It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2004, 07:05 PM   #1

WishUwerehere HB User
Anyone had tooth contouring/reshaping?

If so, why did you have it and are you pleased with the results? I'm also interested in knowing the approximate cost. Thanks!

Old 02-22-2004, 06:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LL29 HB User
Re: Anyone had tooth contouring/reshaping?

Hi there and first - how old are you? Why are you thinking about this?

I was in a car accident when I was 15 yrs. old and had perfect teeth (had braces as well) - they were straight, white ....beautiful. Then since I had traumatized my jaw in the car accident - after about 6 yrs. I had to have a root canal. When you have that done it discolors the tooth or causes it to turn a slightly gray color because it's dead basically - no blood or oxygen going to it.

To make a long story short - over time - I kept popping up with root canals that needed to be done (when you hurt your teeth/jaw - they say that normally happens if it's a hard hit) so I decided to get veneers on my teeth (just the upper). He did do a good job but I felt very different and somewhat regretted it because it didn't feel like me REAL teeth and food would get caught in certain spots, etc... Or someone might mention false teeth or something and I felt awkward or embarrassed.

It all boils down to ..........do you really care if it's fake or not? Nowadays everyone is getting it done so it's not a big deal, but they can also cause receeding gums as well so you have to be careful and it all depends if you're affecting it at the root or not.

It is also VERY expensive if you're going to have it done right. I'm getting 8 teeth on my top redone with crowns vs. veneers (when it's veneers - they actually shave down the outside of your real tooth so once it's done - you'll never get back your original teeth again) and it'll cost me around $11K or more. Yes it's that expensive! It all depends on what you want done but there are places that give free consultations if you're that interested.

If you're young and there's nothing wrong with your smile - just get the brightwhite ($600 to $800 depending on where you live) and it'll whiten you up. It's done in the doctor's office and you sit under rays for about 2 hours.

Laurie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2004, 09:25 PM   #3

WishUwerehere HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL29
Hi there and first - how old are you? Why are you thinking about this?

I was in a car accident when I was 15 yrs. old and had perfect teeth (had braces as well) - they were straight, white ....beautiful. Then since I had traumatized my jaw in the car accident - after about 6 yrs. I had to have a root canal. When you have that done it discolors the tooth or causes it to turn a slightly gray color because it's dead basically - no blood or oxygen going to it.

To make a long story short - over time - I kept popping up with root canals that needed to be done (when you hurt your teeth/jaw - they say that normally happens if it's a hard hit) so I decided to get veneers on my teeth (just the upper). He did do a good job but I felt very different and somewhat regretted it because it didn't feel like me REAL teeth and food would get caught in certain spots, etc... Or someone might mention false teeth or something and I felt awkward or embarrassed.

It all boils down to ..........do you really care if it's fake or not? Nowadays everyone is getting it done so it's not a big deal, but they can also cause receeding gums as well so you have to be careful and it all depends if you're affecting it at the root or not.

It is also VERY expensive if you're going to have it done right. I'm getting 8 teeth on my top redone with crowns vs. veneers (when it's veneers - they actually shave down the outside of your real tooth so once it's done - you'll never get back your original teeth again) and it'll cost me around $11K or more. Yes it's that expensive! It all depends on what you want done but there are places that give free consultations if you're that interested.

If you're young and there's nothing wrong with your smile - just get the brightwhite ($600 to $800 depending on where you live) and it'll whiten you up. It's done in the doctor's office and you sit under rays for about 2 hours.

Laurie
Laurie,
Thanks so much for your response. I am so sorry to hear about all that you went through with your teeth! It sort of makes my problem pale in comparison.....

I am 35 years old, and I've always had pretty good teeth, although they are a bit crowded and seem to be getting moreso. I'm not really concerned about the whiteness, although they certainly could use some help. My main concern is with one tooth on the bottom that has rotated slightly and is sticking out, putting pressure on the tooth above it and causing it to start to stick out as well. It is not painful and doesn't really affect my bite, but my dentist says that it will continue to get worse as I age. I really don't want to deal with the cost and commitment of retainers or braces at my age, particularly since my 2 sons will soon be needing them and we don't have any orthodontia coverage!! So I am wondering if the problem tooth could just be shaved down a little so that it is no longer pressing on the tooth above it. My dentist is not very good at discussing options with me or answering my questions, so I think I am going to go to a cosmetic dentist who also does braces for a consultation. I'm sure I would be better off going to an orthodontist if I decide to have braces, but I figure this guy is sort of a "generalist" who will be able to give me all of the possible options. I don't really want to "fix" the problem, as it is not that noticeable. I just want to keep it from getting any worse.

Anyway, sorry so long! Thanks so much for sharing your experiences, Laurie!

Old 02-23-2004, 04:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LL29 HB User

Anytime WUWH Most general dentists could've answered or fixed your problem though. If your bottom tooth or your bite is hitting your upper teeth/bite and disturbing them then yes - I'd say shave it down as long as it's not in plain view. Maybe take an eyeliner and color in the top of the tooth you would shave to see if the look of it would bother you because once it's shaved - you can't put it back on.

Dentistry is VERY VERY expensive. Braces aren't as expensive anymore - but cosmetic dentistry is outrageous. Luckily I shopped around and saved 4K on what I'm about to have redone. See the vast different - four thousand dollars - can you even believe it.

Wish you well Laurie

PS: Where do u live - cost of living changes really matter when comparing costs.

Old 02-23-2004, 06:03 PM   #5

WishUwerehere HB User

I live in the midwest, so it is probably cheaper here than anywhere else (which is scarey!). That is a great idea about the eyeliner, though. I'm going to try it right now! Thanks!

Old 02-23-2004, 08:20 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

LL29 HB User

Hope it works out the way you want Just be smart about it and what you can and can't live/deal with. Ask your hubby's HONEST opinion too because he might be being nice. LOL

Closed Thread