It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2004, 09:19 AM   #1

WishUwerehere HB User
Crowding of lower front teeth and need for retainers

I am 35 and have recently experienced some crowding of my lower front teeth resulting in slight rotation of one tooth. Has anyone else experienced this? I read that this can be a normal part of the aging process, but my dentist seemed quite alarmed by it and is recommending both upper and lower retainers, saying that it is exerting pressure on one of my top front teeth, pushing it out just a little (barely perceptible).

I guess I am just trying to decide if I should spend close to $1000 for these retainers at my age. Is this something that will keep getting worse or just stay the same? My dentist has a way of emphasizing the worst-case-scenario and explaining the "ideal" situation as if it is absolutely necessary. I guess I don't understand how the rotated tooth on the bottom could be affecting the top tooth, because first of all they don't even feel like they are touching with I close my teeth, and secondly, I don't go around with my teeth closed most of the time, so I don't see how they would be having enough prolonged contact for that to happen.

I am leaning toward just getting the bottom retainer to stop the situation from getting worse. I am pretty sure I don't want to get the top retainer at this point because the problem is barely perceptible. But if it's not likely to get any worse, I'd rather save my money and not do anything. Anyone have input/experiences?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2004, 07:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LL29 HB User
Re: Crowding of lower front teeth and need for retainers

I haven't even finished reading your post but when I saw $1000 for retainers - get a second opinion. You'd be amazed at what some dentists do out here - half are a bunch of crooks.

Please see another before you make any decisions and do some price checks with other dentists first - I find that a bit high.

Old 02-22-2004, 07:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LL29 HB User

OK I read the rest. LOL Save your money - if it's not bothering you and not shifting your other teeth - don't worry about it.

If you don't want it moving or if it starts to bother you or hurts you then get the bottom retainer, but there is no reason you need the top.

Dentists just kill me nowadays and you might want to switch dentists.

Old 02-22-2004, 08:52 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

coppertop HB User

Dentists can be like anybody else wanting to make some money. My dentist points out EVERY little thing he could fix like tiny little chips in my teeth that I don't care about or one tooth that is pushed back a little. I told him I would fix things that can affect the health of my teeth now, and I'll fix the cosmetic problems when I win the lottery

Old 02-22-2004, 10:13 PM   #5

WishUwerehere HB User

Thanks, guys! I am so glad to hear that someone else has the same experiences with dentists and feels the same way I do! I actually posted this question on a website where a dentist answers the questions, asking if there were other options besides the retainers, and this was his response, verbatim:

"Find the money. If your car broke down you would find the 4-800.00 to fix it. This is not a lot of money to fix something you'll have for a lifetime...and do it right,as your dentist recommends."

Sheesh, who made him the Dr. Laura of teeth??? He might as well have put one of these in: His response isn't even relevant to what I asked. Would it have been so difficult for him to just say, "Your dentist is making the appropriate recommendation"???? I guess he just couldn't resist bagging on me since I am just a moron with a puny doctoral degree in something other than dentistry. Reminds me of the plastic surgeon I went to who acted like a tummy-tuck was the only thing that could save me from a life on the traveling freak show circuit. He actually looked at my 5 month-old infant and said, "What took you so long to come in?" I must be doing something to bring this on myself.....

As for my dentist, she makes a big production out of everything, gasping and widening her eyes every time she looks in my mouth. She has been making me feel like I ought to just go ahead and move to the trailer park if I don't want to get this problem (that no one else can see) fixed. At 35, my beauty queen days are over, and my kids are getting to the age where they are going to be needing braces soon, so I think it would be selfish of me to spend so much money on my teeth when my own husband could barely even notice it.

Old 02-23-2004, 08:30 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

coppertop HB User

I agree, there is a big difference between spending money on transportation that is necessary (key word) and dental work that is cosmetic. Now, if this problem was going to affect the health of your teeth or gums thats different but if its just to have a straight smile than its a choice between that and many other things.

Old 02-23-2004, 04:57 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

LL29 HB User

WUWH - it was prob. your dentist that answered that website question. LMAOOTF HAHAHHAHAHHAHA

If it doesn't hurt, no need to fix it. Funny how he/she used the car broke down analogy because 48 hours or 60 min. (or one of those shows) just had a special on the mechanic ripoffs - jiffy lube and all the rest of the mechanics. One guy was ADAMANT this woman spend the $800 to fix her car and NOTHING was wrong with it. LOL

Your better off asking the boards where you'll get honest answers. Now granted - in case your dentist were a member here - always make sure you get quite a few opinions first. LOL Bottom line - use your best judgement and go with your gut. You knew she was full of it - stick to your good ole moral values.

Laurie

Old 02-23-2004, 07:23 PM   #8

WishUwerehere HB User

You are so right about the car analogy....I wish Prime Time would do an expose on dentists!

Closed Thread