It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2004, 12:36 PM   #1

labgirl HB User
? for Rhody or anyone else -chelation

As some of you know, I have recently had 9 mercury fillings replaced with excellent results (so far). I have definitely noticed an improvement in my previously unexplained symptoms. My headaches are becoming less and less frequent and less severe, I feel like my energy is slowly returning, my blurred vision problem is improving too. My brainfog is clearing...I feel more like "me" again. Some people might say this is a coincidence, but I feel certain that my problems were related to my fillings. Anyway, here is my question...

3-4 months ago (when my symptoms started), after not finding any answers from various doctors, I asked my regular doctor to order a mercury blood test. The test came back negative (no mercury was found in my blood). I realize that a person can have a negative blood test for mercury, but still have mercury toxicity due to the fact that it exists within the tissues and organs. Well, this past week, after having my fillings out for 1 week, I asked my doctor to order a urine mercury test, because I have been taking supplements that were supposed to help chelate any mercury and release it from my body. I just found out that no mercury was found in my urine either. I'm very confused because I thought there should at least be something, even just a small amount, to show that my body was releasing it. I guess I was hoping the amount would be high, because then it would have confirmed what I thought all along. Now I'm wondering if my body is just not able to release the mercury, or maybe it's not even there in the first place, or maybe I need to give it more time. Do you think it's possible for the fillings themselves to have caused my problems, but maybe I'm not really toxic? Do I continue to try to chelate slowly? I'm not trying to seek official medical advice, but I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or experience on this.

Oh, and I started the supplements a few weeks before my amalgam removal. It's a multi that contains vitamin C, E, alpha lipoic acid, selenium, zinc, glutathione, MSM, and a few others, in a base of garlic, milk thistle, cilantro, and chlorella - it's made especially for amalgam removal patients. The directions indicated to take 8 per day, but I have only been taking 2 or 3 because I want to go slowly.

Any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2004, 12:58 PM   #2

labgirl HB User
Re: ? for Rhody or anyone else -chelation

I forgot to mention something in my previous post. I also had "alternative" testing done in my dentist office about 1 month before my amalgam removal. It's called electrodermal screening - as I understand, it uses accupressure-type points on a person's hand to measure electromagnetic impulses in the body. I had my biocompatibility testing done using this method too (to determine the best material for my new fillings). It measures how the body reacts to certain materials. Apparently this type of testing can be very specific for mercury and other metals, although it can't quantitate a substance in the body. What it did show, is that yes, I do have mercury in my body, and yes, it is creating problems. It measured a variety of toxic metals, and mercury came up as number 1 in causing problems in my body. It was an 8.5 on a 1-10 scale. It also indicated (by another numbers scale) that the offending substance was deep within my tissues.

I hope this makes sense - I tried to explain the best I could, but I'm sure an expert in this type of testing would have been able to give better information.

Old 03-16-2004, 08:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User
Re: ? for Rhody or anyone else -chelation

Hi Labgirl.

It's been some time since I've read about blood and urine tests. But I remember reading that they are not often reliable enough. They only help a person understand the levels of mercury that are entering and leaving the body, but do not reflect the amounts that are in the tissues (as I'm sure that you know).

I never did the extensive type of tests that you are trying, largely because I got tired of medical doctors who are in the dark concerning this subject. Also, I just continued to get better after the dental amalgams were removed. Except for one bad experiment with anti-mercury components, I was quite patient with just a slow detox (self-made) program.

Have you checked whether these blood and urine tests are accurate? Are they measuring this mercury in micrograms? Apparently we are exposed to mercury from a number of places, and if a test was accurate enough, you would think that it would be able to measure the very smallest amounts. You might want to consider getting another doctor that might be able to help you analyze these micro amounts.

It's nice to hear that you feel better.

Closed Thread