It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2004, 08:49 PM   #1

boufarino54 HB User
Cracked Tooth Causing Osteomyelitis

I have had tmj symptoms for 25 years but splints and therapy never helped. In the last 5 years I began to have deep pain under tooth #19 - lower first molar. I have been on antibiotics an average of once a month for years - I would feel better and then get sick with various infections like bronchitis, ear infections, sinusitis, etc. The dentist performed a root canal on me 4 years ago and it did not help. He would drain fluid out from the area and prescribe antibiotics and it would get better for a while. It got progressively worse so I changed dentists and she said I had peridontal pockets and to floss, floss, floss. Despite the flossing it still kept getting worse so she referred me to an endodontist who performed an apicoectomy (reverse root canal). She scraped out a pocket of infection and prescribed antibiotics and it was better for a while and then it began hurting again. Finally, last December I got so sick from the tooth I thought I would die - fever, trouble concentrating, vommitting, etc. I drug myself to an oral surgeon and he pulled the tooth.a It had 3 large cracks in it, in the back of the tooth, which were not visible on x-rays (I saw the tooth). After having the tooth pulled, I still felt bad so I went back to the oral surgeon and he said, "it's healing nicely and I wish I could be your savior but I can't." I went back to my regular dentist and she said it was healing nicely despite my attempt to tell her I was in agony. I CHANGED dentists and he x-rayed the area and it showed nothing, however, he PALPITATED the area and he felt an abscess and drained it and flushed it with oral antibiotics and prescribed an antibiotic mouthwash and 10 days of clindamyacin. He recommended I see another oral surgeon, which I did. The new oral surgeon took one look at me and said I had osteomyelitis of the jaw from having a cracked tooth for so long. Osteomyelitis is an infection of the bone and bone marrow and is very difficult to get rid of. He said the area was three times the normal size it was so swollen. The new oral surgeon performed an alveoplasty (scraped out the area and removed bone) and sent it to the lab to be analyzed. The lab report came back that it was infected so now I am on 8 weeks of Doxycycline. I believe I have had a cracked tooth for years and it never showed up on x-rays. I also believe the dentist performed a root canal on a cracked tooth and I had an apicoectomy on a cracked tooth and none of those so-called professionals diagnosed me correctly. I just feel fortunate to be alive because I thought I would die before I got help. I thank God for the good dentist I found and the good oral surgeon I found after seeing so many bad ones.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2004, 12:10 AM   #2

shortformofjane HB User
Re: Cracked Tooth Causing Osteomyelitis

im sorry i was trying to post this in another posting. oops!!!

Last edited by shortformofjane; 07-01-2004 at 12:38 AM. Reason: wrong posting

Old 07-01-2004, 04:58 AM   #3

CINDYLOUWHO HB User

Dear boufarino54, My daughter suffered from osteo of the jawbone 2 yrs ago. Oral antibiotics aren't strong enough to fight osteo. You need to have intraveinous antibiotics via a PICC-line and an infectious disease dr. to determine which antibiotics would work best for you. In combination with the IV antibiotics you have to have debridments(bone scraping). A bone scan should be done to show the infection, an x-ray doesn't show the depth. I pray you get the proper treatment to cure you of your osteo. You can find some very helpful information on these healthboards by doing a search for osteomylitis. There are many people on these boards who have dealt with it and posted their accounts with it, including my daughters experience with osteo. My prayers are with you, Cindy

Old 07-01-2004, 11:32 AM   #4

boufarino54 HB User

Thank you so much for your reply - it came at just the right time. I have been on antibiotics 12 times last year and constantly since January when I had the cracked tooth pulled. I am on clindamycin now and I am improved but I am at my wit's end. Thank you for the information on what to do. I have the name of an oral surgeon at the University of Oklahoma who I pray will help me. I feel like I almost died in December and no one knew why but me. Is your daughter cured now - one doctor told me it could come back. At least you would know what it was if it did come back. How many debridments did she have? Is a bone scan better than a CT scan? They did a bone scan and CT scan on me and it showed the infection and they also did a white blood cell scan and it did not show the infection. I have had a problem finding a doctor to treat me because they've never seen this before. The infectious disease doctor said I had to have a culture done first before she would see me. It has affected my heart - I now have 3 leaky heart valves and a sluggish heart muscle. I am on a mission to get this cured - THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! Carole in Oklahoma City

Old 07-07-2004, 10:15 PM   #5
(female)

susanl95 HB User

Edited due to identifying information

Last edited by susanl95; 03-03-2008 at 09:52 AM.

Old 07-08-2004, 09:28 AM   #6

Sae HB User

Do you know the name of an oral pathologist in AZ who could treat something like this or do you have a name of a doctor that helped you most? Why am I asking? Becaluse it is a possibility with me with all the jaw pains I am having and not getting answers from the dentist. I had root canals that failed and finally tooth pulled and was found cracked, which did not show up on x-ray. And now much pain.

Old 07-09-2004, 07:39 PM   #7
(female)

susanl95 HB User

Edited due to identifying information..

Last edited by susanl95; 03-03-2008 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Clarification

Old 07-09-2004, 08:12 PM   #8

Sae HB User

Hi Susan, I am so sorry you have been having such terrible problems and have had to go through so much. I'm in Phoenix. I have been to Mayo for other things but did not know they had a dental department. I have run into doctors too who did not take me seriously and suffered way too long with problems. Once I paid for an MRI myself and the problem was what I had been saying all along resulting in necessary surgery. Thank you for the info. about going to an MD/DDS oral surgeon. I think there are only 10 oral pathologists in the country and none in Phoenix. A lot of dentists do not recognize Osteomyelitis even if it shows on the x-rays according to info. I read on the Internet. I hope you will be getting over this soon and be healthy again. It is a devestating thing to have and scary too. I have Sjogren's and don't really know if O. is my problem as Sjogren's causes pain too in the neck and glands. Take care of yourself and thank you for answering.
Sae

Old 07-09-2004, 09:34 PM   #9
(female)

susanl95 HB User

Last edited by susanl95; 03-03-2008 at 09:51 AM.

Old 07-10-2004, 08:19 AM   #10

Sae HB User

Hi Susan,
I don't know if I have osteomyelitis. Just have jaw pain, neck pain, back pain and since having so many dental problems thought maybe this could be a possibility. Since you have to be your own best advocate nowadays, I thought it would be best to find all the information I can on Internet which is the greatest tool in the world. I appreciate your answer and hope you are a healthy Mom now. Best wishes,
Sae

Old 07-10-2004, 10:19 PM   #11
(female)

susanl95 HB User

Last edited by susanl95; 03-03-2008 at 09:50 AM.

Old 08-28-2004, 11:46 AM   #12
(male)

AliRah HB User

Hi Susan,

I am in the same boat as you are. I started having pain, night sweat on #36. My dentist proceeded with root canal and once sealed. The pain, night sweat returned. He refered me to oral surgeon who decided to extract the tooth. Again after one week, the same symptoms returned with addition of a lump under my jaw.

I have been diagnosed with Chronic Osteomyelitis of sterno-clavicular joints. However, my orthopedic surgeon has told me to live it as there is not much that can be done due to its location.

I have told my oral surgeons about osteomyelits but he dismissed it initially.

I am going back to my orthopedic surgeons and have him do another CT or MRI of my jaw as well as my sterno-clavicular(hot spots on bone scan).

I am currently taking Tordal for pain and Clindaymycin orally which does not help me at all.

Have you done an ESR test. An elevated ESR is one of the main symptoms of Chronic Osteomyelitis.

Let us know of your progress.

Thanks
Ali

Old 08-28-2004, 12:35 PM   #13
(female)

susanl95 HB User

Old 08-28-2004, 02:28 PM   #14
(male)

AliRah HB User

Hi Susan,

I live in Toronto, Canada. It is last moral on the lower left jaw.

Please review this website as my research wrt sternocalvicular lead to beleive I have been suffering from SAPHO(CRMO).

http://orphanet.infobiogen.fr/data/patho/GB/uk-sapho.html

Do you recommend CT or MRI as I will need to pay for it to get done it quickly otherwise I will have to wait something like 6-8 months for our universal health to cover it.

Thanks
Ali

Old 08-28-2004, 07:58 PM   #15
(female)

susanl95 HB User

Closed Thread