It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2004, 08:50 AM   #1

summertime767 HB User
crown operation necessary?!

I would appreciate any advice people can offer on this...

Have had a few root canal treatments on my back teeth, both upper and lower.
I remember being warned about three years ago that the root canal weakens the tooth and a crown may then be necessary. When I moved to another country for a while another dentist altered everything the first had done...complete waste of an expensive operation.
Some time ago half of a back lower tooth with root canal broke off and the tooth blackened. Now I have a gaping hole there and does not look good ( luckily very far back and the rest of my teeth are white ).

I've had two holes in teeth fixed recently and was informed by my health insurance that only the first consultation without repair work will be reimbursed. So I am already out of pocket a lot of money. The dentist wants to put a crown over the blackened tooth and this will cost a fortune!!
It only broke off as a result of their root canal weakening it anyway.

What I want to know is whether it is possible to have simply some dental cement put over the hole so the black cannot be seen and go without the crown. All of this expense will be coming out of my own pocket so I don't want to be ripped off any further.....

Can anyone offer advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread