It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2004, 12:51 PM   #1

alibunnylady HB User
Possible dry socket

Hi all, I have just joined these message boards and thought I would post a question.

Two weeks ago this coming Monday, I had two bottom teeth removed, a molar and premolar.

Since then, I have been in pretty much constant pain, taking pain meds more or less around the clock and nothing seems to be working well.

I had a foul taste in my mouth and, um, discharge from one of the holes, figured I had an infection so went to my doctor who gave me a course of anti biotics.

The anti biotics have finished and the foul taste is much less now, though it's not gone completely.

Now, I have just been reading about dry socket and wonder if that's what I have. I can see right down to the bone at the bottom of one hole, the other one, well, that's smaller and I can't see so well but that one is nowhere near as painful and doesn't give any foul taste. I also now have a sore throat too.

There is some swelling on my jaw where the pain is, mild swelling the other side too but nothing to write home about.

As it's Saturday night, there is nothing I can do but will be ringing my dentist first thing Monday.

I am so fed up now with all this pain and taking painkillers, I am taking 2 solpadol every four hours and if that doesn't work, am also taking a voltarol about an hour after the solpadol. Only trouble with all these pills is they make me drowsy and a bit nausious too and I have spent the best part of two weeks in bed sleeping as it's the only time i'm not in any pain.

I was wondering if anyone has had experience of dry socket and if they might know if this is what I have or if they might be able to suggest anything that might help while I wait to see the dentist.

I've so far had four weeks of pain including the two weeks prior to the extractions so as you can imagine, I am getting sick to the back teeth of it! LOL Pardon the pun!

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Alison (who would love to have a good night's sleep)

The following user gives a hug of support to alibunnylady:
redpenner (01-14-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2004, 10:25 PM   #2
(female)

ACluelessOne HB User
Re: Possible dry socket

I can't say whether it is or it isn't.. but you could very well be.

I got a dry socket when I had my wisdom teeth removed. Since I have a small mouth and they were of course all the way in the back, I cannot tell you what it looked like.

All I know is that I was supposed to take 1 tylox every 4 hours, and I was taking 2, and the pain would not go away.

No pain medication can help a dry socket.

The bad thing for me was that the dentist didn't believe me.. He checked it out, said that everything looked healthy, and that it was healing nicely, but then decided to clean it out with the water jet, just to satisfy me..

that was when he discovered I had a dry socket, for as soon as that water started jetting into the socket, he found me screaming in his chair.. actually, I do feel bad for the dentist.. because he immediatly stopped what he was doing, and all I remember as I was curled up in the fetal position in the dentist chair, was that he was all the way on the other side of the room saying over and over "I'm sorry"..

He then "gently" packed it that clove tasting stuff.. and it was better ever since.

So, yes.. I would get it checked out, for if it is a dry socket, the pain will not go away..

Closed Thread