It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2004, 07:29 PM   #1

caitlyn's mom HB User
Dentists or denture clinic

Hi i have a question about partial plates. Has any one had a bad experience with denture clinics as opposed to a dentist doing their dentures or partials? I am going this week to a denture clinic to have an upper partial made. I did not have my dentist do it because of the cost . He charged $350 more than a denture clinic would have. I just want to make sure that when i get them they look and feel real. Any advice would be helpful.

Caitlyn's Mom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2004, 07:08 AM   #2

gossgal HB User
Re: Dentists or denture clinic

Hi.. thats a great question i have been wondering myself..lol. I go on the 19 to my dentist to get impression made for imediate dentures. I live in vt but there is a USA franchise, one is in albany ny(45 min away) called affordable dentures.. try it in your search engine, they make and give you your dentures in one day...sounds to good to be true huh? i think so. i wish you luck and if you find out any info please share before i waste my money. I will also try to do some research.Good luck....gossgal

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2004, 08:17 AM   #3

caitlyn's mom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossgal
Hi.. thats a great question i have been wondering myself..lol. I go on the 19 to my dentist to get impression made for imediate dentures. I live in vt but there is a USA franchise, one is in albany ny(45 min away) called affordable dentures.. try it in your search engine, they make and give you your dentures in one day...sounds to good to be true huh? i think so. i wish you luck and if you find out any info please share before i waste my money. I will also try to do some research.Good luck....gossgal
Hi gossgal i live in canada. The denture clinic i am going to will have my partial ready in 1 week I dont plan on putting any money in their hands until i am completley satisfied with the fit and the look if i am not happy i wont buy them. I went through alot of dental work to get ready for this partial. The last thing i want is fake LOOKING teeth lol . I spent $2700 at the dentist since december of this year. I dont want a $ 2.00 looking partial. As it is they charge $700 .

Caitlyn's mom

Old 03-12-2004, 12:43 PM   #4

mysticvenus HB User

Before I had my dental work done I checked into one of those "denture clinics" What I found was that while they were very cheap, they didn't even do impressions for your dentures. They just measure your mouth and then put in a set of dentures off the shelf. To me it just didn't seem possible to just pluck a set of dentures off a shelf and have them fit worth a darn. I decided to go to a regular dentist and have impressions done instead.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has used a "dental clinic" and how they fared.

Old 03-12-2004, 03:42 PM   #5

caitlyn's mom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticvenus
Before I had my dental work done I checked into one of those "denture clinics" What I found was that while they were very cheap, they didn't even do impressions for your dentures. They just measure your mouth and then put in a set of dentures off the shelf. To me it just didn't seem possible to just pluck a set of dentures off a shelf and have them fit worth a darn. I decided to go to a regular dentist and have impressions done instead.

HI mysticvenus i have already asked my denture clinic if they will have to do impressions when i go see them monday. They told me they will do impressions and it will be sent out to be made and it should be ready within the week. I will let you know monday if that is true . I know one thing nobody is putting any teeth in my mouth that has been sitting on a shelf for god knows how long and in whos mouth they have been in. I will go without teeth first lol.

Caitlyn's mom

Old 03-13-2004, 02:05 PM   #6

gossgal HB User
Question Re: Dentists or denture clinic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticvenus

OMG! what a horror story...lol i cant imagine just getting teeth of the shelf!This "affordable denture" clinic was helpful when i called. They sad that i would come at 8 am and have impressions done, little later in day try in wax set then by end of day or next day recieve dentures? seems funny to me though.Has any one else used this clinic?I am going to dentist on 19 to get immediate impressions done. I wish i dared go they other way instead of going other route waiting &waiting.I hate to waste the money though and have teeth look worse than they do now. Maybe i'll just keep my bad ones...lol. If any more info anyone pllleeeaaassseeee write im so confused on way to go......gossgal

Old 03-16-2004, 08:49 AM   #7

caitlyn's mom HB User

Quote:
OMG! what a horror story...lol i cant imagine just getting teeth of the shelf!This "affordable denture" clinic was helpful when i called. They sad that i would come at 8 am and have impressions done, little later in day try in wax set then by end of day or next day recieve dentures? seems funny to me though.Has any one else used this clinic?I am going to dentist on 19 to get immediate impressions done. I wish i dared go they other way instead of going other route waiting &waiting.I hate to waste the money though and have teeth look worse than they do now. Maybe i'll just keep my bad ones...lol. If any more info anyone pllleeeaaassseeee write im so confused on way to go......gossgal
Hi gossgal.I went to see a denturest yesterday. I did not like the guy i did not feel comfortable. He was pushing a new partial denture i had never heard of before something called a valplast flexible denture. I did not let him do impressions . I told him i would think about it and call him back . When i got home i started calling other denture clinics in my area all but one said they do not make these valplast dentures and the one that said he would if i put a gun to his head he would make it but he does not like them . He said dentures are not made to be flexible , As he put it are our own teeth flexible in our mouth. He said it would be unstable and there is no way to realine them. So i made an appointment at another denture clinic for monday. I either want the acrylic denture with no clasps or a metal denture i am not sure which one . The acrylic is the least expensive . I will let you know how i make out
caitlyn's mom

Old 03-16-2004, 10:46 AM   #8

gossgal HB User

Flexible dentures dont sound the way to go. Im am alittle worried as on friday i have not met this dentist yet and i tried to get in to make an appointment to ask questions but they said there will be plenty of time to ask questions on friday. After i ask my questions on friday if i dont like him do i just walk out?They already have a copy of my x rays from 2 weeks ago so i wont owe them anything i dont believe. Argggg this is so confusing. Im wondering if i should just go to a clinic.What is the metal denture? im not sure i have heard of this. good luck and keep in touch

Old 03-16-2004, 12:14 PM   #9

caitlyn's mom HB User

Quote:
Flexible dentures dont sound the way to go. Im am alittle worried as on friday i have not met this dentist yet and i tried to get in to make an appointment to ask questions but they said there will be plenty of time to ask questions on friday. After i ask my questions on friday if i dont like him do i just walk out?They already have a copy of my x rays from 2 weeks ago so i wont owe them anything i dont believe. Argggg this is so confusing. Im wondering if i should just go to a clinic.What is the metal denture? im not sure i have heard of this. good luck and keep in touch
Hi gassgal. To answer your question if you are the least bit uncomfortable with this dentist . Or you feel they are not willing to give you their undevided attention and answer your questions by all means get up and walk out. I have . Before you go to your dentist call around and see if you can get in to a denture clinic for a free consaltation. A metal partial denture has metal on the back of the partial along your natural teeth and metal clasps that hook on to your teeth they are a longer lasting partial than acrylic they are more expensive than acrylic. I started a new thread just to see what other people thought of the acrylic verses the metal it should be interesting to see. By the way what are you seeing the dentist for friday? keep me posted as to what he says.
Caitlyn's mom

Old 03-16-2004, 12:47 PM   #10

gossgal HB User

I am going on friday to get impressions done for immediate dentures.i have no choice to get teeth pulled due to eating disorders and lack of dental care(dental phobia...lol)My oral surgeon told me i would be better off going to a dentist for dentures instead of a clinic as clinics tend to make cheap mass produced products. Im not sure as the dentist and surgeon are not connected so im thinking maybe the oral surgeon is telling me the truth? thanks for reply....gossgal

Old 03-16-2004, 01:37 PM   #11

caitlyn's mom HB User

Quote:
I am going on friday to get impressions done for immediate dentures.i have no choice to get teeth pulled due to eating disorders and lack of dental care(dental phobia...lol)My oral surgeon told me i would be better off going to a dentist for dentures instead of a clinic as clinics tend to make cheap mass produced products. Im not sure as the dentist and surgeon are not connected so im thinking maybe the oral surgeon is telling me the truth? thanks for reply....gossgal
Hi gassgal. I dont agree with your oral surgeon. The denturests are highly trained in the area of dentures. Where as a dentist mostly deals in oral health. The dentist sends the impressions to a dental lab or denture lab he does not make them himself. Most denturests that i have called have the lab right there and make them themselves. I would think that they would pay very close attention to detail as they deal with this every day that is their job . They are the same as dentists you have to find the right one . My dentist said that denturists are very good at what they do and he had no problem with me going to them for my partial as he said he will only send the impressions to a dental lab anyway and if i could get it a little cheaper through them go for it. He did not have anything bad to say . If i were you i would still check out the denture clinics in your area. they are a lot cheaper than the dentist.
Caitlyn's mom

Old 03-17-2004, 10:35 AM   #12

gossgal HB User

OK thanks..i live in southern vermont and i cant seem to find one around here.Im wondering how to find one. I have tried searching online but i guess someone in vermont has no options....boo hoo...thanks and good luck...gossgal

Closed Thread