It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2004, 07:11 PM   #1

alessia HB User
Question receding gums

Hi, this is my first time posting. I was wondering if anyone reading has had their receding gums treated with allograft. My dentist strongly urged me to have this done. I am very concerned about cost and recovery.
How much did it cost per tooth for you? How long did you have a dressing in your mouth? Was it painful? As you can tell, I'm a bit apprehensive about this!

Old 02-18-2004, 11:06 AM   #2

alessia HB User
Re: receding gums

nobody?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2004, 06:50 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LL29 HB User

I had it done to my top gums since they were receeding. I'm tryin to remember...............hmmmmm...... they take tissue off the roof of your mouth (that was the part I didn't like or was weird) but it wasn't very painful - just groce. The stitches weren't that bad. I did help the one side of my mouth but not the other so I go bk (this was a year ago mind you - I should've went bk sooner) in two weeks to get it smoothed out and see if he can fix it. It does help and if you need it done - I would do it again.

If you have insurance - that can cover the vast part of it. I'd have to pull out my records but I want to say the total cost (over 4 teeth - 2 areas I think) $1600 and I'm in Charlotte, NC (south is cheaper). It all depends if it's right by each other too or in different areas.

Always shop around though - call periodontists and see what their rates are.

Good luck

Laurie

Old 02-25-2004, 08:16 AM   #4

CherFan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alessia
nobody?
I had skin grafting done to 3 of my gums and it does hurt after the numbness wears off. When I had it done, my mother got a good deal on it for $700 per gum. Pretty expensive. I only have one more to go and I just don't want to do it. How many do you have to have done?

Married~~June 14, 2002
TTC

Best of luck to all,
C

Old 02-26-2004, 02:49 PM   #5

alessia HB User

Ugh! I'm just dreading this! I should have 8 teeth done, but he said i could get away with just 4. He said it would cost 1200 a tooth. Doesn't that seem crazy???? I think I should shop around.
I did some research on the web, and just started taking vit c and coenzyme q. i also bought a mouthrinse that is supposed to help. Between those three things and brushing my gums gently, i'm hoping to grow the gums back. apparantly it's possible. i'll keep ya updated.

Old 02-27-2004, 07:57 AM   #6

CherFan HB User

[QUOTE=alessia]Ugh! I'm just dreading this! I should have 8 teeth done, but he said i could get away with just 4. He said it would cost 1200 a tooth. Doesn't that seem crazy???? I think I should shop around.
I did some research on the web, and just started taking vit c and coenzyme q. i also bought a mouthrinse that is supposed to help. Between those three things and brushing my gums gently, i'm hoping to grow the gums back. apparantly it's possible. i'll keep ya updated.[/QUO

Hello there alessia!!

How are you?! I to dread getting my last gum done. I hate "surgery" not matter what kind of surgery it is. It does seem crazy for that price, but that's pretty much what it is, even more $ sometimes. And I am not sure if your gums can grow back. That's why you have to have grafting done to keep your gums and mouth healthy. For brushing your teeth, yeah, do it gently, brush flowing upwards,not across. Good luck and keep us posted!!!

GL

Married~~June 14, 2002
TTC

Best of luck to all,
C

Old 03-09-2004, 09:44 AM   #7

Halo31 HB User

Quote:
Hi, this is my first time posting. I was wondering if anyone reading has had their receding gums treated with allograft. My dentist strongly urged me to have this done. I am very concerned about cost and recovery.
How much did it cost per tooth for you? How long did you have a dressing in your mouth? Was it painful? As you can tell, I'm a bit apprehensive about this!
Hi,

I would suggest you shop around and call many periodontists to compare quotes for the tissue/bone grafts. There is a procedure called a lateral graft that is far less painful than the graft where they remove tissue from the roof of your mouth. It is also a little less expensive. Do you have periodontal disease or did incorrect brushing cause the gum recession? You should have a second opinion. There are many dentists out there who may tend to be on the conservative side, and suggest fewer grafts than the dentist who told you that 8 teeth needed grafting. Hope this helps! By the way, there is no possible way to grow gum tissue back. I have read all the current studies regarding periodontal disease and gum recession. They are still working on it, but have not been able to grow the tissue back as of today!

Halo

Old 03-11-2004, 11:17 AM   #8

austin4 HB User

Quote:
Ugh! I'm just dreading this! I should have 8 teeth done, but he said i could get away with just 4. He said it would cost 1200 a tooth. Doesn't that seem crazy???? I think I should shop around.
I did some research on the web, and just started taking vit c and coenzyme q. i also bought a mouthrinse that is supposed to help. Between those three things and brushing my gums gently, i'm hoping to grow the gums back. apparantly it's possible. i'll keep ya updated.
I've tried the Co q-10 and vit c and that helped, but really started working once I started using Colloidal Silver as a mouthwash. I've read way too much stuff about being able to cure gum problems w/o surgery to not try an alternative route. Not saying surgery isn't the way, but they have a definate investment in wanting you to do surgery

Old 03-12-2004, 09:29 PM   #9

alessia HB User

thanks for everyone's input!!
What brand is the colloidal silver? Is it marketed as a mouthwash or as something else?
I definitely will have to call around to different periodontists. I don't really trust the dentist i went to. btw, my recession is from improper brushing-i'm so mad that I could have prevented this!!!

Old 03-13-2004, 03:25 PM   #10

alessia HB User

I've been using the ultimate gum solution for the last few weeks, and I just noticed that the 2nd ingredient is colloidal silver. So, I guess I'm covered. And I definitely have noticed an improvement since I started my new regimen...

Old 03-20-2004, 02:33 PM   #11

marymc HB User

Quote:
I just had grafting done about 10 years ago and hated it. I just had it done yesterday ( I need to do it 4 more times for 4 teeth) and the surgeon I went to is wonderful. He does one at a time and had it finished in 45 minutes. When I had it 10 years ago they prescribe Vicodin for pain which puts you in la, la land and this time it was just 800mg Motrin and I only had to take it twice yesterday. I'm not looking forward to getting the other 4 done, trust me. Also, mine is costing $650 per tooth which I thought was high until I read some of the prices on this board! My dental doesn't cover it which it didn't cover it last time either...the bright side is losing a few pounds each time!

Old 03-20-2004, 07:33 PM   #12
(male)

surreal HB User

Receding gums???

Old 03-21-2004, 08:22 AM   #13

marymc HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by surreal
Receding gums???
It's where you have to have gum grafting because your gums have receded and your roots are exposed. I had braces about 10 years ago is why I've had to have it done...

Closed Thread