It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2004, 12:42 PM   #1

milady_usa HB User
Unhappy Need advise about Dentures

Over the last year my husband has had all his teeth removed except 5 bottom in the front . He waited for gums to heal before getting his dentures. Well today he got them and they aren't right his bottom teeth set back behind his upper plate I call this a very bad over bite am I right?
Well he never had a over bite before why did this dentist do this ..I haven't told him they look awful but he told me he feels just like a rabbit.I have dentures and they are prefect I had a over bite with my real teeth but whe n dentures was made they fixed my over bite. My feeling is this dentist messed up big time my Husband told the dentist they where not right..What do we do? Can we make him do them right? He didn't seem to care that my husband
was not happy at all. Please tell me what we should do.

Old 02-04-2004, 12:30 PM   #2

SnJmom HB User
Re: Need advise about Dentures

HI , Sorry your husband is not happy with his new dentures, But you should talk to dentist and have them remade. This is something you bought and you should be completely satified. I wish i knew more how to help you but i would starrt with a phone call and ask to see the dentist again. I just had my teethe pulled and i am Thrilled with the results, I dont think i could have wished for a better pair. They look so natural. I am still getting used to them , But my dentist told me if there was ever a problem to let them know. Good luck to yall , Hope he gets the problem fixed soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2004, 04:01 PM   #3

MyChicago HB User
Wink Re: Need advise about Dentures

Hi there. My dad had the same issue going on, except he had to have ALL his teeth removed. It took him forever to get the dentures made to fit, and when he finally got them, he looked awful. Not only did he look like a rabbit all of a sudden, but he said they just didn't feel right. Well, long story short ... UIC hospital in Chicago is now planning on putting dental implant screws in and then a plate so that his dentures will make him look human and be comfy. He's waited years (mostly due to procrastination & annoyance of dentists having constantly trying to get his new teeth to fit right) to get to this point. See if you can locate a dental school that can really take a good look at whats going on with your husband. Don't let dentist after dentist try to make you put bad money on top of good, and don't let your hubby go through years of this! Best of luck to you .... there is a solution out there!

Old 02-27-2004, 10:23 PM   #4
Inactive

Cindy Stoller HB User

I sure commiserate with your hubby! I had my top teeth pulled, and they put in what they call a "treatment deture" right away. The idea was, after all the swelling had resolved in my gums, then my permanent plate would be used. WELL! The treatment denture looked wonderful, just how I'd always wished my teeth would look! The permanent denture looked AWFUL! The teeth were so short, you couldnt tell I had my teeth in unless I smiled widely. Even the dr's receptionist asked me "why didnt your wear your teeth in?" After asking him to fix that, he stated "well you didnt normally show much teeth before". My response was "isnt that why I'm paying $4000, so I can show them!" He pulled the teeth down a little, which also brought them OUT some too, causing the teeth to rub on the inside of my lips severly. After he refused to do any more modifications to make them look like I expected, I gave up, sent the teeth back to him, and refused to pay off my balance. He's never come after the money, but I'm still sitting here wearing my "treatment" denture - SEVEN years later!
I'm tired of having to glue my teeth in everyday. But I cant seem to find a good dentist to make me another set. Probably because I'm gun-shy, but also because I have a very strong phobia regarding dentists. I still have 8 front bottom teeth, and yes, one of them has a cavity. Still, I cant motivate myself to go!I wish I knew how to overcome this, but at my age (46) I may be out of luck.
As for your hubby, hopefully he is more assertive than I was and will keep after this dentist until he makes the teeth how they should be for maximum cosmetic appearance, and functional to boot. Let us know!

Old 02-28-2004, 11:20 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User

Cindy, do you know any other denture wearers? If you do, ask them who they go to especially if you think there dentures are natural looking and they are satisfied with them. Another approach would be to contact local dental labs and ask what dentists they service and who they feels does an outstanding job with both cosmetics, fit and function of the dentures.
You should be able to have considerable input in the construction of your new denture since it is customary for them to set up the teeth in a wax try in plate so you can the position of the teeth and make any changes you feel are needed to achieve the look you want. It is also a good idea to take someone you trust with you for this try in so that they can comment. As the wearer, you might be too emotional to make the correct call on the placement of the teeth. Also, sinc you have been intimidated by the dentists in the past- you may give before you are satisfied- having someone there to help and to comment will give you what you want.

Sandy

Closed Thread