It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2004, 01:36 PM   #1

purestreams HB User
Cavity in tooth with root canal?

undefined
My niece e-mailed me that she is having to have a cavity filled in a tooth that has had a root canal and cap. She is going to have to pay for a new cap as they are unable to use the one that is there. I have never heard of such a thing---how does one get a cavity in a root canal tooth and how is it diagnosed that way? Has anyone else ever had this kind of problem? I am personally a little skeptical. Her dental hygienist told her that the tooth was still alive even though the nerve has been removed and can still develop decay. Thank you anyone who may have any info on such a thing.

Last edited by purestreams; 02-27-2004 at 01:37 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-29-2004, 02:11 PM   #2
(female)

soliloquy HB User
Re: Cavity in tooth with root canal?

A root canal removes the nerve from the tooth, but the tooth structure above the gums is still prone to decay just like any other tooth. One possible way to get a cavity on a tooth with a crown is underneath the margin or edge of the crown. A thorough dental examination can catch these cavities by feeling the "catch" under the crown. Once decay gets started there, it is very difficult to clean out and fill. Usually the crown has to be removed and the cavity taken care of. Since crowns are cast to exactly fit the tooth when they're made, any changes in the shape of the tooth will cause the crown to not fit - that is if the dentist could get the crown off in one piece in the first place. BTW, I'm not a dentist but have worked in the field for over 25 years (assistant).

Last edited by soliloquy; 02-29-2004 at 02:13 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-29-2004, 07:19 PM   #3

Snowbunnie HB User
Re: Cavity in tooth with root canal?

i thought the same thing but had a very deep cavity in it.. well i had to have it removed so my 2k root canal was a waste and now i have to get a dental implant that is going to cost me 3k so in my eyes your neice is lucky!!!

Closed Thread