It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2004, 03:09 PM   #1

LucyTheWarrior HB User
Infection

I know this isn't a "dental" problem per say, but this seemed like the most appropriate place to submit my post...

About two weeks ago, I noticed that there was some white nastiness on my left tonsil. The tonsil seemed sort of swollen. Every so often, these gross pieces of whitish/yellowish stuff will come out of it. I suppose its an infection, but can your tonsil get infected like that? I've never heard of such a thing before. What causes this kind of stuff? Do I need to go see a doctor about it, or will it just go away on its own?

Old 03-10-2004, 08:25 PM   #2

Halo31 HB User
Re: Infection

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyTheWarrior
I know this isn't a "dental" problem per say, but this seemed like the most appropriate place to submit my post...

About two weeks ago, I noticed that there was some white nastiness on my left tonsil. The tonsil seemed sort of swollen. Every so often, these gross pieces of whitish/yellowish stuff will come out of it. I suppose its an infection, but can your tonsil get infected like that? I've never heard of such a thing before. What causes this kind of stuff? Do I need to go see a doctor about it, or will it just go away on its own?
I forget the technical name for the white pieces of stuff, but I was told by a Dr. that it is simply plaque (food debris) that builds up in the pockets of your tonsils. You can simply touch it to get it out then gargle with an antiseptic. It isn't an infection , unless they are sore and you have fever. The first time I saw them on my tonsils, I thought Oh my goodness, I have cancer. I was assured it was simply food particles that build up!!! Hope this helps!

Halo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2004, 10:06 PM   #3
(female)

ACluelessOne HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyTheWarrior

I agree with Halo31, that it could just be something stuck in the pockets. I have had something similiar happen, and what it was for me, was a piece of popcorn husk got caught in it.

As tricky as they are to start off with (popcorn husks).. I think I had to resort to using a bright light, a mirror, and my finger to get it out.. kinda gross, I know.. but it worked..

If you can't get it to come out (whatever it is) or develop a fever, then I would go see the doc..

Also, try gargling with salt water..

Old 03-11-2004, 07:01 AM   #4

alessia HB User

I think the technical name is tonsilolith or tonsil stone. I get those from time to time too, and they are Yucky! They can actually get calcified on the top and be hard to get out. I use a qtip. hth.

Closed Thread