It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2004, 05:02 AM   #1
(female)

ellie40 HB User
Apicoectomy- Stitches bothering me!

Hi, I had a apicoectomy done two days ago. My mouth is really sore with some swelling present (which the oral surgeon told me to expect) and prescribed Ibuprofen 800 mg and Vicoden. I had 6 stitches put in and they are really bothering me, it almost feels like they are way too long (dangling down). I was told they are dissolving stitches. My question is do these just fall out on their own or what? I had my appointment scheduled twords the end of the day and was one of the last patients. It seemed like they kind of rushed through the "at home instructions" with me. The sheet they sent home just says to soak around the area with warm salt water. The area itself is very tender and sore. I was wondering if anyone can shed some light as to how long it takes to heal. I have a follow up appointment 1 week from tomorrow. I sure hope after going through all this that this tooth can be saved!!! Thanks Much

Old 02-16-2004, 05:01 PM   #2

indy gal HB User
Re: Apicoectomy- Stitches bothering me!

I had an apico done 7 months ago and mine completely healed, although at the time I had my doubts too. My stitches were not disolvable, I had to go back a week later to have them removed. They were bothersome and painful. If I laughed it felt like it pulled at the stiches.

Just don't go pulling your lip back trying to look at them. Follow the post-op instructions they gave you and call them if you have any questions. Also, do your best to keep the area clean. Warm salt swishes and using a mild antiseptic mouthwash should help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2004, 07:57 AM   #3

turgutalp HB User
Re: Apicoectomy- Stitches bothering me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie40
Hi, I had a apicoectomy done two days ago. My mouth is really sore with some swelling present (which the oral surgeon told me to expect) and prescribed Ibuprofen 800 mg and Vicoden. I had 6 stitches put in and they are really bothering me, it almost feels like they are way too long (dangling down). I was told they are dissolving stitches. My question is do these just fall out on their own or what? I had my appointment scheduled twords the end of the day and was one of the last patients. It seemed like they kind of rushed through the "at home instructions" with me. The sheet they sent home just says to soak around the area with warm salt water. The area itself is very tender and sore. I was wondering if anyone can shed some light as to how long it takes to heal. I have a follow up appointment 1 week from tomorrow. I sure hope after going through all this that this tooth can be saved!!! Thanks Much
hi i had the same done and it was bothering me too the stitches.but i can tell you they will fall out by themselfs when my came of i didnt even noticed it.just be patience do not worry its really ok

The Following User Says Thank You to turgutalp For This Useful Post:
lribs (08-18-2012)
Old 02-19-2004, 03:19 PM   #4
(female)

ellie40 HB User
Talking Re: Apicoectomy- Stitches bothering me!

Hi,
Thanks for replying. My mouth is starting to feel better and the stitches are not as bothersome. I was really bothered by one of them, it was just too long. So I ended up clipping it to shorten it up some. It really helped because it was so long it kept getting stuck in between my teeth and pulling on my gum. Some areas are still a little tender but not too bad. I have my follow-up this coming Monday and I hope the Oral Surgeon says all is well! I have spent so much $ on this tooth and it would be a shame if I would lose it. He did say I have a pretty good chance with the apicoecotmy. Thanks-ellie

Closed Thread