It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2004, 10:32 PM   #1

Tessalou HB User
Unhappy Immediate denture eating problem.

I am a 42 year old female and I received my immediate dentures on February 18. I had to get them because of advanced periodontal disease. They have never fit well. I have never had any suction on top and the lower plate feels as if it is too far back in my mouth. I have used the reline kit you buy at Wal-Mart and it does get me to have suction on top but makes the back of the plate too deep. The dentist has sanded some here and there for sore spots I was having. He sanded some off the backs of the lowers but says they are not out of line, although they feel that way to me. My biggest problem is eating. I have not been able to eat with them since I got them. Not pudding mashed potatoes or even grits. I have to take them out before I eat. I feel as if there is not enough room in my mouth for my tongue, teeth and food. which causes me to have a fear of choking. I have not had any problems with liquids just anything with any sustenance to it. About how long did it take others to start eating again with confidence? I am supposed to have a soft temporary reline done on the March 11.
Please help me other denture wearers, is it the dentures or me?

The following user gives a hug of support to Tessalou:
newgrin5153 (01-20-2012)
Old 03-08-2004, 11:32 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User
Re: Immediate denture eating problem.

It is most likely the dentures are not fitting correctly and your inexperience wearing them. Did you go to a private dentist or a denture clinic? Immediate dentures are pure guesswork. The reall "fitting" goes on now that your teeth are gone. All the pastes and powders do serve a purpose but they are supposed to supliment your dentures not do all the work. Eating takes time to master, there is no set time for when it becomes routine. Keep practicing. And keep in touch here.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2004, 04:12 PM   #3

mysticvenus HB User

Take heart, it takes some getting used to. I've had mine since December 15th and it has taken me a couple of months to get to the point that I can now eat most anything I want. I learned part of the secret is to take small bites. Remember too to try and chew on both sides that way your bottom place won't rock as much. I found that the Seabond pads on my bottom dentures helps to cushion my gum and allows enough suction. If I want extra hold, I apply Fixadent to the lower denture, than put the Seabond pad on top of that and then Fixadent on top of that. The only reason I'm going through all of this now is that mine are immediate dentures and I'm just trying to get through the next couple of months until I can start the process of getting my permanent dentures. I know I can go back into the dentist and get a reline but the last time it took soo long and I had such problems with the reline I've decided just to use the stick-em stuff to keep mine in for now. Good luck to you. It does get easier as you get used to them. Try not to get too fustrated. Take small bites and keep on the soft foods until you feel comfortable.

Old 03-08-2004, 10:44 PM   #4

Tessalou HB User

Thank you both for your input. One of the problems is these are my permanent dentures. I am worried they are so out of whack that they will never fit right and I really don't know how they are suppose to fit. My mother had dentures as long as I can remember but I do not remember her complaining that much with them and that was only with the bottom plate. I should receive the permanent reline with the hard acrylic in 3 to 6 months depending on bone shrinkage and healing. Wonít this just make them thicker and more bulky after this is done? The gums on top already feel way to thick. I know this may sound strange but I cannot rub my two lips together comfortably with the top and bottom plate in. My bottom denture rocks from front to back when I bite down. I had a lot of bone loss around this area which is causing this problem but I don't know if he can fix this. I do have a list I am jotting down on things that seem to be wrong so the next time I go to the dentist I can bring it to his attention. I usually forget every thing by the time I get there and he usually just sloughs me off as to any problems I bring up and just says "it's too soon" and "that's normal". The dentist I go to is from a larger town about 2 hours away and has a dental practice there but comes on Wednesday and Friday to a dental clinic nearby. One more question, when I do try to eat something soft like potatoes the food gathers around the top rim of my dentures and under them. Is this normal?

Old 03-09-2004, 07:20 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Hi, much of what you describe is not really normal. Many people go through huge changes in their gums/underlying bone soon after the teeth are removed. When I got my dentures I was practically living at the dentists office I was back so frequently for adjustments. He encouraged me to stay in close contact as he said the first few weeks or months often determine how successful a denture wearer you will be. If you get off to a bad start things cannot improve because you get a certain mindset. I have also heard of dentists not wanting to deal with denture patients the same as they would a patient requiring a crown or something more meaningful in their eyes. It is good that you are writing stuff down- it can be very frustrating since you have never worn dentures before and the dentist hasn't either so he is telling you what the text books on the subject say. My dentist told me that very few dentists can do quality dentures or even order them correctly through a lab. The impressions are the key to a good fit and if they do lousy impressions then you will have lousy dentures. It sounds to me like you will need a re-base instead of a reline. That is where they use the same teeth but cut away all the pink false gums and replace them with properly fitting gums. The last thing you want is really bulky dentures. Do you know other denture wearers that you may talk to for advice and to see who their dentist is- maybe you need to see someone for a consultation.

Old 03-11-2004, 09:29 AM   #6

Tessalou HB User

Thanks for the responses. Went to the dentist yesterday for my temporary soft reline. He did sand some off the top plate palate which is good considering he added the reline. I did eat two soft Ritz crackers last night with top and bottom plate in which wasn't as bad as it has been in the past. I am considering seeing someone else if things do not improve in the next 3 to 6 months. I don't think I want him to do my permanent reline with his current "I really don't know how I can fix this at this point" attitude. The soft reline material he put in overlaps at the top gum line and at the bottom of the lower plate I asked him about this and he said if any of it bothers me just trim it off some with some manicure scissors. I did do this because it was fitting way up in my gum line and now they have rough edges. Does anyone know of a way to smooth this reline material out?

Old 03-11-2004, 10:51 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Hi, thanks for the update. I think you should seek another oppinion sooner rather than later. You should not be in the agony that you appear to be at this point. I had a soft liner in my lower denture for a while and I trimmed it with an exacto knife or hobby knife. I did not get a rough edge but I think using some hot water and your finger to knead it like putty would work. Just be careful you don't yank the liner out.
His attitude is not helping solve your problems. I would look elsewhere right away. If you know anyone else with dentures, ask them who they go to and if they are satisfied with the care and the quality of the dentures- nothing goes further than word of mouth in a case like this. No one really wants to talk about dentures let alone admit they wear them but you need to ask questions. I hope this helps you.

Old 03-11-2004, 10:03 PM   #8

Tessalou HB User

Thanks for knife idea. I used my husbands small box cutter. Kind of like a craft knife and it worked a lot better than the scissors. You are right I have been giving seeing another dentist a lot of thought. I went to this one because he was the cheapest. I have heard though that other dentist don't usually like working on someone else's mistake. I am a little disappointed in the temporary reline because the one you buy from Wal-Mart for $3.47 was actually more comfortable on the gums. It just didn't last as long, just 3 to 4 days. My hard reline will cost $260. The soft reline cost $70. I will have to wait until next year to get a new denture made. My insurance has been used up for this year. Sometime I feel as if maybe it is too soon to start complaining so much. Today will be 22 days of having them. I still have good bit of uneven gums and tender ridges. My speech is pretty good, just whistle with the "S's". I have talked to my brother and sister-in-law about their dentures. They went to the same dental clinic but there was a different dentist there at the time that made theirs. They have had their dentures around 4 years. She has just has the uppers and he has both. They don't really have that many problems, just some looseness and both have been eating with them since they got them. Didn't really get that much input from them since my sister- in- law is best friends with the lady that runs the Clinic. My sister says just give it some more time because she couldn't eat without taking her bridge out for a month when she first got it. Just hoping things get better real soon. Thanks to you all for listening to my problems.

Old 03-12-2004, 07:36 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Hi, Thanks for the update, you should not have to suffer with poorly made and poorly fitting dentures. You paid for an appliance that is supposed to fit your mouth. I know it is a hassle but I would ask the dentist who made these teeth for a new set that fits or your money back. Hopefully you can get some satisfaction. Not everyone who gets dentures has the exact same reaction to them- your brother and sister in law may not have had as much damage to the supporting structures in their mouths so theire dentures may fit better. The dentist is supposed to be your advocate and do his best for you. Regardless of friendship or past relationships- your health is more important. Dentures are an expensive proposition and a lifetime committment so having them done properly is paramount. I know cost is a factor but these are your teeth now- cheap doesn't cut it!

Closed Thread