It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2004, 06:25 PM   #1
(female)

SouthernTemptress HB User
Supplements to help prepare for amalgam removal??

Hi. I plan on making an appointment to have my amalgams removed starting in a month. I am wondering what supplements will help me prepare of the removal...

Thanks

Old 02-11-2004, 12:57 PM   #2

kelker11 HB User
Re: Supplements to help prepare for amalgam removal??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTemptress
Hi. I plan on making an appointment to have my amalgams removed starting in a month. I am wondering what supplements will help me prepare of the removal...

Thanks

Hi
My dentist is also planning to remove all of my amalgams...but he didn't mention me needing a supplement. Did your dentist tell you that you needed one?

Just curious.
Di

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2004, 04:05 PM   #3

jojocm HB User

You should only replace fillings if it is necessary. Replacing a filling just because it is amalgam is unwarranted,and can lead to bigger problems down the road. I speak from experience. Thousands of dollars worth.

Some facts:

The ADA's Principles of Ethics and Code of Conduct states, "Removal of amalgam restorations from the non-allergic patient for the alleged purpose of removing toxic substances from the body, when such treatment is performed solely at the recommendation or suggestion of the dentist, is improper and unethical."

In August 1996, the Canadian Health Department also released a statement saying, "Current evidence does not indicate that dental amalgam is causing illness in the general population." They issued guidelines to all Canadian dentists instructing them that removal of existing sound amalgam fillings is not justified.

Removing good fillings is not merely a waste of money. In some cases, it results in loss of teeth. In 1985 a $100,000 settlement was awarded to a 55-year-old California woman whose dentist removed her silver fillings. Based on testing with a Dermatron (a phony electrodiagnostic device), the dentist claimed that six of her fillings were a "liability" to her large intestine. In removing the fillings from five teeth, the dentist caused severe nerve damage necessitating root canal therapy for two teeth and extraction of two others.

From Consumer Reports Book- In CU's view, dentists who purport to treat health problems by ripping out fillings are putting their own economic interests ahead of their patients' welfare. The false diagnosis of mercury-amalgam toxicity has such harmful potential and shows such poor judgment on the part of the practitioner that CU believes dentists who engage in this practice should have their license revoked

I have also read stories on another forum from many people that are having a lot of trouble with their teeth after having their fillings replaced with the white. Please think carefully.

Old 02-11-2004, 05:36 PM   #4
(female)

My fillings are damaged and hurt so I need to have them replaced anyways. I never wanted to have grey fillings in my mouth (the dentist put these suckers in my mouth without permission or even discussion about it...never questioned me on what type of fillings i wanted...shouldn't that be improper and unethical as well??.... and i was too young to know the differences... i just figured i'd have a nice white filling... wrong! the dentist gave me whatever was the cheapest for him to get. ) and I do not want mercury in my mouth either. I don't feel the ADA is thinking about the consumers. If they were, then they would not go along with amalgams being placed in peoples mouth if only for the reason alone that if they are removed it could be dangerous to your health. Because many times people have to replace their fillings for one reason or another. I've also heard many stories from people who were fine after they were replaced. It has A LOT to do with precautions the doctor takes when removing the amalgams so your exposure to mercury is less. I already know of a dentist who is familiar with this procedure and the precautions.

What happened to you?

Thanks

Old 02-11-2004, 05:38 PM   #5
(female)

Kelker, there are certain vitamins etc that help your body remove mercury you are exposed to.

Old 02-11-2004, 08:21 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User

SouthernTemptress,

I might have mentioned this before.... Right after I had my dental amalgams replaced with white fillings, I experimented with anti-mercury supplements for about two or three weeks. All of a sudden, I got extremely sick to the point, that I thought I was going to die. At first I felt like I was hungry and sick to the stomach at the same time...wanted to run and to sleep at the same time...then got extremely sleeply...low grade fever...perspired...internal bleeding....

I missed a week of work. How could I explain it? But it happened. These three components were known to remove mercury. Together, even in the small or recommended daily allowances that I took, they apparently were powerful.

Based on that, I would think you might want to stay with wholesome natural foods instead. To help detoxify myself to this day, I eat copious amounts of raw vegetables and fruit. These are relatively low calorie too, so you won't have to worry about overeating and gaining excess weight. I eat cilantro about four to five times a week. With these natural foods, I haven't found any dangerous reactions.

Jojocm,

If you know a lot about this subject you should know what is going on right now (the pro and cons of this issue). Notice that the ADA states "non-allergic" patient. Who is allergic and who is non-allergic? What tests are in place to determine this by the ADA? Is the ADA an expert organization on the toxicity of metals and other dangerous chemicals to make such statements? Why are a lot of dentists still calling mercury fillings, "silver" fillings? There's much more mercury than silver in a typical dental amalgam. Why are the facts hidden?

We should have the right to know whether poisonous mercury is being placed in our bodies by any doctor or dentist. It's not only the toxic load of mercury from fillings, but the total toxic amount of mercury from all sources that can be a problem. It depends on the type of mercury filling that a person has and the quantity. There's just so many other variables also, that it makes this a very difficult subject to give easy answers.

Mentioning isolated cases of mercury filling removal with problems, does not relate to the thousands of happy patients with all white teeth. Some of us just don't want the mercury...these ugly-gray-black fillings. My experience must be completely different than yours. I had a great cosmetic dentist...that has given me ten years of all white teeth with absolutely no problems.

What causes you to write so negatively about removing toxins from our mouth? What proof do we need if we just don't want them (the mercury fillings) or if we experienced personal problems with them? For me, after my tooth broke (and exposed a mercury-silver dental amalgam), I got so much sicker with headaches and muscle pain. After having all of these "black" fillings removed, I now run nearly 20 miles a week. In 1978 a doctor told me to not run more than a hundred yards. It's a miracle that I can now do the things I couldn't do before.

Yes, we should think more about this...think about what we are doing...what we are putting in our teeth...and make sure that we get the best dentists to do the job properly.

Old 02-12-2004, 03:35 AM   #7

jojocm HB User

I "write so negatively about removing toxins from our mouth ", for a number of reasons.

1. I don't believe amalgams are toxic.(or fluoridated water and root canals)

2. I believe anyone reading these boards should hear from both sides.

3. I know, first hand, the damage that can be caused from having fillings replaced for no good reason.

I could write forever on this subject, and I know I will never change your mind, or the minds of people that think like you. I do want people that have never heard of this stuff, to hear about the serious harm unnecessary removal of fillings can do. Dentists that say amalgam is dangerous,.(or fluoridated water and root canals) are trying to make money, are practicing junk science, and are not putting the patient first.

Myth: Removal of amalgam cures some diseases.
Fact: It is unconscionable to lead people to believe that their serious illnesses may improve by undergoing unnecessary dental treatment. In fact, leading medical experts and health organizations have negated such statements and conclusions. For example:

"There is no scientific evidence to connect the development of MS or other neurological diseases with dental fillings containing mercury." (National Multiple Sclerosis Society)

"According to the best available scientific evidence there is no relationship between silver dental fillings and Alzheimer's." (Alzheimer's Association)

"There is no scientific evidence of any measurable clinical toxic effects of dental amalgam." (American Academy of Pediatrics)

Myth: Dental amalgam fillings release mercury vapors that are harmful to the body.
Fact: Minute amounts of mercury vapor (between 1-3 micrograms* per day) may be released from amalgam under the pressure of chewing or grinding, but there is no scientific evidence that such low-level exposure is harmful. In fact, dental materials experts say one would have to have almost 500 amalgam fillings to even see the subtlest symptoms in the most sensitive person.

* 1 microgram is equal to 35.2 billionths of an ounce.

"What makes antiamalgamists tick? James R. Berry, associate publisher of the American Dental Association's newspaper, has characterized them this way:

We know that some few of them are sincere, though confused by the Scientific Method. They read nonsense and accept it. Others have clearer vision and no excuses. They see plainly enough, and what they see is opportunity, which comes in green. When the universal quest for health collides with greed, the collision is loud and dangerous. People get hurt by those they expect, at minimum, to do no harm.

The anti-amalgamists -- with their mercury meters . . . would be comical figures if they weren't so insidious. They prey on easy targets: the desperately ill grasping for hope against a dark alternative .

As I said, I could write forever....

Old 02-12-2004, 12:35 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

I too could also write forever....

But you ignored most of my questions....

Why are people not informed that there is mercury in those fillings? There's a whole other side to this issue.

Fact: They don't know enough about mercury or mercury fillings to make definitive statements that apply to everyone all the time. For example, where is the safe level of mercury for the human body for each and every one of us? Only a very very small amount can make us sick or kill us.

Fact: A lot of us have gotten better after the removal of mercury-silver dental amalgams. Are we "allergic" to mercury by these very small amounts?

Old 02-12-2004, 03:07 PM   #9

jojocm HB User

Myth: Dentists cannot tell their patients that amalgam contains mercury.

Fact: Actually, the ADA encourages dentists to discuss the full range of filling options with their patients so together they can decide what is the most appropriate treatment.

Adverse health effects related to mercury exposure from dental amalgam fillings: toxicological or psychological causes?

BACKGROUND: Possible adverse health effects due to mercury released by amalgam fillings have been discussed in several studies of patients who attribute various symptoms to the effects of amalgam fillings. No systematic relation of specific symptoms to increased mercury levels could be established in any of these studies. Thus, a psychosomatic aetiology of the complaints should be considered and psychological factors contributing to their aetiology should be identified.

[url]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_u ids=11232913&dopt=Abstract[/url]

Last edited by Well-come; 02-12-2004 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Removed website with contact information and discussion forum etc. If in doubt, please contact moderator1 first for pre-approval, as outlined in the board guidelines.

Old 02-12-2004, 06:22 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thank you for the information.

I enjoy discussing this issue, as this had such a personal affect on my health. I'll never forget how sick I was, and how well I feel today, after having those amalgams removed.

I still would like to know why there are so many people that go to the dentist that are not informed that there is mercury in these fillings. Everyone should know every time they see a dentist...just like smokers should know that cigarettes can cause cancer. We should know, so we can make an informed decision whether or not we want this extremely poisonous toxin in our bodies. Let's first stop calling them "silver" fillings and call them mercury fillings (since mercury is the element of highest composition in a typical dental amalgam). That would be a great step in the right direction. Then maybe we'll have some credibility to the idealism that the ADA wants everyone to know that mercury is in these fillings.

Isn't it true that the ADA constantly revises its statements concerning the amalgam issue? How can they say the amalgams are stable when they leak mercury constantly? When are they going to stop revising these statements? It looks like we have a long ways to go, before we understand the effect that mercury has on all individuals. We still have to understand who might be "allergic" to these substances also. They admit that (that there are patients that are allergic to amalgams), but I still haven't heard any detailed explanations about it. It would be interesting to learn more.

Old 02-13-2004, 03:43 PM   #11

clouda HB User

I can add some information to this discussion.

On allergies:

For more than 150 years, billions of amalgam restorations have been placed and a National Institutes of Health report states that only 50 documented cases of allergy to mercury have been reported in scientific literature since 1906. The reaction is manifested as local inflammation of the patient's gum or the lining of his cheek, and it fades after a few days. Whether it is induced by mercury or by some other material in dental amalgam is not known. One hundred million people in the United States have amalgam fillings and 100 million amalgam fillings are placed each year.

No disease or illness has ever been associated with amalgam use in patients, or from occupational use by dentists, except for rare instances of allergies. No dental restorative material can be proven safer than amalgam. Composite resins typically contain about twenty different organic compounds, some of which are highly reactive chemicals.

On calling them "mercury fillings":

Dental Amalgam is the result of a series of chemical reactions between its components. The starting material consists of approximately 35-42% mercury, and an "alloy" of silver, copper, tin, and other minor components. The final product is a completely different material, called amalgam. It consists of a variety of different complex compounds. In one sense it is similar to mixed concrete. You start with cement, sand, stone and water. The final product is concrete. You can't get the original components without chemically decomposing it.

Mercury is a component of the amalgam used for "silver" fillings. The other major ingredients are silver, tin, copper, and zinc. When mixed, these elements bond to form a strong, stable substance. The difference between bound and unbound chemicals can be illustrated by a simple comparison. Elemental hydrogen is an explosive gas. Elemental oxygen is a gas that supports combustion. When combined, however, they form water, which has neither of these effects. Saying that amalgam will poison you is as incorrect as saying that drinking water will make you explode and burst into flames.

On the ADA:

Go to their site. Their only revisions are that, study after study has proven amalgam fillings to be safe.
"Studies show that no filling material has been proven superior to amalgam in safety, durability, and cost effectiveness. Amalgam has been researched worldwide and no study has ever caused a professional dental organization or agency to recommend a ban of amalgam."

"The amount of mercury ingested by someone with amalgam restorations is miniscule – well below established health safety standards. Mercury also enters the body through the ingestion of food (i.e., fish) and water, and through breathing air. Eventually, the body rids itself of mercury, but there is always a very low level of mercury present in the body. "

The following are just some of the organizations that believe amalgam fillings are safe.

Alzheimer's Association
American Academy of Pediatrics
Autism Society of America
National Multiple Sclerosis Society
U.S. Public Health Service
FDA
American Cancer Society
FDI World Dental Federation
World Health Organization

Old 02-13-2004, 06:24 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thanks for sharing with us the number of documented cases of allergic reactions with mercury-silver dental amalgams. But, how many undocumented cases of mercury-silver dental amalgam filling allergic reactions are there? Are these so-called "I-believe-amalgam-fillings-are-safe" organizations tracking such cases? If not, who is?

I believe there is and will continue to be more studies in this area. A lot of us who have been affected by these amalgams will not be satisfied, until we have more answers. I would feel that responsible organizations will continue to try understand this more thoroughly.

It's my understanding that the typical dental amalgam contains approximately 50% mercury and that this mercury leaks constantly, such that it is not a stable substance. Why would anyone try to tell another person that it is stable, when it is not? This has been proven over and over again that the mercury is not secure within the amalgam. And what makes it more troublesome is that this mercury accumulates in the body, and it is very difficult and slow to remove. There are also studies demonstrating the amount of mercury that leaks from these fillings over the years.

Comparing a dental amalgam to water is quite interesting, and could be considered misleading to the general public. Where did you get or how did you develop that analogy? Water is composed of two elements, hydrogen and oxygen. This water molecule is held together with intermolecular forces which are H-Bonds, in conjuction with Van der Waals forces. I studied that many years ago, and still remember to this day why ice as a solid floats in liquid water (most solids sink in it's own liquid form). This water is considered a molecule composed of these hydrogen and oxygen atoms.

It is my understanding that the dental amalgam is a mixture, not a molecular structure. Are you saying that the dental amalgam is composed of various mercury-metal molecules held together with atomic bonding (when you compare it to water)? I think we are mixing "apples with oranges" here.

I plan to review this further. Thanks for the information, so that I can research this more. Please help us understand more about these mercury-silver dental amalgam mixtures, which also cannot be compared to concrete either in the same way. I also understand that these amalgams are not considered alloys.

It would be nice for everyone to have a better grasp of all the materials that are available from our dentists. Would you consider porcelain a more stable substance than the composite resins? Shouldn't people know more about all of the choices that are available? Note also that some of us just do not want ugly gray-black fillings in our teeth. That's why I believe that cosmetic dentistry will continue to expand. Let's move forward with science and technology to provide us with better natural-looking teeth. It will be a happy day when mercury and other ugly dark metals are no longer placed in our white teeth as a common pratice.

Old 02-13-2004, 07:27 PM   #13

almostmom HB User

Hey everybody,
Saw this thread start and wanted to reply. I posted quite a bit this past summer with regard to amalgam, it's effects and especially it's effects on pregnancy. In my situation I feel incredibly blessed. My daughter is 6 months old now. At birth she had good apgar scores and has had positive "well baby" visits. I am in the vaccine room/posting board alot lately. Recently I went to a very....mainstream dentist..(I was searching for a term). After having Alexandra ..10 days or so.. I had a back molar swell up..I went locally (rural Mississippi) and he saw blackened gums around many of my amalgam filled teeth. He concluded I had a mercury allergy and need to change these fillings over. Want to do it...properly..will keep checking in...appreciate all the support of the past.

Old 02-14-2004, 04:44 AM   #14

clouda HB User

Quote:
Note also that some of us just do not want ugly gray-black fillings in our teeth. That's why I believe that cosmetic dentistry will continue to expand. Let's move forward with science and technology to provide us with better natural-looking teeth. It will be a happy day when mercury and other ugly dark metals are no longer placed in our white teeth as a common pratice.
This is your opinion, and has nothing to do with the question of whether amalgams are a safe filling material. If you have ever checked the ADA's website you will see for yourself that they have a fact sheet on dental materials. Having fillings replaced for cosmetic reasons is a different story.

The bottom line is,

Mercury poisoning is very rare and requires considerable exposure, usually at work. People don't get dangerous amounts from tooth fillings (no matter how many they have), chewing, or eating a normal diet. Thus, routine mercury testing of persons who are not industrially exposed should be regarded as a scam. Most perpetrators are either zealots or poorly informed, but some are pure frauds. They typically recommend replacing all amalgams with other materials, usually composite plastics. Replacing fillings with composite entails risks that include death of tooth pulps, loss of teeth, and alteration of the bite. Composite fillings will work well in many parts of the mouth but they are not optimal for tooth surfaces and edges that are subjected to high stress. Also, plastic formulations are not standardized and contain a large number of reactive compounds.

If a health professional advises you that mercury amalgam ("silver") fillings cause disease or should be removed as a "preventive measure," head for the nearest exit and report your experience to the practitioner's state licensing board.

Dentists who attempt to "diagnose" or "treat" "heavy metal toxicity", or who test patients for heavy metals by any means are not practicing dentistry. These activities fall outside the scope of dental licensure. Any dentist who believes a patient requires diagnosis or treatment for any medical condition outside of the scope of dentistry is obliged to make a referral to a physician or other health professional as appropriate. Failure to make such a referral should be considered negligence.

Selection of a material should be based only on its known clinical properties and performance for the particular placement situation, coupled with the needs of a patient. A dentist who excludes any material from possible selection for a given restoration on the sole basis of personal opinion or unsupported conjecture cannot be providing optimal services for all of his/her patients. Such a dentist may be denying a patient the benefits of a material that is most suitable for that patient's needs. Such denial should be considered unprofessional conduct.

No dentist is required to use amalgam. However, dentists who make false claims about amalgam safety create unnecessary patient anxiety, and undermine confidence in the profession. Such behavior should be considered unprofessional conduct.

Old 02-14-2004, 08:10 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thank you clouda. Are those your own words, or are they statements that you copied and pasted from another source? I believe that the ADA protects its own interests, and does not consider for a lot of us, the tremendous amount of data that opposes some of their statements. They can't be considered credible, if they insist on describing mercury-silver dental amalgams as "stable" substances. We must remember the facts and let everyone know. Mercury-silver dental amalgams contain approximately 50% mercury. As a mixture, this mercury constantly leaks and accumulates in the body.

The question is, do we want these metals in our body? Some people believe they are safe, but they are not absolutely sure whether they are safe. They can't prove they are safe. Scientists are discovering new things all the time, and a lot of these organizations are revising their statements concerning mercury-silver dentals amalgams as a result.

I just read yesterday, that 70 million Americans have arthritis (yes 70 million!!!), in one form or another. How many of these cases are caused by low doses of mercury? What level of mercury constitutes poisoning to the degree where it affects the health?

Let's be honest here. There's so much more to learn. We need to question things, for us to grow and advance. At this point, I do not seek judgement, but rather answers. Some of these answers, I believe, will take a very long time to be resolved. I will not rest until we have these answers. For me, it's a very personal issue, for now I'm well, whereas I was extremely sick with those amalgams. I'll never forget.

What makes this a difficult subject, is that pain caused by low doses of mercury, cannot be seen. It cannot be felt by the physician. But the patient experiences this unseen pain. I believe in the future (if it isn't here already), that we will be able to measure this pain, as brain activity. We will be able to measure this pain before the dental amalgams are removed. Then we will be able to monitor and track this pain, after the amalgams are removed over a considerable amount of time. We can measure the amount of mercury that leaves the filling. There's so much more we can do now. In the future, I think we'll see a definite cause and effect that these toxic dental fillings have on so many people. In fact, I read that the US government is considering phasing out mercury fillings by the year 2008. They want to phase out all mercury from a considerate amount of sources, including medications. Remember , it's the total toxic load of mercury that we need to understand. I'll read more, and let you all know....

Last edited by rhody; 02-14-2004 at 08:40 AM.

Closed Thread