It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2004, 10:01 AM   #1
(female)

Linda1164 HB User
Question Allergic to Fluoride???

This is weird, but I can't use most toothpastes!!! After a couple of days, my gums start feeling sore and kind of *****ly, and also the inside of my mouth, especially the inside of my lips, that skin feels really tender and kind of sore.

Because of this, I always buy Mentadent toothpaste, which is one of a few toothpastes with which I don't develop this problem.

Also, when I get my teeth cleaned, I usually ask the hygienist to spray my gums with that pain killer stuff they use. Well, I noticed that this stuff totally tears the inside of my mouth up!!! After the little bit of numbness wears off, there are little strings of skin peeling off from all the insides of my mouth!!

Am I alone in this, or does anyone else out there have this problem????

Old 03-03-2004, 12:42 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Absinthe HB User
Re: Allergic to Fluoride???

I have similar problems with most toothpastes...they dry out the skin inside my mouth and cause it to peel. Weird huh.

The only brand I can use is Tom's all natural. It comes in non-fluoride if you want to go that route.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2004, 05:52 PM   #3
Mara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda1164
This is weird, but I can't use most toothpastes!!! After a couple of days, my gums start feeling sore and kind of *****ly, and also the inside of my mouth, especially the inside of my lips, that skin feels really tender and kind of sore.

Because of this, I always buy Mentadent toothpaste, which is one of a few toothpastes with which I don't develop this problem.

Also, when I get my teeth cleaned, I usually ask the hygienist to spray my gums with that pain killer stuff they use. Well, I noticed that this stuff totally tears the inside of my mouth up!!! After the little bit of numbness wears off, there are little strings of skin peeling off from all the insides of my mouth!!

Am I alone in this, or does anyone else out there have this problem????

Biotene makes a toothpaste and mouthwash that contains no alcohol, so does not burn or irritate. It is like Mylanta but for the mouth. Check it out it may help you.

Old 03-09-2004, 10:58 AM   #4
(female)

Linda1164 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemi
Biotene makes a toothpaste and mouthwash that contains no alcohol, so does not burn or irritate. It is like Mylanta but for the mouth. Check it out it may help you.
Thanks for the responses!! Yep, I have Biotene Mouthwash!! It's really good. Maybe I'll check out the toothpaste as well. I'm very happy with the Mentadent though... I just find it strange that I have a problem using certain toothpastes!!

Old 05-13-2004, 07:57 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Laura B HB User

Linda, I know exactly what you are talking about. I had this problem for many years. Even my dentist could not help me. But a few years ago I discovered, by accident, what the problem was. Toothpaste! When you buy toothpaste, it is important to check the "Active Incredient" It should say "Sodium monofluorophosphate" Only a few toothpastes are listing the above active ingredient. I'm taking "Colgate, Cavity Protection, Great Regular Flavor." Once in a while I try a different toothpaste just to check if I still have that problem and within a few days the problem occurs. If a toothpaste's active ingredient is "Sodium floride" stay away from it, that is the trouble maker. Sadly, most toothpastes active ingredients are the sodium floride.

Old 05-13-2004, 08:07 AM   #6

lapetite452003 HB User

Yes, this also happens to me and my mother....

Old 05-13-2004, 04:08 PM   #7
(female)

Linda1164 HB User

Oh my God!!! You too???!! I am sooo happy that I'm not the only one out there with this problem!!

And YES, I DID notice that I can only use toothpastes that say Sodium Monofluorophosphate!!! The ones that say Sodium Fluoride 0.15% with ion (or something like that) are the ones that irritate my gums... and just like you, I can use it for a few days, then I notice my gums getting swollen & irritated... WOW...I wonder how many other people have this problem!!

Old 05-14-2004, 07:20 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Laura B HB User

[QUOTE WOW...I wonder how many other people have this problem!![/QUOTE]

Linda, I wonder too. It is an allergy. It is sad that doctors and dentists don't seem to know what causes it. My episodes were so bad I went to a doctor when the dentist could not help me. Doctor said, vitamin defficiency, take Vitamin B's. Of course that never helped. I suffered with this problem so many years before I found out. Tried out all kinds of toothpastes, probably always picked up the ones with the wrong active ingredients.

Closed Thread