It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2004, 03:13 AM   #1
sp00ky

eroding teeth?!

Hi all,

Got some concerns about my teeth. I am a student in the final year of university, and I have noticed my teeth getting progressively worse here. I brush my teeth 3 times a day, and have always taken good care of them. But recently my enamel just seems to be wearing away completely, particularly near the gums, making them sensitive. A couple of years a go my dentist said i was brushing too hard, so i got an electric toothbrush and eased up a bit. But still my teeth wear away, and become yellow the longer it is since brushing. And to get rid of the ugly colour, I brush them to make them white again! Vicious circle? How can I remineralise my teeth? I am using flouride mouthwash now but after a few weeks I am noticing no difference. I dont understand whats making them erode. My unhelpful dentist just accused me of being a bullimic/alcoholic. Any ideas my appreciated.

Sp00ky

Old 02-26-2004, 07:03 AM   #2

scarlett_moon HB User
Lightbulb Re: eroding teeth?!

You may have a high PH level in your mouth.Not many have it I have it and after many years of getting my teeth re-enamel I am looking at getting dentures.I mean they look great but one day I went to eat a piece of slice cheese and I had a tooth I had enameled about a year before just break right into.
It may be something you may want to ask you dentist and push the issue its rare but people do have it.

Some tips dont eat food that is hard like hard candy and bite into,dont drink alot of canned soda or herbal teas they are VERY high in PH.
Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2004, 09:55 AM   #3
sp00ky

Re: eroding teeth?!

Oh wow, thanks for the advice. I have never heard of such a thing, but its a possibility. I know alcohol is a factor (hey, Im a British student, what can I do?), but I dont see anyone else with this problem. The problem is bad today and Im getting fed up with it
Its almost like they feel gritty and rough too, particularly when I drink red wine.
In the meantime, in what ways can I help my teeth to remineralise? Does rubbing toothpaste onto your teeth help?

Ta,

sp00ky

Old 02-26-2004, 08:37 PM   #4

scarlett_moon HB User
Lightbulb Re: eroding teeth?!

The only thing that did help me was going back to the dentist.I did use a teeth whitener to sorta even out the color.

I have been going to the same dentist for 21 years since I was a young teenager and he said in all his years he has only had 3 people with a high ph level.

Mine has to do (they think) when I was a child I was on alot of medicine for my kidney which stopped growing when I was 4 and he seems to think that is what did it for me.My mom was told when I young I may have to have all silver teeth but my baby teeth where great its my adult teeth it hit.As far I know there isnt a cure for it.I dont know if there may be a test they can do on your salvia to see if the PH level is high.Best of luck.

Ohhhh you may want to ask about getting ughhh I cant think what it is called but its a sealant they can apply to your teeth to help.I almost forgot about that again....
Good luck

Old 02-26-2004, 10:08 PM   #5

just_imagine HB User

Oh my gosh, I am so happy you posted this because I have the exact same problem, and I came here to post about it!

I'm 22, and since the age of 13 have been warned by my dentist that my enamel was wearing down and that I had to cut back on drinking coke. I slightly ignored that pretty much through high school, but in the last 5 years especially I have REALLY cut down, I drink lots of water and I only drink diet maybe once ever 3 or 4 days. My dentist told me diet soda wasn't as bad, but at my last visit a couple of days ago she told me my front teeth now are VERY thin on enamel (it used to be mostly just the back) and she also accused me of being bulimic. I was so insulted I actually had to fight back tears until I was out of there.

She told me if I didn't start being "really careful", I was going to need crowns soon, and that scares the crap out of me. Is there ANYTHING else I can do, or that they can do, besides getting crowns?? I brush my teeth 2-3 times a day, floss, drink lots of water, I've never been a bulimic in my life, so I really don't understand what's causing this.

Old 02-28-2004, 07:34 AM   #6
(female)

tiramasu HB User

hey i'm a british student too!! a dental student! i have this tooth wear problem too, especially on my upper molars where the tooth meets the gum. in fact, i have an actual ledge there, just under my gum!! i asked one of the consultant dentists about it and he said it was most likely because i was brushing too hard and most importantly that the toothpaste i'm using is too abrasive (different toothpastes have different particle sizes in them, the bigger the particle size, the more abrasive) i'm using crest complete at the moment which i know is quite abrasive. i can feel the particles between my fingers!! i think sensodyne is a little kinder. i know there are toothpastes that are especially designed with fine particles (not sure which ones) for this problem. i rarely drink fizzy drinks so i know its not that.

also they recommend you using a medium softness brush too. if its hard you can cause gum recession too aswel as tooth abrasion!

good luck guys!

Old 03-16-2004, 12:53 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

wackytoposthere HB User

to: just imagine -

DIET SODA-LESS CALORIES, MORE SIDE EFFECTS!

At the World Environmental Conference aspartame was suggested to have “critical devastating” effects on the body. Aspartame, marketed as Nutrasweet, Equal and Spoonful, is found in most, if not all, diet sodas. Also watch out for Splendid. Symptoms such as fibromyalgia, spasms, shooting pains, numbness of the legs, cramps, vertigo, seizures, dizziness, headaches, tinnitus (ringing in the ears), joint pain, depression, anxiety attacks, slurred speech, blurred vision and memory loss were sighted in conjunction with aspartame consumption. Some doctors believe that methanol poisoning from aspartame mimics multiple sclerosis, leading to mis-diagnosis as MS. Systemic lupus is believed to be another mis-diagnosis of this poisoning. Doctors are finding relief of symptoms when patients are removed from aspartame, yet it is still on the market. There are 92 documented symptoms of aspartame, from comma to death. Birth defects such a mental retardation, have also been linked to aspartame poisoning. The original lab tests resulted in brain tumors in animals.

Senator Howard Metzenbaum recently wrote a bill that would have instituted independent studies, but it was killed by the powerful drug and chemical lobbies. This is just another example of how important it is for consumers to not blindly trust the government or any other organization to always look after the health interest of the consumer. Now days you need to be careful with anything you put into your body, especially things that don’t occur naturally and are generated in a lab or chemical plant. Lots of people, in a well-meaning attempt to reduce their sugar intake, have turned to diet sodas. If you know anyone that has the types of symptoms mentioned above and drinks a lot of diet soda, tell them to speak to a health professional and get the latest information from a non-biased source.

Closed Thread