It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2004, 02:58 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User
Anxiety attacks at dentist appt.

Hi everyone: Yesterday, I had an onlay seated on an upper right molar and a filling done on the upper left side. I always get anxiety at the dentist, so I took a Xanax before leaving the house. It didn't help relax me at all. I wasn't in pain, but it seemed like he was drilling forever and when he put that green rubber thing around my tooth, I felt claustrophobic. I felt like I could have blacked out at any moment. Needless to say, I couldn't wait til the appt. was done. It's hard to keep my mouth open for long periods of time b/c I have TMJ. Amazingly, I don't have a headache today from the muscle tension!!! I know I have to get the anxiety under control for many reasons, but I've tried deep breathing, meditation, etc. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2004, 08:56 PM   #2

Hannah'smom HB User
Re: Anxiety attacks at dentist appt.

This is much easier said than done, but I have had lots and lots of dental work done and I have a huge fear of the dentist. Today I had to have my first root canal. The main thing is...RELAX. Sound too easy? It probably is, but today it really worked for me and i was crying about it going into the office. Coming out I was smiling and happy. I am not in fear of any of the pain from the shots or anything, i just hate the sound of the drill. It drives me up the wall. But today I had a wonderful endodontist and she talked me through the whole process and even had me laughing at some points. I had to constantly think to release my muscles to relax. It worked though. Just stay focused and keep all your muscles relaxed. If you have a dentist that doesn't help calm you, find another. That is very important.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread