It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2004, 07:16 AM   #1

iminpain2 HB User
Pain after root canal

I had my one and only root canal performed in June 2002. I continued to have sensitivity in that tooth, especially when chewing or pressure was applied there, but the dentist said it would go away. I have since moved out of state and just saw a new dentist a few weeks ago. The xrays he did show that the root can was not done properly. Only the top part of the tooth was filled permanently leaving the lower roots empty. He sent me to an endodontist who drilled through the crown and took out everything in the tooth, cleaned out the canals and put a temp in place. I go back tomorrow to get this procedure finished.

My BIG problem is I am experiencing an incredible amount of pain. My lower jaw is swollen, my ear hurts, if by some accident my teeth close together on that side of my mouth I scream out. The Endodontist put me on darvocet and on a very strong antibiotic. The darvocet barely touches the pain and I have so much difficulty sleeping at night. It has been five days now and I don't understand why the pain is so bad. What could be causing this and what can I do about it?

I called the Endodontist this morning to please see me a day early, but they aren't sure they can fit me in.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Old 02-26-2004, 05:22 PM   #2
Inactive

lammys HB User
Re: Pain after root canal

I had a major infection in a tooth for many years and even after having a root canal performed by an endontist the pain still exists when I bite down. After seeing several dentists I learned pain may still linger after some root canals, which usually means there is still some infection in the tooth. Often times a small black spot will appear on your xray of the root canaled tooth. If this is the case perhaps you may still have a small infection. You may need a followup procedure which involves cutting into the gum to drain the infection once more. The dentists I saw also mentioned that not completing antibiotics after a root canal can also allow the infection to grow. I hope what I have learned about root canals and pain will help you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2004, 07:16 PM   #3
(female)

Kaycee41 HB User

I've had major pain after dental work. I can't help you with your problem, but I can give you some advice about the pain. Ibuprofen works best for dental pain. You can take 600 mg. I've never had any luck with Darvocet or Vicoden (sp?). Try the Ibuprofen, it's the only thing that gives me relief.

Old 02-28-2004, 06:39 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Anibanani HB User

Your pain is because of the infection I bet. Keep taking those antibiotics and that will get rid of it for ya.

Old 03-04-2004, 04:48 PM   #5

PollyS HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminpain2
I had my one and only root canal performed in June 2002. I continued to have sensitivity in that tooth, especially when chewing or pressure was applied there, but the dentist said it would go away. I have since moved out of state and just saw a new dentist a few weeks ago. The xrays he did show that the root can was not done properly. Only the top part of the tooth was filled permanently leaving the lower roots empty. He sent me to an endodontist who drilled through the crown and took out everything in the tooth, cleaned out the canals and put a temp in place. I go back tomorrow to get this procedure finished.

My BIG problem is I am experiencing an incredible amount of pain. My lower jaw is swollen, my ear hurts, if by some accident my teeth close together on that side of my mouth I scream out. The Endodontist put me on darvocet and on a very strong antibiotic. The darvocet barely touches the pain and I have so much difficulty sleeping at night. It has been five days now and I don't understand why the pain is so bad. What could be causing this and what can I do about it?

I called the Endodontist this morning to please see me a day early, but they aren't sure they can fit me in.

Any advice would be appreciated!
I just had the same problem i had a root canal a week ago then had pain. went back to the dentist today and he filed it down a little said it should fill much better within a day or so. hope he's right.

Closed Thread