know it in seconds you are out you will respond to everything they tell you but you will not know that you are doing it you will not even know whats going on it happens very quick as soon you get the iv its seems like seconds later they are waking you up and its all over

Old 02-02-2004, 04:35 PM   #5

diane synder HB User

you dont really remember nothing all i remember is seeing people around me but i didnt know what was going on

Old 02-02-2004, 04:50 PM   #6

diane synder HB User

let me tell you about my funny experience ok i had my 5 teeth out sept 11 of last year months before i was so scared and everything really bad so the day finally came i went there to the oral surgeon office with my cd player in one hand and pen in the other because i had to sign pappers i cry aND cry FINAlly they called me like in the matter of 5 minutes so i went back there i told them that i was scared the surgeon which i thought was stuck up because he seem to be at the consultation not answer questions was a nice after all he told me not to worried.so this what happen the assistant puts the gas on me and she ask me how did i feel i said i feel relax and she like laughs and say you havent seen nothing yet then she passes this yellow chemical to the surgeon which was about to do my iv ,im in my mind saying oh no they about to put me to sleep i havent been put to sleep in years before i could even finish panicing in my mind i was out. i mean knockout i was next thing they are waking me up like whats going on are you finished i see the assistant walking away and then i see my mom and then i knew it was all over it seem like it just last for about 10 seconds the drug makes you dont even keep up with the time my mom say they actual procedure took 20 minutes i had 3 wisdoms and and 2 molars out it was a blessing for God i barelly even felt pain my jaw and everything was fine it wasnt even really sore.

Old 02-02-2004, 09:03 PM   #7

frankie82 HB User

I had all four of my wisdom teeth out three weeks ago (1 impacted, 3 erupted). The IV sedation was great; the surgeon put the IV in my arm, then the nurse took off my glasses, and that's the last thing I remember before blacking out. I didn't even have time to get a drowsy feeling! It was so fast. I didn't wake up during the surgery at all. When I woke up, my dad was standing over me telling me it was all over. It was like waking up from a short nap. They had to help me to my dad's car, but after about half an hour, I felt completely normal, except for my mouth still being numb. Afterwards, I didn't have any pain, just some minor discomfort a few days later.

Last edited by frankie82; 02-02-2004 at 09:04 PM.

Old 02-03-2004, 01:49 PM   #8

ussentinel HB User

I'd like to THANK Doppler4000, cuttie15, diane snyder and frankie82 for their posts! THANK YOU! All of you have alleviated some fears and have helped me more than you could possibly know. Well, actually ... all of you lived through it, so maybe you do know. LOL.

Two days to go for me. The oral surgeon's office called today to confirm my appointment and my vital statistics and weight; (presumably for anesthesia dosage?), not eat after midnight before, and not to wear my contact lenses .

Yours and anyone's posts are appreciated. I won't chicken out and I hope to post about my experience afterward. THANKS!

Old 02-04-2004, 09:29 PM   #9

diane synder HB User

you will fine just put it in God hands he will help you through he help me and im a very fearful person sometimes when it come to things at the dentist.

Old 02-05-2004, 07:54 AM   #10

ussentinel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane synder
you will fine just put it in God hands he will help you through he help me and im a very fearful person sometimes when it come to things at the dentist.
THANKS, Diane. It's 8:45AM CST right now, and in 3 hours I'll be in the chair having the procedure started. I'll post about my experience after I recover.

Old 02-12-2004, 09:16 AM   #11

ussentinel HB User

Hey, everyone. It's exactly a week later and I lived. LOL. I'm sorry it took sooo long to post back.

I prepped myself before surgery, making sure my mouth was clean as possible. I even triple checked that my nose hair were clipped knowing I'd be laying in a chair and out of it and I didn't want the nurses to notice or comment. LOL. I was a couple of minutes late for the 11:45AM appointment to get three erupted teeth out, but I am the only patient there. I will out a "waiver" like sheet where I gotta initial a lotta statements, knowing future potential risks, dangers of IV anesthesia, and (gasp) even death.

As soon as I turn it in, I'm hurried in the back. I meet the surgeon in the hall and he shakes my hand saying he'll see me soon and everything will be fine. I go into the "cold" room and take a seat. I was told to wear a short sleeved shirt for the IV (on a day snow was expected here). Two nurses started to prep me. I got their names and thanked them in advance.

A blanket is laid over me, the chair is reclined back, and a white oxygen mask is put over my nose from behind. Next came the blood pressure strap over my left arm and heart monitor clips on my left finger (both monitors were over my left shoulder). Then my eyeglasses were removed. I felt kinda relaxed. A nurse said she was giving me oxygen and stressed that fact so much so, that I thought I might've been being slipped some nitrous oxide. That was a bit of paranoia on my part. Things were happening so fast, there was no time to get nervous.

I was told beforehand I was going to have "twilight sedation" and wouldn't remember anything. I asked if the IV was next and was told the oral surgeon would do that. As if on cue, he came in. He was upbeat, relaxed, talkative and VERY calming. He talked about the snow we were supposed to get at noon. I asked for the time and he said it was noon just at that moment. So he ties the rubber cord around my right arm and finds a nice vein in the middle of my right arm. Something was swabbed on it and the IV went in as he said I would feel a *****. He explained the first medicine going in was going to help the cheek swelling down. Then we waited for a few minutes for it to take effect.

Then he said he was going to put something in my IV that was going to help me out getting through this. I felt my right arm get lightly tingly and warm. A sec later he said, "Just close your eyes ... and go to sleep."

I slowly shut my eyes. But I wasn't falling asleep. At least not right away. I waited a bit. My first thought was to say, "Um, I think I am still awake here," but was too tired to do so. Then after that, things got very fuzzy.

I think I was lightly sleeping for the most part, but I do remember pits and pieces of the surgery. A nurse from behind put her hands on either side of my cheeks and turned my head to the right, towards the surgeon. I remember a mouth wedge being moved from the left to the right side of my mouth (but I don't remember it being inserted). I vaguely recall one of my teeth being pulled out. I remember hearing a drilling sound. I moaned and then it got fuzzy again. (I suspect my anesthesia level was being closely monitored.) I remember him saying, "I'm on the last one." Then the next thing I know, I felt a band aid going over the spot where the IV was, but my eyes were still shut. I kinda woke up more after that. A nurse said soemthing and I opened my eyes. The surgeon and one of the nurses had already left. It felt like only 10 minutes had past. I asked the nurse for the time and she told me it was 12:50.

It was at this point when I spoke, I realized I had gauze in my mouth; not sure how that got there. I was told to lightly bite on it. I also felt some dissolvable stitches that I don't remember being sewn either. It was time to leave the chair. I felt okay, but when I tried to stand ... bad move ... huge head rush. I made it to the recovery area mostly under my own power, but very slowly and with some help. In recovery, I sat upright on a cushioned bedlike thing and leaned my back against the wall and just let my senses come back slowly. About 5 minutes later, they brought my smiling mom back there, got some instructions from the nurse, and about 5 minutes later, they both helped me out.

It was a weird experience, but virtually pain-free. It didn't feel like my mouth was bleeding, but it was -- BIG TIME. I think I was just in a light sleep for the most part. I theorize that the oral surgeon did this so my recovery would be somewhat quicker. I was kinda hoping for the "count back from 10, BOOM, you're out" sensation, but it wasn't like that ... kinda gradual and a light boom is more like it. My bill says I received "gen. anesthesia" but I wanted them to knock me totally out if they say that they did. LOL.

Afterward, I just napped and rotated ice packs and bags of frozen peas on my cheeks to keep down the swelling. I took my meds too! Thank goodness!

As each day has passed, I've felt a bit more better than the previous day. My jaw feels slightly bruised like I've been punched, some mild discomfort, but overall, I am fine. Chewing has been out of the question, but the soft foods really haven't bothered me. Most important, my mouth feels less crowded and much better. I am SO glad I had this done and regret I waited until the pain was intolerable. I would really like to thank everyone who previously posted their wisdom teeth experience for prepping and helping me get through it. It wasn't bad at all.

Old 02-12-2004, 09:42 AM   #12

diane synder HB User

so after all did you worry for nothing ?

Old 02-12-2004, 09:19 PM   #13

ussentinel HB User

Quote:
so after all did you worry for nothing ?
Hi, Diane. LOL ... mm... not so much "worry" as maybe concern. Eh, would'ja believe slight worry? I guess it was because I have never had ANY sedation before though, that was a worry.

Old 02-19-2004, 03:40 PM   #14

diane synder HB User

well im so glad everything worked out for ya so how is your mouth

Old 02-20-2004, 01:56 PM   #15

ussentinel HB User

Quote:
well im so glad everything worked out for ya so how is your mouth
Thanks for your concern, Diane. That's sweet! Things got progressively better each following day. I would say all of the week after (last week), it felt as though someone had punched me in my left jaw. I still had some meds and they really helped with the pain and discomfort. I was really craving a pizza and a Baby Ruth candy bar, but couldn't eat them. Usually, I was drinking homemade milk shakes because they felt so good inside my mouth. I felt some pain around the stitched areas.

Last Friday (the 13th), I went back to the oral surgeon so he could see how it was healing. I brought him and the staff some cookies. I told him I remembered some of the surgery, and he said that was common. I also told a nurse that was there during my surgery the same thing and she was shocked! She wanted to know if I heard them talking and what I remembered. She corroborated the few details that I remembered and looked kinda amazed. She apparently thought I was totally under and couldn't recall anyone remembering that many details under sedation. An upper socket is healing fine. He removed a suchure and put something with a weird minty taste in the area and then I had to leave it gauzed for 10-15 minutes. I got a plastic syringe with a curved tip to clean and flush my sockets. I am SO glad I did. You can be so careful with what you eat, but things get in there. On the way out, I talked to a guy who was getting two wisdom teeth out with just a local. I guess he had no one to drive him home. He was kinda nervous like I was, but we had a good talk and I reassured him best I could that it would go fine.

Late last Sunday night (the 15th), the last of the stitches were finally gone. I was SO relieved! One last little bit was like a tiny curve ingrown inside my gum. It drove me nuts the weekend before! Right now, I am still using the syringe after meals on my sockets. The pain is gone!

I can't tell you how much I appreciate you asking and your concern!

Closed Thread