It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2004, 07:29 AM   #1
(female)

silverandgold HB User
Getting wisdom teeth out when you are older...

I am 35 years old and it appears I may be having to have all four wisdom teeth taken out. I should have done it years ago, when it was recommended, but fear took over and I just didn't do it. Now, years later, I am nursing a wisdom tooth infection and my dentist recommends that I have all my wisdom teeth removed as they will more than likely cause me trouble down the line. I think it makes sense, and this time I want to do it. Guess I got the wisdom, so I don't need the teeth!

I am nervous about the whole thing (never had any kind of surgery before or been "put under"). But I've read that it's much better to have the wisdom teeth out while you are young -- as there are more complications as you get older, as well as a tendency not to heal as quickly. Anyone here have experience with having their wisdom teeth out when they were older? Also, how long should I expect to be out of work?

Old 03-08-2004, 10:19 AM   #2

ussentinel HB User
Re: Getting wisdom teeth out when you are older...

Hi! I'm a 37 year-old male who was in a similiar situation last month. Like you, I was VERY nervous about the procedure and hadn't had any experience with being sedated before. I talked to others who had gone through this personally, via the internet, and on this board; and benefitted from anyone who was willing to share their experience with me.

I think everyone's account and healing time is different and varies from individual to individual. At my initial consult with the oral surgeon, I was given the option to be put under or not. Everyone I talked to beforehand told me to be sedated as much as possible. I had three erupted teeth extracted and so I had it done under "twilight sedation." I didn't go under right away & I'd say I was in a light sleep throughout the whole process which lasted about 50 minutes (although to me, it only felt like 10 minutes passed). I remember minor bits and pieces of the surgery, but I wasn't in any pain at all during this. I suspect my anesthesia was closely monitored. In fact for me, the cost of the anesthesia was more than the cost of the extractions themselves. I took it easy for the rest of the day. But by the next day, I was up and around and went to the Chicago Auto Show. I was on vicadin for a few days after; that really helped. I had mine out on a Thursday, and was back to work the following Monday.

My upper socket healed much more quickly than my lower one did. In fact, I am still using a plastic syringe that my oral surgeon gave me on my follow-up consult, on my lower socket. Be expected to eat ONLY soft foods after, you won't be able to chew for a good week or two afterward. The procedure itself was fine, but it took a little longer than I thought for the dissolvable stitches to all go away. For me, it was about 10 days afterward.

I may be forgetting a few other details, but check out my thread on this board of my account of the procedure a few pages back labled "Twilight Sedation?/Wisdom Teeth/Do's and Don'ts". I hope this helps you out. Good luck, you'll do fine, and stay in touch!

Last edited by ussentinel; 03-08-2004 at 10:22 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2004, 10:24 AM   #3

taylormade HB User

From my understanding, if your teeth are not impacted and are thru the skin, it should be much easier, however, you say they are infected. I have had infected "root-cannalled" teeth before and that was nothing to mess around with. The infection can make you quite ill, make sure you are going to a reputable oral surgeon, not just a dentist, as they will tend to the infected bone. Take good care of yourself after the procedure, your body will take some time to heal, especially the jaw bone. I am having one pulled this week (I'm older than you, so I feel your pain!) I'm planning on at least two days of "down time".
Your oral surgeon will tell you what and what not to do while you heal. Good luck!

Old 03-08-2004, 05:38 PM   #4

Doppler4000 HB User

Yes, get all four of them out... you'll never have to do it again and you'll never miss those teeth. Go to an oral surgeon (NOT a family / general dentist) and take the IV cocktail so you'll snooze right through it. The recovery will probably be similar to getting over a bad cold or flu. Expect a couple of days or a weekend until you're kinda going again, but it could be either more or less. As long as you're generally healthy, don't smoke, follow post-op instructions etc. you should heal up fine.

Old 03-08-2004, 08:33 PM   #5

frankie82 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussentinel
In fact, I am still using a plastic syringe that my oral surgeon gave me on my follow-up consult, on my lower socket.
I was going to mention this in the other thread, but THANK YOU for mentioning the syringe thing. My oral surgeon didn't give me one or even suggest it. My dad's a pharmacist and was able to get me one. I had all my wisdom teeth out almost 2 months ago, but I still have holes where the lower teeth were extracted, and it's been a pain in the rear keeping them clean, and the syringe is really helping.

Closed Thread