It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2004, 03:41 PM   #1

raidx HB User
Gingivitis and foul tasting mouthwash

Went to the dentist the other day and got xrayed. I was told that I had just joined the 70% of adults over 30 who have gingivitis. Mine is in the most early detectable stage so it's all good for now. I was given this prescription mouth wash (Chlorhexidine Glucomate) that according to him targets the bacteria that cause this problem.

Problem now is that the mouthwash leaves an unpleasant taste through the rest of the day! There's got to be something different out there that I can try... I really can't believe I have to go the rest of my life using this mouth wash and with this taste in my mouth to save my teeth :/

Is there any other alternatives? Is Listerine not good enough to do the job?

Thanks

Last edited by raidx; 02-27-2004 at 03:42 PM.

Old 02-27-2004, 06:44 PM   #2

flygirrll HB User
Re: Gingivitis and foul tasting mouthwash

Hi Raidx

Last time I got my teeth cleaned, my dentist told me I could use one of three mouthwashes that would all fight gingivitis, chlorhexidine was one, listerine was another, and a third one that I can't remember. So I use Listerine. The new natural citrus flavor isn't bad at all and doesn't burn like the mint flavors.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2004, 07:23 AM   #3
(female)

tiramasu HB User
Re: Gingivitis and foul tasting mouthwash

hi,

the chlorhex is really good at targeting the bacteria causing perio disease, but as you rightly point out it causes taste disturbances. this is because its method of action is to stick to the tissue in your mouth and release over 12 hours. this effect is accumulative aswell (ie-the more you use it, the worse your taste disturbances) and used too much it can cause reversible tooth staining. i don't think you should stop using it- use it maybe once or twice a week (like a weekly disinfectant), and a couple of hours after brushing as it is de-activated by the calcium in your toothpaste!

the post above mine is right too, listerine has been proved to be the next best thing and doesn't cause tooth staining. i read a study recently which showed 7mths of listerine use in patients with gingivitis and gum disease caused a huge decrease in plaque accumulation and disease causing bacteria.

other than that, a regular scale and polish helps too!

Closed Thread