It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2004, 07:23 AM   #1

infantrywife HB User
Unhappy denture question

Hello everyone,

I am new to this board and I was hoping that some of you could help me out. I am 27 and I have had bad teeth since I can remember. They have always been yellow and brown. I brush everyday and I don't understand why, but I just do. My dream is to have perfect teeth. In order to achieve that I would have to have braces and then a ton of cosmetic work done. I had bonds put on 3 of my teeth a couple of years ago and and the dentist did a very poor job. The bonds are turning yellow and one of them has a brown spot on it. I see a dentist every six months. My husband is military and we move every couple of years. So I went to a new dentist a couple of weeks ago and they told me that I have to have a deep cleaning done because I have periodontal disease. This is going to cost me 250 out of my pocket and then every 3 months I have to have a cleaning that the insurance only covers some of. Anyways I asked him about redoing the bonding and he told me that he couldn't replace it that I would have to have veneers. I can't afford veneers. I can barely afford the deep cleaning. I also have one tooth missing in the back that I would have to get a bridge in. Anyways my question is how do I just get a dentist to pull all of my teeth and give me dentures. I have thought about this for years and have asked some dentists but they won't do it. They said my teeth were fine. Should I just let this periodontal disease go and then they won't have a choice or what else can I do. Please help. I just want to have perfect teeth and I think dentures is the best way to go.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2004, 09:43 AM   #2

gossgal HB User
Re: denture question

Well im sorry to hear your having problems like this. I am 25 and am having all my teeth pulled in about two weeks and am getting immediate dentures. Please get done what you can and then save for veneers...I wish i had only went earlier. Facing having all your teeth pulled depletes your self esteem. It has played an effect on my marriage(my low self esteem) and my everyday life. I feel angry, ugly and scared. Im am always wondering what people think of me and such...It goes on and on.Its a big decision to make and now that i have no other options but dentures i only can wish i had done what i could have to save my teeth...Just think it over.. some dentist have payment plans, maybe a loan or saving everything you can. I know saving is hard but i managed to save 1,200 for my immediate and my monthly income is pretty low( maybe 3,000 monthly for famliy of 4).I wish you best of luck and pray you can find the answer to you questions.....keep us posted .....gossgal

Old 03-17-2004, 09:51 AM   #3

infantrywife HB User

I am really sorry about the effects that all of this has caused you. I really just want perfect teeth. My teeth are crooked, yellow and I have a really bad overbite. The veneers are 800 per tooth and my husband is in the military and they don't get paid much. I could never come up with the money for veneers. I really wish I could, but I can't. I can't ever remember a time in my life that I had white teeth. I don't know what it is like to look in mirror and see white teeth. That is all I want to be able to do. I just can't get a dentist to see things my way. I thank you for replying and I wish you luck.

Old 03-17-2004, 10:12 AM   #4

gossgal HB User

I wish you luck also...there are some great people on here so maybe they may have some suggestions. I have found great acceptance here as im fairly new also.I wish you the best of luck and i hope you end up with that beautiful smile ur after..... lots of smiles gossgal.

Old 03-17-2004, 03:03 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User

Dentures are not the answer, they are the last resort. Do everything you can to preserve your teeth. I know you want nice pretty white teeth but you want them in your mouth- seeing them sitting in a cup on the sink has it's drawbacks. Work on your gums first- many healthy teeth are lost due to gum disease.

Old 03-19-2004, 09:49 AM   #6

mysticvenus HB User

If at all possible, try to save your teeth. I agree that dentures are a last resort. I had 24 teeth pulled in December and got immediate dentures. At the time I had it done, I was at a point of no return. There were no other options left. Get what work you can done. Forget the cosmetic for now and concentrate on getting your mouth healthy. After that you can start looking into the cosmetic. Please, please don't have your healthy teeth pulled.

Old 03-19-2004, 10:20 AM   #7

kimmers37 HB User

I totally agree that dentures are a last resort....I just got mine today after being without teeth for quite some time...I tried not to get my hopes up too high and didnt.....Yes the teeth are perfect & beautiful but how they are feeling in my mouth makes me wanna cry all over again as I did when I was contemplating dentures( in which was my only choice). It was my own fault for not following through with my treatment for gum disease a long time ago...and now I got to pay the price and start all over again adapting to the new foreign objects in my mouth...Hon.....Please do everything you can to save your real teeth cause in my opinion right now( which could be wrong as I am only on my first day with dentures)....nothing is like your originals. Kim

Old 03-19-2004, 11:48 AM   #8

mysticvenus HB User

Kim:

Give yourself some time to get used to your new teeth. I know it's a really big adjustment for you but just think of the huge adjustment you had to make when you had all or your teeth pulled. You had to learn to eat again and talk again. It's the same thing now with your new teeth. It will take a little time to get used to them but eventually you won't even really notice that you have them in. You will have to contend with sore spots for a little while until they get adjusted completely. Don't put off going to the dentist to have your sore spots fixed. Give yourself a chance with your new teeth. I've had mine for about three months now. I went though that tough period of adjustment too. It will all work out.

Old 03-20-2004, 04:18 AM   #9

kimmers37 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticvenus
Kim:

Give yourself some time to get used to your new teeth. I know it's a really big adjustment for you but just think of the huge adjustment you had to make when you had all or your teeth pulled. You had to learn to eat again and talk again. It's the same thing now with your new teeth. It will take a little time to get used to them but eventually you won't even really notice that you have them in. You will have to contend with sore spots for a little while until they get adjusted completely. Don't put off going to the dentist to have your sore spots fixed. Give yourself a chance with your new teeth. I've had mine for about three months now. I went though that tough period of adjustment too. It will all work out.
Thanks Mystic Venus:
I guess I really never thought of it that way. It sucked learning to talk and eat with no teeth but I am very good at it now((smiles))...then I put the dentures in and sound like an idiot.My mouth was so sore after two hours..and the bottoms are still hurting this morning. I am not wearing them to work today but will try again when i get home.I really miss my old ugly teeth.I am a little depressed now and my husband thinks I am acting stupid.He doesnt understand how I feel right now.I go back wednesday for adjustments...thanks again! Kim

Old 03-20-2004, 09:20 AM   #10

mysticvenus HB User

Kim:

I don't know where you are but I line my lowers with Seabond pads. It really helps with the soreness. Sore spots are really common with new dentures. Your dentist can take care of them but sanding down that section of your denture that is pressing against your gum and causing the soreness. Sounds like you're handling it the right way by wearing them for a short time at a time to allow you to get used to them. Do you really want your old ugly teeth back? I sure don't. I know how depressing it can be and fustrating. I promise as one denture wearer to another that is will get better. It does take time to relearn how to eat and talk. I've had mine for three months now. I don't wish for my old ugly teeth back. I hated the way I looked. It will get easier day by day. If you need someone to vent to, I'm here.

Old 03-20-2004, 11:42 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User

I agree with Mystic- try using some adhesive to cushion your gums. Since you have an appointment scheduled with the dentist for adjustments make sure your wear your teeth for a few hours before you go so he can see where the irritated spots are and correct them. In your situation being without teeth for so long is like taking a double hit. Not only does your mouth have to relearn to work with those snowshovels in there but it also have to retrain the muscles. Wear them as much as you can tolerate, then keep them in a little longer. You will build up tolerance to them. Things should get better every day.

Old 03-20-2004, 09:09 PM   #12

infantrywife HB User

Thanks for the advice. I have decided that I am going to try and fix my teeth. I go Thursday for my first of two appointments to have the deep scaling done. I know they have to numb me for it, but I hope it doesn't hurt to bad after. My gums are really sore and my teeth and my gums hurt after I eat. I hope this cleaning helps with all of that. My mom had the peri disease when she was my age she lost all of her teeth. I wonder if it is something that gets passed down. I go to the dentist every six months so I am still trying to figure out why I got this in the first place. Anyways after all of this is over I am going to work on gettin braces and then work on getting all of my teeth whitened. Thanks again.

Old 03-21-2004, 04:07 AM   #13

kimmers37 HB User

Thanks Mystic:
My mouth was so sore yesterday ...I couldnt even get my bottom denture in.I didnt even wear them at all. i am hoping I can try again today.I am having a real hard time getting them in & out of my mouth. The bottom is extremely snug and its difficult to put in & take out.I am so frustrated...I could just throw the damn things!!!! Kim

Old 03-21-2004, 04:10 AM   #14

kimmers37 HB User

Thanks Sandy! It really is a big adjustment for me....I hope I can get used to my dentures. I really am having a rough time right now. I feel like I have been waiting forever and now I am still unhappy.Kim

Old 03-21-2004, 04:13 AM   #15

kimmers37 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrywife
Thanks for the advice. I have decided that I am going to try and fix my teeth. I go Thursday for my first of two appointments to have the deep scaling done. I know they have to numb me for it, but I hope it doesn't hurt to bad after. My gums are really sore and my teeth and my gums hurt after I eat. I hope this cleaning helps with all of that. My mom had the peri disease when she was my age she lost all of her teeth. I wonder if it is something that gets passed down. I go to the dentist every six months so I am still trying to figure out why I got this in the first place. Anyways after all of this is over I am going to work on gettin braces and then work on getting all of my teeth whitened. Thanks again.
I am happy for you Infantry Wife...saving your teeth is so important. I wish I would have made the decision you have years ago.Good luck to you my friend.Kim

Closed Thread