It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2004, 09:30 AM   #1

gossgal HB User
Exclamation immediate dentures at 25 im scared!

Hi all! I am new but would greatly like to hear from anyone.i am 25 and have to have all my teeth pulled 26 i think.This stems from a phobia of dentist and eating disorders.I have had treatment for disorders and think i can manage the phobia part.I am looking at haveing immediate dentures made and the put right in on March 19.I am excited as i feel this is the last part to my healing process but also am very scared.What do i have to look forward too? I think i have a pretty high pain tolerance but am more afraid of being put to sleep( silly fears of not waking up etc..)I know this will be worth it as my favorite thing to do is smile(which i havent been able to do in over 7 years)Its seems like a supportive bunch here.My husband is very supportive as well but the fear of the unknown is killing me and i can only pray i can make myself actually show up to do this.Help! please...lol

Old 03-01-2004, 09:47 AM   #2
Veteran

abbygirl2 HB User
Re: immediate dentures at 25 im scared!

Hi, I was 18 when I had to have all my teeth removed, we have never figured out what caused all my teeth to rapidly decay. I must tell you, you NEED to keep this appointment. I have a tremendous fear of dentists and putting it off will only make it harder for you. I put it off, and my teeth got worse, and so did the pain.
I had my teeth removed and the new teeth put in immediately. I was asleep so didn't feel anything (until I woke up). My mouth was sore for a few days and I couldn't talk nor eat much. Because your gums are swollen you feel alot of pressure but make sure you follow the dentists advice and take any pain meds they give you. I was like you and for along time couldn't smile, I was too embarrassed, it feels great to have beautiful teeth again.

Being 'knocked out' is very scary but rest assured that these people do this everyday, and they know what they are doing. They will take good care of you.
Good luck, and don't let your fears prevent you from smiling any longer!!!
Abbygirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2004, 09:52 AM   #3

gossgal HB User
Talking Re: immediate dentures at 25 im scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbygirl2
Hi, I was 18 when I had to have all my teeth removed, we have never figured out what caused all my teeth to rapidly decay. I must tell you, you NEED to keep this appointment. I have a tremendous fear of dentists and putting it off will only make it harder for you. I put it off, and my teeth got worse, and so did the pain.
I had my teeth removed and the new teeth put in immediately. I was asleep so didn't feel anything (until I woke up). My mouth was sore for a few days and I couldn't talk nor eat much. Because your gums are swollen you feel alot of pressure but make sure you follow the dentists advice and take any pain meds they give you. I was like you and for along time couldn't smile, I was too embarrassed, it feels great to have beautiful teeth again.

Being 'knocked out' is very scary but rest assured that these people do this everyday, and they know what they are doing. They will take good care of you.
Good luck, and don't let your fears prevent you from smiling any longer!!!
Abbygirl
Thank you sooooo much! it feels good to hear from other people and i think that is what will help me through this... Normal people that have been through it guiding me along.I may need more as march 19 gets closer...lol.Thanks a bunch again!

Old 03-01-2004, 09:56 AM   #4

SnJmom HB User

Hi Gossgal , I had my teethe done jan 22 , It was the best thing i have done. I now have a beautiful smile and i feel awsome. I am not going to lie and say it doesnt hurt, But you will and should have pain meds to get you through . I am so glad i finally went through this, It really has changed self esteem and everything. I wish you tons of luck , I know you are scared about being put to sleep , But beleive me you should do fine. Lets us know what you decide ok .

Old 03-01-2004, 10:39 AM   #5

gossgal HB User

You guys are just being so awesome.I'm not real scared of the pain included because it has got to be better than tooth ache after tooth ache. Its just the unknown and of course the WPT(what people think) syndrome...lol.

Old 03-01-2004, 11:18 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User

Fear of the unknown is sort of healthy. The "what people think" syndome affects us all and not just because we wear dentures. If you do not offer people a reason for something, they invent one- whatever suits their curiosity. In my case my teeth got loose during my pregnancy- they had been healthy and nice looking but suddenly began to get wobbly, some came out before the baby was born, the rest were pulled after. During the time I was missing teeth people made up stories who did not know me- everything from domestic abuse to drug addiction. Those close to me knew the truth and supported me. The most important thing is to go into this with a positive attitude, find people for support and the heck with the others.
As Sn said, there will be pain but you will get over it. Stop back here often with your questions, there are lots of good people to help hold your hand.

Sandy

Old 03-01-2004, 07:29 PM   #7

mysticvenus HB User

Gossgal:

I have 24 teeth pulled on December 15th. Like Sandy mine went bad after the birth of my son. I put it off for three years and things just kept getting worse and worse. I was really scared too and had a real phobia about dentists. I found a dentist that I really liked and he did my impressions. Two weeks later after lots and lots of swaying back and forth about would I do it or wouldn't I, I went to the oral surgeon. I chose to be asleep during the procedure because I'm such a chicken. I went to sleep in the dentist's chair and woke up in my own bed!!!! I'll be honest with you the first week isn't much fun. The pain isn't really all the bad and the pain meds help alot. Dentures will take some getting used to but I am so, so glad I did it. I now have a beautiful smile and I smile all the time. I am no longer embarassed to be seen by people. I was so self conscious, I wouldn't let anyone take my picture and most of the time I would talk to people with my hand over my mouth so nobody could see my teeth.

You are going to do great. It must be a very stressful time for you right now and there are alot of conflicting emotions going on. You're angry, upset, excited, scared and a part of you is probably thinking, if I had just done this or that differently, I wouldn't be in this situation. Don't dwell on any of the negative. You are making the best decision you can and from what you've said about having to overcome other problems, this will be a piece of cake (and with your new teeth, you will be able to eat it too!!!)

Good luck to you. Keep up all posted as to your progress. We all care about you.

Old 03-13-2004, 02:41 AM   #8

roxie7 HB User

I was wondering if any of you would know the answer to this: When they do "impressions" for the dentures, is that to match your natural teeth, or is it just getting your gum and jaw measurements, etc? If you have one or two crooked teeth, and then get dentures put in, can they make them straight, so that there is nothing crooked anymore? Just curious... Many of my teeth are rotted or broken (years of battling bulemia), and I think I might do this (just have to get up the guts to go ask for it!) I have one misaligned front tooth that kinda messes up my smile right now. I would love for a straight white smile finally! Thanks in advance for any and all info...

Old 03-13-2004, 03:03 AM   #9

kimmers37 HB User
Wink Re: immediate dentures at 25 im scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossgal
Hi all! I am new but would greatly like to hear from anyone.i am 25 and have to have all my teeth pulled 26 i think.This stems from a phobia of dentist and eating disorders.I have had treatment for disorders and think i can manage the phobia part.I am looking at haveing immediate dentures made and the put right in on March 19.I am excited as i feel this is the last part to my healing process but also am very scared.What do i have to look forward too? I think i have a pretty high pain tolerance but am more afraid of being put to sleep( silly fears of not waking up etc..)I know this will be worth it as my favorite thing to do is smile(which i havent been able to do in over 7 years)Its seems like a supportive bunch here.My husband is very supportive as well but the fear of the unknown is killing me and i can only pray i can make myself actually show up to do this.Help! please...lol
Hi:
I know what you are feeling...I had my top teeth extracted back in November and 14 bottoms in january without being put asleep. It is very scary but its all worth it in the long run.I am finally getting my dentures next week. Just think positive and you will get through it all OK. Good Luck to you...keep us posted. Kim

Old 03-13-2004, 10:56 AM   #10
Veteran

abbygirl2 HB User

When I had my dentures made(10 years ago) I had a crooked eye tooth. They made the teeth in the dentures perfectly straight. It looked much better. One word of caution, when they made my dentures and several others I know that had them done as well, they were too short. Aparently this is common with dentures, so make sure you demand a 'proper' look, one that you are satisfied with. Although I love my new(now old) teeth, you can barely see them when I smile. I need to have a new set made soon and this time am going to ask that they make them longer. Just some advice.
Good luck

Old 03-15-2004, 04:02 PM   #11

chego HB User

Hi there! I am so glad to have found this board! I am 38 years old and like you have problems stemming from eating disorders and dentist phobia! I have never been to a dentist in my life!!! I always had crooked yellowish teeth from a young age and was never taken to a dentist as a child. As I grew older I began to develop a phobia about going, I would literally shake and feel sick at the thoughts of it. I also comfort ate my way through my teens, twenties and early thirties, sometimes eating and eating/bingeing until I could feel the vomit coming up my throat. This still didn't stop me and I would carry on until I actually vomited. Even now, I still do this now and again. I think that I have now caused damage to my teeth from the stomach and vomit acid. I have always hated my mouth and this has caused me to have very low self esteem, depression and even thoughts of suicide. Some people may think this irrational or infantile but as most people on this board will know, an ugly mouth can be devastating. I am generally a very friendly and bubbly person but my mouth problem holds me back in many ways. I won't speak up at work, I don't like getting close up to people and I get very depressed about it. Lately, my teeth have become even more discoloured and people have actually started to make comments. Of course, the odd person in the past made a comment here and there but I buried my head in the sand (though I can remember each and every comment, who made it and when it was made!). Recently my husband brought up that they have changed colour, also two of my brothers and my brothers girlfriend. I have also noticed people giving me strange looks now and again though they try not to. I know that it has become more noticeable. I am now really scared that I have left it too late. My husband has promised to support me no m atter what the cost and here in Ireland, I believe the cost to be phenomenal. I am so frightened about the worst case scenario but at the same time feel I am getting my head around finally going to a dentist because for the first time ever, I can say the 'dentist' word and the 'teeth' word and not run for cover! Any comments on my ramblings would be appreciated!!!
Lots of love
Chego

Old 03-15-2004, 04:11 PM   #12
Inactive

SnowyLynne63 HB User

I was 42 when I had my teeth pulled,but I waited 11 months before having false teeth made...........

Old 03-15-2004, 04:15 PM   #13

jolein HB User

Hi:
I got my dentures, yipee!!! Finally!!! I been waiting since August 7, 2003 ( the day that my dentist pulled my teeths). I got it on March 3, 2004, almost two weeks, and I'm trying to adjust to this "strange thing" in my mouth. The first day was, yucky! but now I feel better. Now I don't feel nauseous all the day. About my apereance, I feel renewed!!! These things take time, but in few days your going to feel the difference.
Good luck!

Old 03-15-2004, 05:35 PM   #14

gossgal HB User

Thank you all for writing...You have helped me more than you will ever know. The best thing in this world is to not feel alone....alone is what i felt untill i came to this site.Also jolein...you felt nauseuos from the dentures?Ohhh how i hope not as i am soo scared of that and vomiting. Thank you all once again and i will continue to update all......gossgal

Old 03-15-2004, 05:55 PM   #15

roxie7 HB User

Thank you for the advice about length of teeth, abbygirl2! I agree that these boards have helped immensely. Although I don't know anyone here, just knowing that there are people out there who are going through a similar thing is SO helpful somehow, and has made me feel much stronger about asking for this done. Why go through having to hide your teeth? Life is too short.... I wanna smile and laugh!

Best of luck to you on Friday, gossgal!

Closed Thread