It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2004, 03:38 PM   #1

Robin213 HB User
Tooth Grinding

Im 26 I have had problems with my teeth for a while now, and fear of the dentist is a reason i dont go. I Did get 2 teeth pulled last year and never went back because the pain was so bad and everytime i think of that i dont want to go to the dentist. I have a problem with Grinding my teeth when i am sleeping, Sometimes i do it so hard and its so loud that my bf will wake me up telling me to stop. I dont realize im doing it untill i wake myself up or if someone else hears it. Soemtimes i wake myself up and my jaw hurts so bad like it is locked in a postition and then my jaw snaps and it feels sore. I asked my dentist about a mouth guard and he told me i dont need one. I dont like that dentist, and he is the only one around me that will make a payment arrangement, becaus ei do not have dental insurance. Right now i am in so much pain from a tooth that he supposedly did aroute canal on a year ago. My teeth are getting worse and worse as time goes by, and its making me feel unconfident. What could tihs griding me caused by? Thanks

Old 03-07-2004, 07:01 AM   #2
(female)

AmberUK HB User
Re: Tooth Grinding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin213
Im 26 I have had problems with my teeth for a while now, and fear of the dentist is a reason i dont go. I Did get 2 teeth pulled last year and never went back because the pain was so bad and everytime i think of that i dont want to go to the dentist. I have a problem with Grinding my teeth when i am sleeping, Sometimes i do it so hard and its so loud that my bf will wake me up telling me to stop. I dont realize im doing it untill i wake myself up or if someone else hears it. Soemtimes i wake myself up and my jaw hurts so bad like it is locked in a postition and then my jaw snaps and it feels sore. I asked my dentist about a mouth guard and he told me i dont need one. I dont like that dentist, and he is the only one around me that will make a payment arrangement, becaus ei do not have dental insurance. Right now i am in so much pain from a tooth that he supposedly did aroute canal on a year ago. My teeth are getting worse and worse as time goes by, and its making me feel unconfident. What could tihs griding me caused by? Thanks
Not that I am one to talk for being afraid of the dentist myself. But if your going to leave it and leave it for ages anyhow there seems to me to be no harm in going (with a friend if need be) saying your very nervous and saying you just want a check up and nothing actually done.

Hope it works out ok.

Last edited by Well-come; 03-07-2004 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Contact information and websites with advertising are not permitted. Please re-read the board guidelines.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2004, 11:50 AM   #3

Robin213 HB User

Hello
thank you very much for your reply. I am in the US.

I just had to go to the dentist becaus ei was up all night with a toothache. It was a infection and he had to pull it Right now im numb but i know i will be using the vicodin he gave me in a few hours. I asked him once again about the tooth grinding and he said its nothing, well i think it is asomething because its ruining my teeth, but i didnt argue with him this time i was in too much pain, and he only charged me 60.00 for the extraction and everything and plus its a sunday so that was a deal i think.. I have a payment Arrangement with him now, and he is going to help me with my teeth, as long as i keep my appointments he says. But if he doesnt acknowledge anything i tell him im going to be switching real soon.Thanks again Robin

Old 03-07-2004, 05:09 PM   #4

indy gal HB User

You really need to find something that will help alleviate the grinding, or at least minimize the damage from it. Start by finding a new dentist, one that is willing to help you find a solution.

Mouthguards can be tricky. The third time was a charm for me, as the first 2 guards I had made by dentists really didn't work for me. More than a grinder (moving mouth from side to side) I am a clencher, meaning I bite down/press my teeth together. I had a soft plastic guard made first, then a hard plastic one, and then finally - the NTI appliance. This has been my salvation! (Note: not everybody has good results with it and it is relatively new and harder to come by).

Basically, I wanted to encourage you to find a dentist that will take this seriously and one that wants to help you find a solution. Grinding only causes problems over time... trust me, the sooner you take care of it the better off you'll be.

Good luck! I know how frustrating this can be (and expensive).

Closed Thread