It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2004, 09:17 PM   #1

SlainteMhath HB User
Question Partial denture OR a bridge.. ??

Hi there!

Today I went to the dentist to get a filling, after having chipped part of a tooth that had needed work . After doing Xrays, she determined she cant save the tooth and gave me the option of getting a bridge or a partial denture...
UGHHHHHH
Im 32 yrs old..always looked after my teeth..and now im hearing """dentures""" which everyone relates to ""old people""...not to offend anyone out there! ;-)I left there feeling very down. :-(
She didnt explain either procedure as she was rushed but said i could think about it.
Any suggestions?

The bridge will cost $1900
the denture $850.00
My insurance wont cover the bridge but will cover 80% of the denture.

The tooth is more to the front...I never wore braces or had dental work other than fillings. I do wear a bite plate at nite for TMJ.

What should i look for or ask??
Id really appreciate some input.

Thanks so much in Advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2004, 04:20 AM   #2

letsconnect HB User
Re: Partial denture OR a bridge.. ??

[QUOTE=SlainteMhath]Hi there!

Especially if the teeth on either side are reasonably healthy, you may want to consider an implant.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2004, 12:44 PM   #3
(female)

picksie HB User

If cost is not a factor, definitely the impant if you have only one affected tooth. Otherwise with a bridge, you destroy the tooth on either side because they have to crown them. The only downside is most insurance plans don't cover implants so you may end up paying more. I chose the bridge in my case because I had two teeth next to each other that had to be removed and being near the front, I didn't want a partial - I wanted something immovable. Course, it cost me over $3k!

And believe it or not, there are a lot of people who have dentures or partials at your age these days....read the boards and you'll see lots. Good luck.

Old 02-23-2004, 05:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LL29 HB User

What about getting a root canal with a crown over it ?? Not sure if an implant is the same thing or not (post and crown)?

Dentists are a huge rip off these days so spend the time getting FREE consultations. Open the yellow pages and just start calling places - explain your situation over the phone and half the time the secretary will know what to tell you to do. LOL

Whatever you do - NEVER take one dentists word on it because once you get something major like that done - there's no turning back. It's worth the time...........and money. SHOP AROUND!

Good luck

Laurie

Old 02-24-2004, 08:54 PM   #5

Infogirl06 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlainteMhath
Hi there!

Today I went to the dentist to get a filling, after having chipped part of a tooth that had needed work . After doing Xrays, she determined she cant save the tooth and gave me the option of getting a bridge or a partial denture...
UGHHHHHH
Im 32 yrs old..always looked after my teeth..and now im hearing """dentures""" which everyone relates to ""old people""...not to offend anyone out there! ;-)I left there feeling very down. :-(
She didnt explain either procedure as she was rushed but said i could think about it.
Any suggestions?

The bridge will cost $1900
the denture $850.00
My insurance wont cover the bridge but will cover 80% of the denture.

The tooth is more to the front...I never wore braces or had dental work other than fillings. I do wear a bite plate at nite for TMJ.

What should i look for or ask??
Id really appreciate some input.

Thanks so much in Advance!

Hello, I am now 30 and I got a partial.
I got it when i was 27-28. I went throught ALOT with lots of diff Dentist and due to RCT not working I had my teeth pulled. I spent over $5000 on everything. I went thought some stuff over 2 years. I finally found a perfect Dr who's not after my $..lol and understands what I was gonig through. Anyway I got an acrylic upper partial and I love it. NO ONE can even tell. I Wasn't about to go through shaving down good teeth. Cuz If something goes wrong with the tooth that's holding the bridge say good bye to it. My mom got lots of fancy stuff done with her teeth over the years and ended up getting partials anyway so I thought for me Why go through all that $ and stress.
As I said b4 I like it. it's easy to take care of and no one can tell. My husband was really shocked it's fake.
Anyway Good luck : )

Closed Thread