It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2004, 11:24 AM   #1
(female)

picksie HB User
Still numb?

I had two crowns and a filling this morning on my left upper anterior teeth. My Dentist had to give me a second injection of anesthesia to finish the filling because my teeth are extra sensitive. However, that was at 915 CST which is about 4 hours ago. I'm still somewhat numb and cannot talk or smile normally now. Is that normal? Usually it wears off after a couple hours. Should I call the Dentist? I'm somewhat concerned...

Old 02-18-2004, 02:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

coppertop HB User
Re: Still numb?

Oh my goodness!! I had the exact same question! I just had a root canal done today and four hours later I'm still pretty numb...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2004, 12:50 AM   #3

letsconnect HB User
Re: Still numb?

Yes, that's normal. It depends on the type and amount of anaesthetic used for the procedure (for some procedures, you'll want sth stronger and longer-lasting so that there's no post-operative pain). While I'm not an expert, as far as I understand, stronger anaesthetics such as marcaine last longer than anaesthetics such as lidocaine which is one of the standard anaesthetics used for simple procedures.

Old 02-20-2004, 06:12 PM   #4

Spelly HB User
Unhappy Re: Still numb?

I visited the Dentist 5 days ago and the left side of my face is still swollen and numb
In desperation I rang my Dentist and he called me in immediately (2 days ago) and he said I could be allergic to the rubber dam (not sure if that is the correct terminology!) so he stuck a bit of the rubber on my arm with a bandaid over it to see if I get a reaction ... to date, there is no redness or reaction. Yesterday I visited my Doctor to see if he knew why I was still numb and swollen - he has given me Penicillin to take. So far the medication hasn't worked :-(
The dental work I had done involved re-constructing a back tooth (on the left hand side) because it had several cracks in it. He put the dam thingy in my mouth to stop stuff going down my throat - said it was a kinder way of dealing with dentistry work!
Help!!!! has anyone out there ever been numb and swollen for over 5 days???

Closed Thread