It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2004, 10:18 AM   #1

Tick Tock HB User
Crown question

I need some advice / experiences from the group here. I could write a small book about the dental problems I have had over the past 2-3 years. To make a long story short, I had chronic pain on my upper right area. I had multiple root canals and crowns on #2 and #3. Well, it finally all settled down.

However, I have now broken the crown on #2 (top right molar) twice in the past 3 months. My dentist has been just great and has always replaced them for no charge. These have all been porcelain over metal. The porcelain has been breaking off (big chunks anyway). I have had my bite checked and adjusted to take the pressure off #2, etc. Yet, it still breaks... I broke it again yesterday. For a variety of reasons, this is my 6th crown on that same tooth (3 broke).

I do clench/grind but am very aware of it and "self correct" when I'm awake. I wear a full cover splint at night.

My thought is to have the crown replaced again only with a different material. Any suggestions? I was thinking gold. Are there significant differences in how gold crowns are made? Should I ask fmy dentist or anything specific.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2004, 09:26 AM   #2

antoni HB User
Re: Crown question

I was wondering -- how long is porcelain suppose to last. The prostho that did 4 molars for me in porcelain stated 10 years but another time he said 2 years and he will replace mine for free for 2.5 years.

So I was wondering what the real scoop is on how long they are suppose to last.

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread