It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2004, 09:54 AM   #1
(female)

Linda1164 HB User
Question Just had an extraction

I just (Friday evening - 3/12/04) had one of my back molars pulled due to a root canal which got bad after many years.

The oral surgeon had a pretty hard time getting the tooth out - he said that my roots are shaped differently than most. My jaw is very sore and I'm in some pain. I've been taking Tylenol or Motrin pretty much around the clock since the extraction (today is Sunday).

Can anyone tell me how long it might be before this pain goes away??!! I just have the feeling that this won't be going away for a while... I guess I'm being a baby but it's sooo annoying!!

Also, how long before I can exercise (step aerobics/weights) again?? I'm just terrified of loosening the blood clot in the socket. Is it safe to exercise???

The dentist gave me a prescription for Vicodan but I didn't get it filled cuz I was hoping I wouldn't need it. I'm starting to think I should have gotten it, because I've been waking up early in the morning in pain, and having to get up & take something in order to get back to sleep.

Advice please!!!

Old 03-14-2004, 10:11 AM   #2

Infogirl06 HB User
Re: Just had an extraction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda1164
I just (Friday evening - 3/12/04) had one of my back molars pulled due to a root canal which got bad after many years.

The oral surgeon had a pretty hard time getting the tooth out - he said that my roots are shaped differently than most. My jaw is very sore and I'm in some pain. I've been taking Tylenol or Motrin pretty much around the clock since the extraction (today is Sunday).

Can anyone tell me how long it might be before this pain goes away??!! I just have the feeling that this won't be going away for a while... I guess I'm being a baby but it's sooo annoying!!

Also, how long before I can exercise (step aerobics/weights) again?? I'm just terrified of loosening the blood clot in the socket. Is it safe to exercise???

The dentist gave me a prescription for Vicodan but I didn't get it filled cuz I was hoping I wouldn't need it. I'm starting to think I should have gotten it, because I've been waking up early in the morning in pain, and having to get up & take something in order to get back to sleep.

Advice please!!!

Hi, sorry for your pain. I had teeth out so I know what u are going through. For the first few days u will be in pain prob due to tenderness and the bone being brused up. If you are in so much pain i would take the meds the Dr gave u. You will feel much better and rest your mouth.
And also did u put some ice on your cheek?
That helps too.
I have one tooth that's little cracked and My Dr won't fixed it til 2 weeks later. I said forget that. I know I will need a crown. Or maybe a RCT. But I don't want to go through all that since some of my Rct never worked and after spending all that $ and I ended up pulling them.( this was 2 years ago) so I'm calling the oral surgeon tomorrow. so I'll prob be in your shoes soon. Anyway hang in there!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2004, 10:19 AM   #3
(female)

Linda1164 HB User

Thanks for your advice, and I'm sorry to hear about your dental problems...

Yes, I did put ice on my cheek the night of the extraction. My jaw doesn't look swollen from the outside, so I guess it did help. I'm not good with pain so I guess I could be being a big baby about it, but this sure is uncomfortable!!

Good luck with your teeth; hopefully you won't have to have them extracted... I hope I never have to go through this again!!

Old 03-14-2004, 10:32 AM   #4

Infogirl06 HB User

Quote:
Thanks for your advice, and I'm sorry to hear about your dental problems...

Yes, I did put ice on my cheek the night of the extraction. My jaw doesn't look swollen from the outside, so I guess it did help. I'm not good with pain so I guess I could be being a big baby about it, but this sure is uncomfortable!!

Good luck with your teeth; hopefully you won't have to have them extracted... I hope I never have to go through this again!!

Yeah I felt like that too... I think your bone is brused up. I used to suck on ice pops and that helped alot also. It's going to take a few weeks feel better.. so hang in there!
If not call your Dr's office tomorrow.

Old 03-15-2004, 11:43 AM   #5
(female)

Linda1164 HB User
Thumbs down Re: Just had an extraction

Just an update.

I called the dentist's office a little while ago, because I'm still having a considerable amount of pain and I just looked at my jaw, and my gum is distended and red at the extraction site. Also, not to gross anyone out, but inside the socket, it's whitish gray looking... They told me to come in and have him look at it, so I'm doing that when I leave work... Oh boy.....

Old 03-15-2004, 01:02 PM   #6

Infogirl06 HB User

Quote:
Just an update.

I called the dentist's office a little while ago, because I'm still having a considerable amount of pain and I just looked at my jaw, and my gum is distended and red at the extraction site. Also, not to gross anyone out, but inside the socket, it's whitish gray looking... They told me to come in and have him look at it, so I'm doing that when I leave work... Oh boy.....

Ohhh poor thing! I feel for ya!
I just got back from the oral surgeon's today cuz I got my tooth out. Mine doesn't hurt at all but I think u have dry socket maybe.
The Dr will put some meds in there to make it feel better I think.
Let me know how u do!
Good luck! Hang in there : )

Old 03-15-2004, 03:26 PM   #7
(female)

Linda1164 HB User

OMG, you got your tooth extracted??!! Which tooth is it?? Was it a molar?? How could it not hurt at all??!! WTH??!! Am I the only one going through hell when getting a tooth extracted??!! Waaaaaaaaaa!!!!! (:::crying::: )

Old 03-16-2004, 12:12 AM   #8

NLee HB User

[B]I need to get an extraction. It's due to the same reason. Bad tooth to begin with and my dentist did a root canal, which was a waste of money.
Now I have to have it pulled.
I just wonder why an oral surgeon has to do it and why can't a regular denstist do it. My husband had a tooth pulled by the dentist, why can't I?

Old 03-16-2004, 06:27 AM   #9
(female)

Linda1164 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLee
[B]I need to get an extraction. It's due to the same reason. Bad tooth to begin with and my dentist did a root canal, which was a waste of money.
Now I have to have it pulled.
I just wonder why an oral surgeon has to do it and why can't a regular denstist do it. My husband had a tooth pulled by the dentist, why can't I?
Mine was pulled by an oral surgeon too. I think that a regular dentist can do some extractions, but maybe it depends on which tooth has to be pulled??

Old 03-16-2004, 08:30 AM   #10

Infogirl06 HB User

Quote:
OMG, you got your tooth extracted??!! Which tooth is it?? Was it a molar?? How could it not hurt at all??!! WTH??!! Am I the only one going through hell when getting a tooth extracted??!! Waaaaaaaaaa!!!!! (:::crying::: )

Hi. i got my upper back molar pulled. I went to a oral surgeon. how is your mouth now?
Did u go see your Dr?
Hope u feel better.

Old 03-16-2004, 10:28 AM   #11
(female)

Linda1164 HB User

It's still the same Infogirl!! I made another post called "Lump on Gum after Extraction"... This definitely ranks as one of the worst experiences of my life!!

Old 03-16-2004, 07:58 PM   #12

Infogirl06 HB User

Quote:
It's still the same Infogirl!! I made another post called "Lump on Gum after Extraction"... This definitely ranks as one of the worst experiences of my life!!

poor thing!!! Call your Dr and take your pain meds. Hang in there!

Old 03-19-2004, 05:32 PM   #13
(female)

Linda1164 HB User

Another update...

I called the dentist the other day because I'm still in a lot of pain, and now even rinsing my mouth with warm water gives me a sharp, shooting pain deep down in my jaw!!!

Well, I went in to see him today and it turns out that I have dry socket!!! What a bummer, but I KNEW something was wrong!! They packed my tooth with that nasty-tasting stuff (dressing soaked in medicine), and I have to go back tomorrow to have it changed, and then again on Monday. He said hopefully that will be it.

It hurt like hell when he was packing my gums with that dressing, but then after about 10-15 minutes there was sweet relief from the pain that's been dogging me all week. But UGGH, every time I try to eat, I taste the medicine!!! Disgusting!! And he said I can't even rinse my mouth with water, cuz it might dislodge the dressing and also wash the medicine off...I'll be sooooo glad when this whole ordeal is over!! It has really been a nightmare!!

Old 03-20-2004, 07:37 AM   #14

Infogirl06 HB User

Quote:
Another update...

I called the dentist the other day because I'm still in a lot of pain, and now even rinsing my mouth with warm water gives me a sharp, shooting pain deep down in my jaw!!!

Well, I went in to see him today and it turns out that I have dry socket!!! What a bummer, but I KNEW something was wrong!! They packed my tooth with that nasty-tasting stuff (dressing soaked in medicine), and I have to go back tomorrow to have it changed, and then again on Monday. He said hopefully that will be it.

It hurt like hell when he was packing my gums with that dressing, but then after about 10-15 minutes there was sweet relief from the pain that's been dogging me all week. But UGGH, every time I try to eat, I taste the medicine!!! Disgusting!! And he said I can't even rinse my mouth with water, cuz it might dislodge the dressing and also wash the medicine off...I'll be sooooo glad when this whole ordeal is over!! It has really been a nightmare!!

Poor thing! I hope you feel better soon.
Now u have med packed in there you'll feel alot better soon.
When u said u were still in pain I had a feeling it was that. Hang in there!!! : )
Infogirl.

Old 03-22-2004, 08:39 AM   #15
(female)

Linda1164 HB User
Talking Re: Just had an extraction

Another update:

Went back in to the dentist Sat. morning for another packing for the dry socket. I had practically no pain for the whole weekend!! Tasting that clove oil in my mouth wasn't much fun, but I'll take that over the pain, any day!!

This morning (Monday) I went back in again, and he took the packing out, and put this other thing in... He says it will disintegrate on its own over the next day or so, and I won't need to go back there. Yaaay!! I'm feeling sooo much better now. The only thing is that my gum is still sticking out on the side (swollen). I'm hoping (praying!!) that it will go down as my gums heal up!! This stuff that he packed into my socket tastes even worse than the clove oil... YUCK!! And it's making my whole mouth feel kind of numb, like I ate some Anbesol or something... OK, I'll stop complaining now... at least the pain is gone!!

Closed Thread