It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2004, 06:36 AM   #1

batesS HB User
Gum disease/cancer

I red on the internet that researchers found a connection between advanced periodontitis and oral cancer. People with serious gum disease were at a double risk for a pre cancerous lesion and at a 4 times higher risk for an oral tumor.
Is advanced periodontitis realy a risk factor for oral cancer? So many people have it and isn't loosing teeth normal with aging?

Last edited by batesS; 02-06-2004 at 06:36 AM.

Old 02-06-2004, 11:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User
Re: Gum disease/cancer

No, losing teeth is not normal with aging; it's normal for people who do not take care of their teeth and get regular checkups.

As for the links to oral cancer, I was just into these sites myself this last month because I was diagnosed with mild lichen planus. Oh my, it's not something I would recommend as I found soooo many references to oral cancer that our two-week vacation had me completely consumed with the thought that I was going to die. In fact, the periodontist I went to see for it while on vacation wouldn't even give me the names of what else it could be because he didn't want me going back on the internet and getting myself all worked up over it. The interent is a goldmine for finding answers to just about everything you want to know, but it can also cause a fair amount of stress. Oral cancer is linked to many mouth and gum disorders, but if you read up on it, it's only a slightly higher risk. The risk comes into play for people with advanced gum disease because of the bacteria and the lack of treatment they receive for it. Anytime you have an infection in your mouth that isn't getting better, the changes that are occuring within that infection can progress to somethig more serious if not treated. It isn't saying that everyone who has gum disease (which is 50% of the population at any given time) is going to get cancer. It's simply saying that because there's an infection with bacteria already present, it's prone to changes if left to advance. The best thing you can do is get your teeth cleaned, even 3 or 4 times a year if need be, and take as good of care of them as you can. Nobody loses their teeth simply because they're old; they lose them because of lack of care.

Last edited by kellie2; 02-06-2004 at 11:32 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2004, 12:04 PM   #3

batesS HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellie2
No, losing teeth is not normal with aging; it's normal for people who do not take care of their teeth and get regular checkups.

As for the links to oral cancer, I was just into these sites myself this last month because I was diagnosed with mild lichen planus. Oh my, it's not something I would recommend as I found soooo many references to oral cancer that our two-week vacation had me completely consumed with the thought that I was going to die. In fact, the periodontist I went to see for it while on vacation wouldn't even give me the names of what else it could be because he didn't want me going back on the internet and getting myself all worked up over it. The interent is a goldmine for finding answers to just about everything you want to know, but it can also cause a fair amount of stress. Oral cancer is linked to many mouth and gum disorders, but if you read up on it, it's only a slightly higher risk. The risk comes into play for people with advanced gum disease because of the bacteria and the lack of treatment they receive for it. Anytime you have an infection in your mouth that isn't getting better, the changes that are occuring within that infection can progress to somethig more serious if not treated. It isn't saying that everyone who has gum disease (which is 50% of the population at any given time) is going to get cancer. It's simply saying that because there's an infection with bacteria already present, it's prone to changes if left to advance. The best thing you can do is get your teeth cleaned, even 3 or 4 times a year if need be, and take as good of care of them as you can. Nobody loses their teeth simply because they're old; they lose them because of lack of care.
Thanks for your answer. it wasn't clear from the research that was done if periodontitis on its own could cause oral cancer because tobacco users have an increased risk for gum disease. Some site said that plaque sticking on the teeth makes that toxics from tobacco stay longer in the mouth.
There is indeed a lot of information on the internet, but I was just wondering since periodontitis is a chronic infection in the mouth and since so many people suffer if it could be a cause for cancer on its own.
Never smoked myself, rarely drink, still have all my teeth but I do have some form of gum disease which I should be treated for but can't at the moment. Just was worrying. thanks.

Old 03-18-2004, 09:40 AM   #4

MELYLOVE HB User

Hi To Everyone , I Went To The Dentist Becuase When I Brush My Teeth I Bliding Alot And I Have Bad Breath, They Told Me That I Have Gum Desease And That Is Something From My Dad Side That They Have That Kind Of Problems. I Suposse To Go To A Gums Surgery And Laser But I Dont Find A Good Dental Insurance That Cover That And I Am Here In Florida.... Is To Expensive For Me.... Can Someone Tell Me What Is A Good Insurance Company That Cover This Kind Of Stuff ... Please Or Tell Me What Will Be A Good Periodoncist That Can Help Me ... Thanks Melylove

Closed Thread