It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2004, 01:37 AM   #1

sine HB User
Slightly loose teeth

Hi, I've got some slightly loose teeth and receeded gums due to drinking too much pop and smoking too much. I've cut out the pop for the past 4 or 5 months, and have almost quit smoking, so I think I'm on the right track. I'm going to be getting to the dentist as soon as I can afford it, but in the mean time I was wondering if anybody could tell me if, after proper care of this gum disease, will my teeth and gums ever return to normal again?

Thanks,
Justin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2004, 10:47 AM   #2

sine HB User
Re: Slightly loose teeth

I should probably also add that I've clinched my bottom teeth against my top teeth since I was a child and have recently cut it down quite a bit since I realized I was doing it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2004, 11:20 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User

I used to have loose teeth when I had mercury fillings. I would think that if you have stopped smoking, and drinking and eating the various junk foods/drinks, that your gums and teeth could become more normal.

When I had these mercury fillings, I found that a salt water rinse (with baking soda and table salt) really made a difference. My bright red gums (that always bled when I brushed) changed temporarily to a pink color. You might try the salt water too.

I hope you can continue to make healthy choices, so that your teeth and gums look good.

Old 02-17-2004, 11:42 AM   #4

flygirrll HB User

When you go to the dentist, have them measure the amount your gums have receded. They'll take a little measurement thing, and go between each tooth, and call out numbers like 2,3 - 3,4 ect. (this is millimeters, i think). It doesn't hurt a bit, its just measuring. I was told that any 7's or above was too far receded, and would not come back. I had one 5,6, the rest were 2,3's and 3,4's. I was then told (after my cleaning) that if I began to floss every day and use listerine rinse they would come back. I did, and sure enough I have much healthier gums. Pink and healthy and growing back up around my teeth where they should be.

Get the measurements done, and a cleaning, and brush, floss and do a 30 second listerine rinse every day (the natural citrus tastes the best, and doesn't burn as much) and your gums should improve.

Congrats on quitting smoking! Thats a tough one, and thats the habit that is worst on your gums.
Good luck, and let us know what happens

Old 02-22-2004, 03:52 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

I second Flygirrll's advice about flossing.
My dentist has a sign on his wall that says:

You don't have to floss every tooth.
Just the ones you want to keep!

zuzu xx

Old 02-23-2004, 05:49 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

LL29 HB User

LOL Zuzu - that's too funny. LOL

Sine I quit smoking 94 days ago cold turkey and my gums are already healthier. Go to the smoking cessation board here and we'll help you quit. That's the board I'm at most anyway.

Good luck

Laurie

Closed Thread